Twin Cities Adventure...with beer...and a baby

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by sgulner, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgulner

sgulner Zealot (604) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hey Midwest BA! Grew up in MN, but have been living in Boston now for the past 15 years. I am coming back to the TC area for a weekend visit, and to experience the fair. I have not been to MN to drink in 2 years, and outside Surly, Lift Bridge, and Summit, I have not had much else MN has to offer for craft. SO, here's my questions...We will be staying in Mendota area and wondering if any good bars in that area? Also, heading to the fair during the day (with the 15mo old) and at night (with just the wife), I read the article by Growler on beers to be had at the Fair, but wondering what you locals would recommend as a beer 'not to be passed up'. Will be coming over a weekend, and able to go out at night, any suggestions on a good bar that also one 'should not pass up'? Thanks guys, am excited to go to the fair again as I have never been as a 21+ year old!

2. holzwama

holzwama Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Minnesota

Hopefully, you'll be bringing some of your local IPAs with!
    The fair should be plenty of fun for you and a good place to catch many of the local beers that you should try. I'm not from up in that area, so I can't say a place to stop. Obviously, I'd go get Todd on tap at the taproom. Otherwise, keep an eye on the On Tap forum. That give a pretty good idea of any tap takeovers or any special taps.
    Otherwise, grab a bottle of Shell's Orbital drift if you like that style. Otherwise, Double Daytripper is out by Indeed right now and find some fresh Toppling Goliath around as well; Pompeii is 8/4 bottling, I think?

3. brewnic

brewnic Zealot (624) Oct 7, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

You can park around the u of m (gold lot) and hit surly and the fair in one trip.

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  4. Atom13

Atom13 Crusader (426) Jun 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

If you're around Mendota there are some good places heading west on 62 right over Mendota bridge. You'll be close to Town Hall Lanes, Northbound Brewpub, and Harriet Brewing. A little further down 62 right off Lyndale is Wild Mild Ales. Children are welcome at all. There are a few places right in Mendota but nothing too special beer wise. Buster's on 28th is close to Northbound and usually has a wide selection.

5. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Pundit (873) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Summit is obviously the closest to Mendota, but Bad Weather is not far up 35E. For the state fair, I would ignore all of the gimmicky beers. They are fun for locals, but are nearly all mediocre. Go right to the Land of 10,000 Beers exhibit and get a flight or two.

6. grantcty

grantcty Pundit (952) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

In Eagan, there's a New Bohemia (Eagan Towne Center, easy to get to from 35E) that usually has a solid tap list, along with the Lone Oak Grill (Lone Oak and 35E) which also usually has a pretty good tap list.

7. TheBasedElliot

TheBasedElliot Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2016 Minnesota

It's not exactly next to Mendota, but I think you owe it to yourself to see what's happened with the NE Minneapolis brewery scene on whatever day you're not at the fair.

8. sgulner

Trader

Hey BA, just wanted to drop a quick line to thank everyone for a great time and great advice. Just a quick summary: Arrived Saturday and after Family time (and getting a 4 pack of Todd the Axe Man for family time) we made it to Surlys new taproom, HOLY S%#!, that place is gorgeous! Snagged a couple beers and sat outside next to one of the fire pits. For a Saturday night, they were super efficient and amazingly nice. Didn't try food, but it looked good!
    Sunday evening we went to the fair, just me and my wife. We started at the Agricultural building and had a couple flights, nothing spectacular, but was able to try some new beer from breweries I hadn't heard of. Only qualm with that flight set up was they gave you no card to go with the flight, so took a pic of the board as to know what I was drinking. A little more info would have been nice. Also tried the Mini Donut Beer and Hopmosa, both were spot in as to the description.
    Monday was at the fair with the baby and family, tried the Chocolate Chip beer and it was pretty good. Have to say, the best thing I drank was Saga by Summit followed by Todd. Sunday night went to Happy Gnome and tried Double Day Tripper, slightly bitter for me, but good none the less.
    Anyways, between the 'On Tap' and 'Bottle Hunt' page, you guys keep each other well informed and it was really helpful!
    Have a great week MN BA's!

psychotia, morimech and maximum12 like this.
  9. holzwama

holzwama Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Minnesota

Saga for the win!!!
    Glad you had a good time. I had a Todd at Surly Sunday and it just makes me smile. So fresh and so good...

psychotia likes this.
  10. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Savant (1,014) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I don't think you realize how many people you made smile with this statement, myself included.

malichi and psychotia like this.
  11. sgulner

Trader

It definitely had that hint of New England style with the very tropical over ripe fruit flavors and softer malt profile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.