Trying my best to hold off on pumpkin beer, when is your ideal date?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I'm going to try my best to wait until around October 1st before I start picking it up. I've already seen Pumpking and Warlock on the shelves, and I've heard that Dogfish Head Punkin is on the shelves in some other markets (so it'll be here by the end of the week)

2. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,853) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

Within that style, fresher is generally considered better. If you don't want to drink it now, then buy it and keep it refrigerated to reduce aging effects.

hoptheology, puboflyons and PatrickCT like this.
  3. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (73) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee

4. cmiller4642

That's why they should wait until September to release it....

5. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

For sure, I don't know too many people aching for a pumpkin beer in 85 degree weather.

6. cmiller4642

Oktobfests are tasting good tho :slight_smile:

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

10 years ago.

But seriously, I only drink a few anymore, and I'm too busy with Oktoberfests to pay attention to pumpkin beers. Might have a few starting in September? And then a local brewery has a pumpkin festival every year, so I get it all out of my system there.

8. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Crusader (720) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I saw a bottle of Blue Mountain's Spooky in Lexington VA with a use by date BEFORE Halloween :slight_smile:

Lahey and tmbgnicu like this.
  9. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,099) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Only when I'm really really buzzed will I taste a pumpkin beer.
    And only when it's Halloween. Or I'm watching the movie of the same title... that's it.
    R.I.P. P.B.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  10. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,771) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I've tried pumpkin ales in August before just because it was new and I was impatient and wanted to try it.. but they always taste better in September and October when the air gets crisper and the leaves start falling.. I just picked up a local pumpkin ale and am waiting for September 1st since it'll be a Saturday and the first week of college football, so it seems fitting..

11. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (220) Jan 16, 2007 New Jersey
    Deactivated

The minute I find some Fantôme Boo?

Harrison8 and NeroFiddled like this.
  12. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

you cannot make ME drink that stuff. not that I buy any beer anymore but select Belgians I cannot clone well like Orval.

nc41 and LuskusDelph like this.
  13. MikeyBadnews

MikeyBadnews Initiate (197) Dec 10, 2013 Massachusetts

I don’t know about you but nothing screams Pumpkin Beer more than 87 degrees and stifling humidity.

In truth the only real pumpkin beers I’ve enjoyed have been imperial stouts so I need a cold night where I can at the very least see my breath a bit.

deleted_user_971432 likes this.
  14. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Fall is the only time of year I drink them. Probably the one seasonal beer I actually prefer in season. I'll drink pretty much anything else year round

nblackstock01 likes this.
  15. cmiller4642

I'm going to try my best and hold off on Christmas beer this year until Thanksgiving Day. I usually start on them in early November.

My Autumn lineup is hopefully looking like this right now:

August- late September: Oktoberfests and Brown Ales
    Late September-Early November: Pumpkin beers, Oktoberfests, Brown Ales, and Wet Hop IPA's
    Early November- Thanksgiving: Browns and Pumpkin beers with stouts starting to come up as the weather gets colder
    Thanksgiving- New Years: Winter Warmers, Christmas Ales, Belgians, and Imperial Stouts.

16. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

2050? (Should be dead by then, if everything goes as planned).

BeRightBock, Fox82791, nc41 and 12 others like this.
  17. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,211) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Once the leaves turn...but I usually reach for a marzen instead. I do like a good pumpkin stout/porter though.

nblackstock01 likes this.
  18. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (182) Nov 10, 2015 Pennsylvania

I have my first pumpkin beer when the temps reach under 60 for the lows, or the first day of fall, whatever comes first. It is quite annoying that they ship out in early August when it's 90 degrees still, and they sit at "room temp". I usually buy them earlier and just keep them refrigerated for a month or so.

19. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (815) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

I knew before I clicked that I'd see many variations on this comment...
    ...but this one's my favorite. Never change, BeerAdvocate.

In seriousness, while they're not at all my favorite style, I'll crack one or two in October, probably Schlafly and maybe even a Southern Tier Pumking, especially the Cold Press Coffee version. I'll miss the Smuttynose one as I think it had the most pumpkin flavor with the least aggressive spicing (ironic, I know, considering I do enjoy Pumking, as stated above).

20. Daveshek28

And yes, who else besides me loves clicking on a "pumpkin" or "NE style IPA" thread and seeing the same comments over and over about how they suck? We get it, we get it. LOL

21. cmiller4642

I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys pumpkin beer.

I like every style of beer honestly lol

22. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (510) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This is a real thing. I don't often find myself wanting a pumpkin beer, but when leaves are on the ground and the air is cool and time is ideal almost all of them have been out for 3 months, often times sitting on a shelf collecting dust. It's really insane that brewers feel the need to push seasonal stuff up so much. No pumpkin beer should release before labor day, and that's a generous count off(I'd say later)

23. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I don't consume that many but I usually have a couple when fresh. Then when it gets cooler out I have some more. Honestly, if your craving one have it,
    Cheers

Steve_Studnuts likes this.
  24. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (789) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Do they really go bad that quickly? I usually pick up Pumking and/or Warlock and have them in October sometime. They're perfectly fine then.

johnnybgood1999 and Daveshek28 like this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's actually a sort of reverse variation of my stock answer to the threads which ask, "What beer do you want to be your last beer while on your deathbed?"

[​IMG]

LuskusDelph, JimKal, bmugan and 3 others like this.
  26. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,238) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I always get a big kick out of all the "pumpkin haters"....to each their own, right?

I have had a few already - left over from 2017, that tasted fine...and I look forward to some this year....I especially liked this new one from an up and coming CLE brewery...

[​IMG]

27. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

That glass rocks!

28. YouGuysAreSick

YouGuysAreSick Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2018 Maryland

More of a feel than date thing for me. If it's 65 at mid day and the leaves are starting to turn I know it's time.

NeroFiddled likes this.
  29. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

To go along with the predictable pumpkin haters, I'll say what I say every year too. It makes a mighty tasty beer bread!

30. Daveshek28

I enjoy pumpkins, and literally every style as well!

31. Daveshek28

Those actually hold up over a year IMO. I had a warlock last fall which was from the year before and it still tasted great. I have a pumpking from last year that i'll try sometime next month as well.

johnnybgood1999 and Celtics76 like this.
  32. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,112) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I have a Central Waters Headless Heron that's been in the fridge for a couple of years now. I think I also have a Pump[KY]n from last year. Those will be consumed at our next "share," at which I plan to supply ALL of the beer (and probably crash on the floor).

33. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I've seen some hit the shelves in late May in past years. This year they seem to be holding off - haven't spotted one yet.

34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I had and loved an Avery Pump[KY]n last year. I just drank another I had left - the pumpkin had fallen off and it tasted pretty much like straight bourbon. Not complaining - but drink them fresh if you like pumpkin.

On the other hand Avery Rumpkin tasted like someone filled a bottle with sugar, then poured in as much rum and pumpkin beer as would soak into the sugar. Man oh man was that cloying. I love rum and pumpkin, but was that terrible.

dcotom likes this.
  35. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,563) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I enjoy the occasional Pumpkin Ale, never understood all the newfound hate for them. The weather has to be right though, probably won't have one until late October. Schlafly is my favorite by far.

dcotom likes this.
  36. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,771) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

This is the local pumpkin ale that I was referring to in my previous post.. I'm really looking forward to it.. everything that I've had from them has been really good.. I'm interested to see how they do a pumpkin ale..

BeerVikingSailor likes this.
  37. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (60) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

You're not the only one--those of us who do enjoy them are just a small minority in these boards. Seriously though, I love them and I love my pumpkin spice coffee around this time of year as well. I just love fall and the flavors that go with it, and I don't mind having a few early to get myself primed for the season. I get why some hate the seasonal creep, but fall is such a fleeting season anyways, and all of these flavors evoke a lot of nostalgia for me. This is also the time of year that Type O Negative's October Rust gets a lot of play. I like to celebrate autumn early and keep it going as long as the pumpkin beers and marzen are available. A lot of it's all tied to memories and the sensory experience, and that certain feeling that is magical, but hard to define. There is a bittersweet longing that autumn stirs in me and it begins not with the first change of leaves but with the first seasonal beers. I guess those of you who hate the seasonal creep can blame the saps like myself.

Hoos78 and johnnybgood1999 like this.
  38. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,455) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

28 minutes for the first "never" response. Surprised it took that long.

For me, I will selfishly indulge in a couple Post Road pumpkin beers (I don't know ... nostalgia) and Buffalo Bills pumpkin Stout (genuinely love this one) but not until its cold out and I can drink them around the fire pit in a hoodie.

39. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I don't open my first pumpkin beer until Hell Freezes Over Eve

LeRose, nc41, LuskusDelph and 2 others like this.
  40. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,276) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Pumpkin beers are like nickelback where it's fashionable to hate them.

I'll grab some DFH and Rivertowne headless Wylie this year when I see it - whether that's in 2 days or 2 months I don't really care, I'll enjoy them either way.

johnnybgood1999 and FBarber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.