Turning beer passion into supplemental income and/or career change

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKBassist, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BKBassist

BKBassist Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 New York

Unsure if this has been discussed here, I searched and couldn't find anything.
    I'm 30, single, and in a job (musical instrument sales) where I can explore my passion, but am having a tough time footing the bills. I'm commissioned, so my pay swings fairly wildly from month to month. I've been looking into the idea of turning my passion for beer into either a bit of extra dough or perhaps a full sail career change.

I took a bartending course, but have no interest in cocktails, and am getting my Certified Beer Server.

That being said, I have no experience in the food\bar industry outside of a short stint as a line cook in college.

Do you think knowledge, these certifications, a solid work ethic and knowledge\passion for the product would be enough to get me in the door for at least a trial run at a craft spot? Are there other opportunities in the industry that I am overlooking where experience might play less of a part? Appreciate any thoughts.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  2. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2012 Washington

I think they could certainly get you in the door. Probably not as a bartender but more in an entry position like a barback/busser/host. From there you can easily move up quickly depending on how well you do.

3. Rback

Rback Crusader (477) Feb 26, 2012 New York

There is a forum on this site titled "Help Wanted". Why not ask there.

bradcochran1234 likes this.
  4. bryanole27

bryanole27 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

I think you could get hired based on the beard and hat ALONE!

Seriously though...go for it!

5. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 Georgia

Apply as a dept manager at a bigger liquor store.

6. BKBassist

Seems that the Help Wanted guidelines state its for Wanted posts only, this seemed like my best option. And Bryan, I do get told I have the look of a beer geek a lot!

bryanole27 likes this.
  7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

You could hire yourself out as a mule at brewery only releases

8. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 California

I wish you nothing but luck dude. I hope you find a rad opportunity.
    I have wanted to search for an awesome opportunity within the craft world, it is tough.

I have tons of experience with overseeing projects and departments within the internals of a large business... but nothing close to a brewery so therefore they don't need me haha. Business analytics and performance tracking isn't looked upon as awesomely as I hoped haha.

9. Onizilla

Onizilla Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2009 New York

You're in BK, Look for any kind of job in any kind of craft joint. There are two tons of stores in that city that sell craft beer and quite a few warehouses. Just apply to anything even if you don't feel "qualified" as long as you're a fast learner you should be fine. As long as there is no such thing as too low on the totem pole to you to start with, You'll be fine. If you're really desperate, See if you can volunteer your time at some of the Breweries in the city/burrough as a tank cleaner. It's a foot in the door.

10. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

What exactly are you interested in doing with craft beer? Serving in a beer joint should be completely doable and also completely nonlucrative, unless you had something more specific in mind?

11. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

If you're able to test the waters, I say do it man. It doesn't hurt to try as long as you're not risking much. Doing what you like is so much harder than doing what's opportune (I majored in purchasing and ended up in marketing, no clue how that happened), but never has it been impossible. I read a lot of books on/by successful business people and the overwhelming sentiment to your query seems to be this: even if you shed the blood and sweat every successful person sheds, there's still, unfortunately, an element of luck involved. And in regards to following a passion, don't be surprised if taking something you enjoy and turning it into work makes you not enjoy it anymore. Although, try and tell that to the Garrett Olivers and the Charlie Papazians. :wink:

Edit - Reading your last post: if you're just wanting to make a few extra bucks, then hells yeah, no reason you can't get onboard somewhere.

Bluecane likes this.
  12. 4kbrianb

haha aint it crazy how that always works out... somehow the major is rarely the end profession.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  13. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Don't forget to highlight your experience in retail sales and customer service from your musical instrument sales experience. Good luck.

14. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

Breweries post jobs online all the time. Follow local breweries on twitter, facebook, what have you. That was how I found out about job openings at Flying Dog. I had one phone interview, and they loved me, so I drove down from CT to MD for an in person interview. It was the best interview I've ever had, because I was applying for a job in a field that I love and something I'm passionate about.

Get yourself out there. Go to open houses, introduce yourself, get your name and face known.

mwrecording, absyrd1, JohnB87 and 3 others like this.
  15. 4kbrianb

P.s. if you have access to a local brewery... someone else already mentioned it, but ask to get in there as a damn tank washer or floor sweeper. I have a friend who did something similar and is having fun, and moving up within the industry.

If they have a tasting room, or store of some sort you can make cash by serving and selling beer, and get in good with the guys who do the dirty work behind the scenes while scrubbing the tanks. You will be one busy dude, but I promise the access to their brains, and the real world experience and learning sessions will pay off in some way.

16. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

It is easier, sometimes a better option, to find passion for what you do rather than trying to do what you're passionate about. Many people who get jobs with in the industry are in an industry they love but may not be doing work that they love. It is possible to ruin a hobby, I am not trying to discourage anyone just food for thought.

What you know is important but who you know will get you the job more often than not. There are plenty of people trying to break into the industry and an impressive but faceless resume will often be overlooked. Get to know people and let people get to know you. Don't just try to make yourself look qualified for the position, prove why your are more passionate, driven and are a better fit for what you apply for. Certifications such as the cicerone program help but that alone won't get guarantee a job. The biggest thing you can do, it cannot be repeated enough, get to know people and let them get to know you.

17. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

I used to work at guitar center too (I know its not the only music retail store, just assuming and kinda joking around) I now assist manage a liquor store and am one of the dime a dozen guys the man mentioned above (28, need moere money). I too am trying to find my way into the craft service industry in anyway possible. I wish you lots of luck, maybe we could combine forces and think of something no one has thought of hahaha

18. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Some harsh words posted. I am going a different way, my own experience.

I know someone who was a total beer geek, working a local beverage store as the store's beer geek. Paid his dues at the store, had to pitch in with bottle returns and shelf stocking, but he knew beer, reeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllly knew beer. Finally recognized by store as helping drive a trade of craft beer lovers, helped their ordering, and helped advise customers. Courted and hired By Manhattan Distributors, makes big money now in a dream beer geek job.

I lost work. Went to the brewers who'd said they'd hire me when I was working elsewhere now wouldn't even discuss employment. Truth is if I would have offered to work free for a while I probably could have hooked in, but the truth is there are plenty who do volunteer at the good breweries. Tough to break in that way, I was ready to clean tanks and haul grain. Still didn't even get a chance to apply.

Know other success and failure stories, tough business most folks don't realize.

19. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Texas

I needed to read this thread today. I'm very unhappy with my current job situation and would love to make a career change into a field that I love. This thread has been much needed jolt of motivation.

20. BKBassist

Safe assumption. It's a really fun job, especially being in the Manhattan store, but the money is severely lacking, even for managers. So I know well how passion + job are a bumpy road. But I'm merely trying to play to my strengths.

ESeab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.