Twin Cities Good Beer March Madness

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by wisconsinbeer1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Have Friday off and meeting a friend to watch some basketball. Looking for suggestions for a place in St Paul or East of there to watch the games and have some good beer. Thanks.

2. Philly82785

Philly82785 Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

The Bulldog in Lowertown

3. Chaz

Chaz Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'd suggest Ward6, but they don't got no T.V. :cool:

4. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

groveland tap, pizza luce st paul and muddy pig are all great places for good food and beer.

5. TheDudeRules

TheDudeRules Nov 18, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Burger Moe's is an ok spot. I'll second Groveland Tap.

6. LIQUORBARREL

LIQUORBARREL Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

Ten bucks says he picks Barkers

7. wisconsinbeer1

Beer Trader

Ten bucks says I drink a buttload of Darkness and others soon. Also the Nova needs to put in a couple tvs

8. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

Hot tattooed goth babes at Luce too, usually.

9. AndyP612

AndyP612 Mar 10, 2013 Illinois

The Muddy Pig or The Happy Gnome or both. Both are in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood of St. Paul and both have the some of the best tap lists in the cities.

edit: I would stay away from downtown St. Paul as the Final Five(or Frozen Five) college hockey tournament going on right now and it's a mess there.

10. wisconsinbeer1

Beer Trader

Do the Happy Gnome and Muddy Pig have tvs? Its been a while since Ive been to either but I dont remember either having tvs.

11. ZAP

ZAP Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

gnome does...not great for watching games though....smaller type tv's in the corners if I remember right....someone correct me if I am wrong about this...

12. GeezLynn

GeezLynn May 10, 2009 Minnesota

You're right and the Muddy Pig also has a couple tvs around the bar area (none in the far room). Not really places you go to catch the game. More like places you go for the tap list and if the cards fall right, you get a seat where you can see the game (though I will say that both places have been cool about changing to requested game).

Billy's has a ton of tv s, some of them very large, along with plenty of dipshits. Groveland is good as long as you're not looking for 400 inch HD. Sweeney's can also be a good option.

13. doucmehu

doucmehu Mar 1, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Sports and craft beer don't seem to cross paths too much.... I say Barker's, but that's cuz I could walk home after. In St. Paul I would definitely go to Groveland Tap. Lakes Tavern in Woodbury has some TVs and a few craft taps as well.

14. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

groveland has plenty of more than adequate sized tv's.

15. GeezLynn

GeezLynn May 10, 2009 Minnesota

16. Ish1

Ish1 Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Alary's has a ton of TV's. Maybe not be the greatest beer selection, but the scenery is also good.
    http://alarys.com/

17. Chaz

Chaz Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

"We have 30 fifty inch Plasma TVs!" :eek:
    55 beers + eye candy... what more could a red-blooded American male really want?

incutrav and Ish1 like this.
  18. motorhed

motorhed Oct 27, 2008 Minnesota

I was at Alarys twice this weekend for the WCHA final five and I have to say I was shocked. Right now they have Darkness, Abrassive, and Damien on the lines.

19. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

New Bohemia: good tap list, some big ass TVs, and a bottle share that starts at game time.

20. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I wonder how Dorkness tastes through Alerys dirty fucking draught lines?

Ish1 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe