Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Troegs Splinter Gold 2013

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by 1up, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1up

1up Mar 5, 2013 District of Columbia

2. fmccormi

fmccormi Oct 24, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

I SAW THAT. Very intriguing. Anyone know what kind of yield there will be for this release, or pricing?

Should be interesting . . .
  3. fmccormi

Beer Trader

But let's hope that whatever the release looks like, it and the beer don't turn into a people-murdering-each-other freakout situation.
  4. stakem

stakem Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

While I am excited to see this topic brought up; the rumors, speculation, assumptions and inevitable hysteria will run amuck until oneraindog enters this thread and drops the facts/release details on us.

Some historical info for your consideration:
    Batch 1 was only 300 bottles sold that came from the yield of 2 wine barrels.

When Gold batch 2 was rebrewed (March 2010) they stated "a much bigger batch this time around." A picture showed 16 wine barrels instead of 2. However, supposedly not all of them made the cut for being used.

I would not be surprised if the bottle count this time around was in excess of a thousand or 2. However, with them being at Hershey now it is anyone's guess what the release will look like.
  5. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Meaning, you wouldn't be surprised if it's a big(ish) release?
  6. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

I hope so, for everyone's sake. I also remember seeing rumors that it might be in smaller bottles and for on-site consumption only, but who knows if that's true.
  7. stakem

Beer Trader

I dont understand the context of your question.

Big as in how many people attend a release? Yeah it will be huge. Splinter Gold is probably their most sought after brew. Every time Troegs does an "event" at the new Hershey location it is a packed house.

Big as in thousands of bottles that will see distribution? Highly unlikely.

The pictures I saw were 750's of the new batch
  8. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Yeah I meant in terms of yield. I wasn't expecting distribution by any means, but was curious if you were implying that the Hershey facility should have a greater capacity for making beer like this.
  9. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That's good news. I also heard 375 ml, on-site consumption only, too.
  10. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Why is that good news? 750s = half the bottle count, twice the price.

Particularly with a 12% beer, 375s are definitely the way to go IMO.
    xnicknj, Thorpe429 and warriorsoul like this.
  11. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

These would be bottles I'd share. Would much rather do that with a 750 ml, especially if they're sold to-go.
    chase2634 likes this.
  12. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Naturally, but I'd rather see twice as many bottles get shared, even if the pours are less generous - plus, there's no law against opening two 375s at the same time if that's how you like to roll.

A larger number of smaller bottles will mean that the beer ultimately gets shared with far more people than would get to enjoy it otherwise, which to me is a win.
  13. dfclav

dfclav Dec 5, 2010 New Jersey

I remember Ed saying for a fact that there definitely will be bottles for take home, but they weren't 100% on bottling 375's or not.

Hope this helps, cheers!
  14. stakem

Beer Trader

I thought I read that somewhere as well but could not locate it to re-read it.

I dont think 375's are gonna happen unless there was a mistake made on the label they got approved. The new label (pictured above) has the updated location of Hershey, bottled march 2013 and an indication of 750ml format.

Edit: from the last disussion in October where Ed chimed in with details:
  15. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Wow! For the last 9 weeks I cut myself off from beer for my biggest loser contest. Weighed out this morning and I'm actually drinking at work (shhhhh). Thought that post said Schpintcer Gold. Need to regain my tolerance.
  16. kenatbeerswap

kenatbeerswap Dec 9, 2010 Pennsylvania

I was down at Troegs on Feb 27th and they were bottling the Gold Splinter in 750ml bottles. They had two pallets completed (they were only stacked 2 cases high) and were almost complete with a third pallet. I figured they had at least 1000 bottles corked and caged and had a huge pallet of empty bottles still sitting there. I had to leave so I don't know how much more they bottled. I did not see any 375ml bottles anywhere so I highly doubt there will be any this time. Now it's a waiting game while the beer ferments/bottle conditions and they determine it's ready. Could be a month or two or several months, only the beer knows.
  17. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That's great news - hopefully they put a reasonable limit on bottles (2-3?) and the release is smooth instead of a total shitshow like it has the potential to be :)
  18. haazer

haazer Aug 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

I sense a "sick day" on the horizon....
    chase2634 likes this.
  19. kenatbeerswap

Ok, a little more info but take it with a grain of salt.
    I see 4 pallets that are stacked 3 high. The one pallet is not completely full.
    Just doing my gozinits it looks to be around 1500 to 1700 bottles they filled.
    They could have more stashed were I can't see. I would probably lean towards 1500 bottles
    But could be wrong. We will see.
    1up likes this.
  20. mynie

mynie Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Dumb question: I'm visiting PA for the first time since I've been of beer-buying age, and I wonder how does one acquire bombers in the state? I thought that all beer had to purchased by the case.
  21. lpotter

lpotter Dec 13, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Well, you can buy a case of bombers, which is twelve. Or you could go to a bottle shop. There, you can buy 192 oz. or less per transaction. They are usually bars, restaurants, or some grocery stores. Where in PA are you going to be? I'm sure some locals would be happy to point you in the right direction.
  22. chase2634

chase2634 Nov 10, 2009 Pennsylvania

Glad i've banked a pile of vacation/sick days cuzz this is a definite for me! If we're lucky we might even get some decent weather this time around.
  23. knappjf

knappjf Sep 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Does anyone know the release quantity of Oak Horizontal? Seems like a limited release, need to decide if have to invest in a couple more bottles for the celler now, or if I can wait.
  24. 1up

I couldn't find this anywhere
  25. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

Are you saying you aren't rooting for Splinter Black-like weather?
    chase2634 and dfclav like this.
  26. Corbet

Corbet Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I think a beercation is in order that happens to coincide with this release. Only 7 hours away...
  27. mtk180

mtk180 Jan 18, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Need a bottle of this guy...displaced pennsylvanian in california!
  28. dan027

dan027 Mar 28, 2011 Pennsylvania

It was definitely a limited release but not extremely so. I think the amount was similar to that of Red Thunder but there was like no fanfare and it almost seemed like it was released in secret. When I was there for the White Monkey release the first weekend in March the brewery didn't have anymore and I haven't seen it around anywhere lately. My advice, if you see it, grab as much as you can.
  29. chase2634

chase2634 Nov 10, 2009 Pennsylvania

If it keeps the mob away i'll begrudgingly take Splinter Black weather, but how nice would it be if it was right around 70 degrees and clear. I have yet to attend a release where the weather was nice. Maybe the beer Gods will grace us with a Golden day!
  30. 1up

I have an extra White Monkey if anyone needs one
    dan027 likes this.
  31. starrdogg

starrdogg Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Anyone heard any news on when this might be happening?
  32. orangesol

orangesol Dec 6, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Those of you expecting a big bottle release like Tröegs has done in the past may be in for a rude awaking.
    They, and to a larger extent the township, will not want to put up with all the headaches that come along with a beer release on the scale of what this one could be.
  33. 1up

Are you implying a silent release to retailers?
  34. starrdogg

starrdogg Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I'm guessing a silent release at the brewery. There's no way Splinter Gold is going into distribution.
  35. orangesol

orangesol Dec 6, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I honestly doubt that you will ever see that. You may see something special coming out more frequently at the brewery once the new bottling line is up and running but I doubt anything like that will ever see distribution, never say never tho.

Its all guess work honestly. However, knowing how the township works around there I doubt they will approve of people drinking all night and sleeping in a parking lot just for beer. Also, Tröegs has not done a release in two and a half years, doesn't mean they haven't been watching how the others have gone to shit (for the most part). They will make their money either way, getting into the hands of the locals who support you the most is just icing on the cake IMO.
  36. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Oh man, I was already planning a trip there on the 18th, hope the timing works out.
    franklinn likes this.
  37. dashirey

dashirey Oct 16, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sneak preview of Splinter Gold today at VIP session of PAFlavor according to Troegs twitter. Anyone get to try it?
  38. kenatbeerswap

From what I remember from the first Gold Splinter release it tasted close to the same. It's very good can't wait for the release, whenever it is.
  39. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey

Wow that is awesome.
    1up likes this.
  40. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

According to a Beer Pulse retweet:

"5pm today Splinter Gold available in both the Tasting Room (on-premise consumption) and the General Store (to-go).$22.95 + tax for a 750."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!