Trophy Brewing Company

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by JebediahScooter, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Just got back from Trophy Brewing Company and wanted to let folks know that they are officially opening tomorrow. So if you're in Raleigh, get over to Morgan Street (near Irregardless Cafe) tomorrow at 6pm to sample their brews. If I recall off the top of my head, the tap list currently includes Simcoe pale ale, Slingshot coffee porter, a Citra saison, a brown ale, a peanut butter dubbel, and a Belgian pale with Nelson Sauvin. I sampled the porter, the pale ale, the saison, the dubbel, and the BPA, and all were excellent. The peanut butter dubbel was really interesting...I've had peanut butter beers that were total novelties but not something that I'd want more than a few ounces of, but this was very tasty and drinkable. They also have a counter-pressure growler filler station and great 32oz growlers, which I'm digging because it makes for a nice easy couple of beers on a weeknight without committing to a whole growler.

If you don't know about Trophy yet, give them a look. It is the brainchild of the Busy Bee folks, so you know that it's being done right by guys who really care about beer. The head brewer Les is good people, and he has all sorts of interesting ideas. Looks like they're not going to stick to a regular lineup; rather, the goal is to try a bunch of new stuff and keep a range of styles on tap at all times. Sours and barrel aged beers are in the immediate forecast, and a patio and food will be coming this spring.

http://www.facebook.com/TrophyBrewing
    https://twitter.com/Trophybrewing
    http://www.trophybrewing.com/

CWinchell, ASUBeer, leschkie and 3 others like this.
  2. wolfeman007

wolfeman007 Aspirant (244) Aug 26, 2007 North Carolina

look forward to trying their brews..love me some busybee..

leschkie, LarsonLE and marine1975 like this.
  3. marine1975

marine1975 Disciple (369) Apr 27, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I tried for BnB!

4. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2012 North Carolina

what can I take home when I come to town Thursday for a meeting?

5. JebediahScooter

As far as I know, growlers will be available for whatever they have on tap. 5 or 6pm opening each day, till 10pm I think on weeknights and 2am on weekends.

6. benjaminahudson

well poop. Looks like I wont be around that late. What'll the busy bee have? Any to-go bottles at lunch?

7. JebediahScooter

http://busybeeraleigh.com/

BB tap list is on their website...no bottles to go, but head over to Tasty Beverage not too far away for a nice selection and cool folks.

8. benjaminahudson

Always stop by Tasty when I'm in town. Not sure how much time I have, and was somewhat trying to avoid the black hole that can sometimes be a great bottle shop :)

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Aspirant (203) Jun 17, 2007 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

What time will you be around? Might be able to work something out to get you some growlers!

benjaminahudson likes this.
  10. Circleo12

Circleo12 Devotee (442) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

PB Dubbel sounds right up my alley, I don't get up to Raleigh though, I am stuck in the golden corner of Upstate S.C.!

11. benjaminahudson

Probably sometime after lunch, so 1-2pm?

12. wedge

wedge Poo-Bah (2,674) Jan 13, 2004 North Carolina

Per an N&O article, the current beers are:

Limbo Champ: A brown ale with combination American and Belgian yeast strains at 5.6% ABV
    Trophy Wife: An American pale ale with Simcoe hops at 5.17% ABV
    Best in Show: A Citra-hopped saison at 6.75% ABV
    Slingshot Coffee Porter: A porter made with cold-brewed Slingshot coffee at 7% ABV
    The King: A peanut butter and banana Belgian dubbel that includes boiled peanuts and peanut butter and a Bavarian yeast.
    Biggest Flirt: A Belgian India Pale Ale hopped with Nelson Sauvin.

I'm pretty excited about this place. The beer looks promising and they are located waaay to close to my work and gym.

13. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (601) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

a group of us from Richmond stopped by Trophy after Raleigh R&V and Les and the Busy Bee crew gave us a tour and samples. super nice guys making some great brew!

14. JebediahScooter

Yeah, Les is freaking awesome. He always answers any question I ask with tons of details and explanation, and he has given me some great tips for my homebrewing. BB guys know how to run a good beer business, so expect great things from Trophy.

15. defaultroute

defaultroute Initiate (167) Aug 14, 2005 North Carolina

I'm a porter nut and I thought the coffee porter was fantastic. I bought a growler of it to bring with me down to Charleston tomorrow. I'm also a peanut butter nut and I thought the dubbel was great as well. It's exactly how I want a peanut butter beer to smell and taste like.

16. defaultroute

defaultroute Initiate (167) Aug 14, 2005 North Carolina

Also, per the ABC rules and laws, Busy Bee Cafe cannot have Trophy beers on tap at the Bee. This is due to some NC ABC rule. Apparently since the owners are also a retailer as well as a producer, it crosses tiers and that is not allowed. Bummer I know, but hopefully someone can get that rule changed.

17. JebediahScooter

I had the porter last night and thought it was great...some of it sans coffee is already in a rum barrel, could be interesting. I agree, the dubbel is a peanut butter beer that isn't some shtick/novelty brew that is gross after a few sips. Really enjoyable. Right, they can't sell at the Bee unfortunately...sounds like other local spots will be getting kegs, though.

18. fehrminator

fehrminator Disciple (336) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Excited to see that the big day is finally here. I thought that the citra saison, Belgian ipa & coffee porter were all excellent. Totally agree that Les and Trophy are destined for big things. So...when will the new Durham location be happening? ;)

19. benjaminahudson

Woody - sent you a reply in our BM. Let me know what you want to do; I'm leaving town early tomorrow so get with me tonight if you want.

20. JebediahScooter

Anybody else make it out?

21. jdillon334

jdillon334 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I was there. Prior to last night I'd had the coffee porter, citra saison, double simcoe, brown ale, and the peanut butter banana dubbel. The peanut butter dubbel was still in the tank when I tried it so wasn't carbonated. Turned out great.

I'm sure there are great things to come from Trophy. I'll definitely wear out a few growlers this year.

22. manaox2

manaox2 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2010 North Carolina

A buddy and I swung by yesterday to avoid some of the crowds opening evening. The beer was all worth seeking out. Love the inside of the place (though a little small, can't wait for the expansion to be done in the spring). The king (peanut butter dubbel) and the slingshot porter were my two favs, brought home some cool looking growlers.

23. RC0032

RC0032 Initiate (65) Mar 10, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I can not wait to try their beers this weekend!!

JebediaScooter clear your calendar for Sunday night.

24. flipdog0

flipdog0 Aspirant (207) Feb 11, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I got the chance to check out the place last night as well. Overall I thought the brewery was in a very cool place and the actual space, while it was small it was very well done and plenty enough space to start. The beers were all very tasty. My favorite was the citra saison followed by the peanut butter dubbel. I thought the slingshot porter was good but it was a real coffee bomb and more specifically a slingshot coffee bomb (which is not really my favorite). It is exciting to see some quality "out of the box thinking" offerings from the get go. I liked the fact that everything was available in growlers.

Chris also gave us the chance to try the baltic porter which should be out very soon, I thought it was great as well. Not quite the full body of the duck rabbit baltic porter, but very drinkable at 7% and toasty. Overall I am very excited about what these guys are doing and expect some very good things in the near future out of trophy.

To the guys at Trophy, thanks for your dedication to the Raleigh craft beer scene, and more specifically for bettering the quality of beers coming out of the young beer town.

25. JebediahScooter

Oh snap, you're coming to town? Cool, I can probably make it out earlyish but have a busy week to get ready for.

26. RC0032

RC0032 Initiate (65) Mar 10, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sounds good we will be in touch ;)

27. jdillon334

jdillon334 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I second this.l

28. phishbfm

phishbfm Aspirant (287) Dec 4, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Finally got over to Trophy last night. Had a flight and a growler of the King. All great stuff. The citra saison and King were the standouts and the Porter was fantastic as well. I'm quite excited to see what these guys have in store. I saw a barrel(rum I believe) in the back already and heard about a flanders red that will be barreled(wine) as well.

The growlers will be exhausted for sure.

29. dmwcpa

dmwcpa Initiate (159) Apr 24, 2008 North Carolina

I went there last night, a great place, with wonderful beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe