Twin Cities Beer Tasting

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by supercolter, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supercolter

supercolter Crusader (781) Apr 19, 2006 Wisconsin
    Trader

Hey all,

I received a bit of feedback that my last post was rather ambiguous/somewhat dickish. Oops, let's try this again. Please let the other thread sink into oblivion.

What: Tasting at my place with good people
    Who: 10 BAs including my normal group of 3-4.
    When: A Friday or Saturday in August (I'm not available the first weekend, but any other should work at this point.)
    Where: My townhouse in Woodbury, MN

It would be cool if we could find some similar beers for side-by-sides, but all styles are welcome. There is a link to the beers in my cellar on my profile for some reference of things that I could potentially bring out. There are a couple of things set aside for a trade, which I'll highlight tonight. Other than that, I'm more than happy to share.

If you are interested, please shoot me a convo with the following:
    Dates that work for you-
    Beers you'd like to contribute-

Thanks all,

Jeff

2. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2008 Minnesota

I was going to say you'll fit in well here, but you've probably gathered that in your six years on the site. Can't make it, but I'm sure you'll have a slew of takers.

3. Mista

Mista Initiate (140) Nov 10, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I'd be down assuming i can find someone to car pool with from Mpls. Woodbury is far....:slight_frown:

supercolter likes this.
  4. supercolter

Trader

Haha, yeah I've seen a few of them in the six years I've been on here... yikes.

5. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (355) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

Why are all the good beer and events on the East Side? Some days I feel I live in a MN Beer Wasteland. :slight_smile: AKA Maple Grove.

6. supercolter

Trader

A couple more nibbles but still spots available... bumpity bump.

7. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

if you nail down a date, I am in St Paul and could be coerced to come and share beer :wink:

8. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

August is a bad month for me, possibly in the future.

9. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Aspirant (253) Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

The second part of August is bad, you are good for the first half

10. doucmehu

doucmehu Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Oregon

I am in, I am somehow open every Friday and Saturday in August. Possible beers, depending on what else will be there:
    Bitch's Brew
    CBS
    Churchill's Finest Hour
    Conflux 1
    CW Exodus
    Hangar 24 Hammerhead
    Marron Acidife
    MOAS
    Supplication
    Expedition Stout vertical 07-12

supercolter and minnesotaryan like this.
  11. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota

Could be worse, you could be in Rochester. I think there are 3-4 BAs in the whole town...

12. supercolter

Trader

One more bump for tonight's crowd and then I'll get back to everyone with a date. Seems like a good group of peeps... I'm also waiting on a couple of guys in my tasting group to confirm all dates that are available so that the highest percentage of people can make it. Thanks for you patience all! Looking forward to a fun tasting...

13. doucmehu

doucmehu Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Oregon

I will bring a foodstuff to share. I hear Charcuterie and other cured meats are the "in" thing for this type of gathering?

14. supercolter

Trader

Alright peeps,

It looks like the weekend of the 17th/18th works the best for everyone... I'll send out an email to those that were interested/tenatively interested tomorrow night and pass along some more information. Please let me know if either or both these nights don't work for you, so we can firm up the details soon. If you are +1, let me know so I can plan the amount of beer/appetizers appropriately.

We could probably squeeze a couple more people in if there is still interest.

Peace, Jeff

15. SourNotes

SourNotes Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2010 Minnesota

due to the choice of weekend, i might be in.

16. supercolter

Trader

Sounds good. I'll send you some additional info. I know "Mista" was hoping to carpool from S. Mpls, so hit him up if interested.

17. jawzman

jawzman Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Minnesota

Is there that many of us around? I thought it was just you and me...

18. supercolter

Trader

Hey guys,

Thanks to all for contributing to a great tasting last night... the aftermath pictures are below.
    http://imgur.com/Jse7n,vpE5y#0
    http://imgur.com/Jse7n,vpE5y#1
    List:
    Upright Blend Love, Cantillon Fou' Foune, Upland Peach Lambic, Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break, Jackie-O's Evelyn, Logsdon Seizoen Bretta, Sournotes "Abner" clone :wink:, Ballast Point Dorado Double IPA, Hill Farmstead Jimmy, Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break, Eclipse Brandy Barrel 2011, Eclipse Elijah Craig 18 Year 2011, Eclipse Four Roses 2010, Olde Hickory Event Horizon, Churchill's Finest Hour 2012, Hunaphu's Imperial Stout, Hel & Verdomenis Wild Turkey...
    Cheers,

Jeff

19. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Disciple (369) Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Wow! I should have skipped my opening night and come:wink: Looks like quite the lineup! Glad it worked out.

supercolter likes this.
  20. motorhed

motorhed Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2008 Minnesota

Nonsense - i'm up in the MG area if you are bored and want to grab some brews. Up for meeting some locals anytime. :slight_smile:

21. biniek13

biniek13 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2008 Minnesota

Tell me about it, I live in Albertville...

22. motorhed

I'll agree on Albertville....at least MG has 3 Squares and Princeton's. =)

cmannes likes this.
  23. biniek13

Yeah, at least 3 Squares isn't that far for me... :slight_smile:

motorhed likes this.
  24. motorhed

Word, it's a surprisingly good spot for being "so out in the country"....psshhhh

biniek13 likes this.
  25. biniek13

Haha!! Yeah, according to some, we are the edge of the sticks!! :slight_smile:

26. motorhed

Only downside i can find is with the concept of driving all over creation to find limited releases....that part blows. Everything else about the burbs i dig.

27. ObiWanKushnobi

ObiWanKushnobi Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2011 Minnesota

No, you guys are out in the sticks!:wink: I hear nothing but good things about Princeton's, I heard they still have Olde Blue Hair can any of you confirm this.

28. biniek13

I was just in there and didn't see it, but then again I wasn't looking for it either... :slight_smile:

29. motorhed

I'll be stopping by there later today, i'll let you know.

30. ObiWanKushnobi

If your ever trying to hunt some limited release stuff down I know it might be a drive for you but MGM on 98th and Lyndale 2 blocks east of 35W here in Bloomington is still under the radar and has received some hard to find stuff that is gone at most places in a few hours and it will be there for a week(KBS 4-5 days FMB 7-10 days) and the owner Mike is constantly expanding the beer selection and has taken multiple requests for beers from me and has fulfilled the majority of them!! I know how it feels to call a liquor store and have them tell you they have"X" beer and by the time you drive across the ciities to get it and when you walk in and request it they reply " We just sold the last one". Hope this helps.

31. ObiWanKushnobi

Thanks and if you guys ever need some help locating some particular brews I can be your eyes in the southern burbs'. Just send me a message.

biniek13 likes this.
  32. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (355) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

Byerly's in Maple Grove also has a surprisingly good beer selection. Plus it's walking distance from 3Sq.

33. motorhed

Yup yup, those are indeed the best places, the places that move enough to get the hard to find stuff but dont have a ton of traffic. Stopped by Princeton's tonight and was informed by Bill that they sold their case of BB24 within a few hours....Bummer. On a good note, i was able to find a couple completely unexpected items...

PS - i used to live in Bloomington and know a couple of really good spots down there, it's just about trying to get to them now. =) Cheers off of 169 and Anderson Lakes Pkwy used to be my go-to place, they have a surprisingly good selection. I remember buying 8 bottles of Abyss from them a couple of years ago...i think they got 3 cases of it in....check them out if you get to the west side of Bloomington.

34. motorhed

Thanks man, ditto from the Norte! ;-)

ObiWanKushnobi likes this.
  35. motorhed

So, talked to bill tonight, asked him about it. They didn't have any bottles out and asked to him about it, they dont have any left. Also learned they are cutting back on Mikkeller quite a bit as they just cant move the euro stuff.

36. motorhed

Nice to run into you at Princeton's Chris. Keep me in mind if you get together with anyone for tastings, etc. Last post from me on this thread tonight...hopefully. Sorry about all the posts....must be my internet ADD.

37. ObiWanKushnobi

Cheers is definitely a good spot and speaking of the west side the Cub foods of all places is actually a good spot as for the east side Cub goes it sucks. There is two Cellars locations near you that are really good spots I drive out to once in awhile the one on County Road 24 in Plymouth and the other is in Excelsior on Hwy 7. And if your ever in Saint Paul Petschen's Southview Liquor on Robert st. has a good selection they had some 2009 Bourbon Barrel Old Stock Ale a few months ago when I was last there I damn near feel over when I saw it.

38. ObiWanKushnobi

Thanks for asking I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.