Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Latin America Turks & Caicos craft beer?

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by mattdegroat, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdegroat

mattdegroat Mar 14, 2008 New York

Heading to Turks & Caicos in a couple weeks. Anyone know if there's any type of craft beer scene there?

2. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

There's not one in the Caymans so I doubt you will find much in T&C. Everything needs to be imported (from vegetables to meat to beer) and thus is more expensive. If you do find it, be ready for sticker shock!

3. Hindsight

Hindsight Oct 8, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Highly unlikely - In my experience, you'll be fortunate to find beer that isn't skunked. Besides - Drink Rum!

4. mjl21

mjl21 Apr 3, 2008 California

I went there a few years ago. The local brewery is Turks Head. I would stick with liquor.

5. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

what everyone else said. Stick with the hard stuff.

6. MarcM

MarcM Aug 19, 2011 California

I went there a few years ago. I wasn't deep into the craft scene like I am now, but I don't recall seeing anything outside of the standard lager fare. One thing that stood out was the prices ----> STEEP.

7. lookrider

lookrider Apr 22, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

There is a slight possibility that you could find a homebrewer there who would be making better beer than anything that was commercially available. Go to a site like homebrewtalk.com and put out the question. Lots of helpful folks on that site. Why don't you just take a few of your own goodies in a checked bag and enjoy margeritas, mojitos and rum? Have a great time

8. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

you gotta go all inclusive.

9. pomeroy41144

pomeroy41144 Jul 11, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Nothing much except the Turks Head Amber and Lager. Maybe a Guinness at Danny Boys. I never go with the hard stuff when out in the 80-90 degree weather. I just go with the local beer no matter which island i am on.

10. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

pack your own suitcase with a stash to take there

11. tyme4beer

tyme4beer Apr 26, 2010 California

Yeah, I've been there. The only beer that I drank that's not widely available in the states is one called "Presidente", I believe it's dominican. That was in 2008 though, nowadays you never know. They might have something going. And of course, stick with liquor.

12. mattdegroat

mattdegroat Mar 14, 2008 New York

Thanks for all the responses...had a feeling that's what I'd hear...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe