Twin Elephant Brewing to open

Discussion in 'New England' started by dennis3951, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2016 New York

and I'm not diminishing that your experience was frustrating and that ideally the website was updated, but try to at least have perspective. That's a pretty harsh characterization of TEB as one that takes its customers for granted.

2. SMason

SMason Zealot (653) Feb 6, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

I am not sure I quite understand what the size of the brewery has to do with updating status on social media? Small breweries can use it the same way large ones do. Conclave does a great job of updating when a beer is no longer available for growler fills or sold out. Twin Elephant is making great beer. Thank you for the perspective.

IPAPolice likes this.
  3. Mineo

Mineo Savant (1,079) Jul 7, 2010 New York

are they still only tapping 1-2 hoppy beers at a time? you'd figure that, with those always selling out, they'd make them more often.

I understand that may offend the "I don't like IPAs" crowd who visits, but Twin Elephant really do solid with their hoppy beers (way better than any of their other styles imo, though Diamonds is awesome for the style as well), but I've had tons of people tell me that they sold out of em upon visiting, after I recommend Twin Elephant to them and praised their hoppy stuff specifically. and I'm not really talking about "hoppy saisons", which to me theirs have always emphasized yeast over hops and never quite hit the mark.

so at this point I just let anyone know who visits, they can make great stuff but don't be surprised if you visit and they only have two beers on tap, a basic porter and wheat or something. and when it IS a full list, it can be a madhouse. here's hoping expanding will result in IPAs beyond Friday for growler fills.

and certainly I can understand people being bummed by no growler fills, as it's certainly more expensive to drink on-site, while more profitable for the brewery and leaving consumers empty-handed going home. add the rarely updated site and the alleged snickering, and it's easy to see the gripes.

in any case where consumers complain that a practice charges them more while reducing consumer flexibility and kicking more profits to the business, it's a valid gripe. certainly it benefits Twin Elephant's bottom line if their stuff is selling out and it's doing so via pints/samplers as opposed to growlers.

#323 Mineo, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    SMason likes this.
  4. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Zealot (684) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

its been 2-3 IPA's on tap lately (over the last 3 weeks at least)... this weekend was Jedi Mind Tricks, Lexis and Jersey's best dancers... last week had Here There Be Monsters, Jedi Mind Tricks and True Believers, before that was Dance with the Mantis, Lil' Shimmy Ye' I think... so it has been a good run. Personally, I like the variety of beer styles and the constant changing lineup...

keep in mind they've only released one batch of IPA's of the 5bbl system so far, and that was a split batch - half became Lexis and half became Jerseys best dancers. (diff yeast and hopping regimen), so we haven't really seen the benefits of the new system quite yet, but I 'm sure we will in the coming weeks/months.

dennis3951 likes this.
  5. njcraftfan

TEB isn't cutting off growlers just so that they can make a higher margin at by the pint pricing, they are doing it so that they have enough beer to last all weekend, and even then they are only open two days a week, having to had cut back from 3. Perfect example: after cutting off growlers of Lexis (while I was in line for one, thus missing it), within the next hour or two, they actually stopped selling pints of Lexis. they had more, but they wanted to make sure they had some on Saturday as well so more people got to try it, not so they could make more money.

dennis3951 and IPAPolice like this.
  6. IPAPolice

You're spot on with your hoppy beers thoughts. There is no doubt hoppy beers are driving business these days. However, they want to be a more well rounded brewery than just a hop factory. I admire that. Though I do love my hop factories. Haha

mikeburd1128 and hopsputin like this.
  7. IPAPolice

I was a victim of that on Friday! But I get it. Lexis was pretty good, eh?

8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I was there at 4 I got a 64 of lexis and my wife got a 32 of jersey's best dancer both were excellent but quite different from each other. For the 1st 1/2 hour 90% of the people there got growlers so I'm not surprised that sales were cut off that evening.

IPAPolice likes this.
  9. hopsputin

hopsputin Grand Pooh-Bah (4,017) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Agreed. They make some killer hoppy beers, but part of why I love going there is the quality variety I can walk into.

IPAPolice and VABA like this.
  10. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,617) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

11. njcraftfan

interesting... new stout variant tomorrow, with a mention they filled a bourbon barrel with some of it to be released in a few months..

new pale ale, and Lil Shimmy Ye' back this weekend...

hopsputin likes this.
  12. SuperSourFan

SuperSourFan Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2015 New Jersey

Anybody know if they are still doing growler fills of LSY today?

13. dennis3951

Call they up or ask on their Facebook page. They sold a load of growlers between 4&5 yesterday so they might have cut them off.

14. M-Fox24

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

FB:

15. hopsputin

Pooh-Bah Society

the Deserted Village with coffee is quite nice. I'll Do One has an interesting grainy flavor. They just tapped Jerseys Best Dancer, a Kolsch IPA. Will report back on that one.

VABA likes this.
  16. hopsputin

Pooh-Bah Society

Ok I'm reporting back. Jersey's Best Dancer is really really good. Very juicy, loads of sweet citrus.

The coffee infused Deserted Village and Jersey's Best are the winners for me this week.

Cheers!

VABA, st9647v3 and dennis3951 like this.
  17. M-Fox24

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Jersey's Best Dancer stole the show due to the Grass/Earthy/Ripe Dankness sensation. Soft feel with loads of melon, cantaloupe, stone fruit, some honey...tropical sensasion

Deserted was good, but the sweetness took control with warmth/tail end

st9647v3 likes this.
  18. dennis3951

Looks like twin Elephant is opening this afternoon
    StayTrue

Yes yes ya'll hope everyone is amped for the holiday weekend. Murica! We want to kick it into gear early for everyone so we have decided to do a first and open up tomorrow Thursday 6/29 4pm to 10pm so everyone can get some growlers and some pints before their weekend plans. We have three new beers to kick start your red white and blue starting with "Proximity Mine at the Spawn" a 5.5% American Pale Ale DDH with Southern Cross & El Dorado hops that has a pleasant bitterness, earthiness and spice with a tropical fruit backbone. Next we gots "Hammock Complex" a 5.4% American Pale Wheat DDH with Vic Secret, Motueka, and Waimea hops a great seasonal offering with a lemon highlight and tangelo undertones. Lastly we have "B.T. Dubs" a 5.0% American Pale Wheat DDH first with Mosaic & Simcoe Lupulin powder then backed up with Mosaic & Simcoe pellets to create a clean bitterness balance with a great classic hop candy finish.

The growler fill allocations for this weekend will be starting off on Thursday at 4pm:

Hammock Complex - 32 or 64 ounce fills available
    B.T. Dubs - 32 or 64 ounce fills available
    Fuzzy Duckling - 32 or 64 ounce fills available
    Sucked Into The Void - 32 ounce ONLY fills available
    The Cobbler - 32 or 64 ounce fills available
    Proximity Mine at the Spawn - 32 or 64 ounce fills available - (STARTING FRIDAY)

As usual fills are still 64oz max volume per person.

Please take notice of where you are parking if you come by on Friday. Please do not block any walk ways, or park in any spots designated

19. MattyBlayze

MattyBlayze Crusader (416) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey

Interesting. Maybe I'll stop by at 4. For the first few months they were opened, I was there almost every Friday at 4 for a flight or a pour of their latest offerings. Then one Friday a couple of months ago, I pulled into the parking lot at 3:55, and there was already a line about 12 people deep waiting to get in. It seemed ridiculous to wait in line for a pour so I haven't been back since. Maybe it'll be calmer today.

dennis3951 likes this.
  20. njcraftfan

12 people with doors not open yet would not yield a long wait for a pour....Fridays between 4-6 while can be busy are usually not uncomfortably so and never had to wait long for a beer... that being said, early afternoon Saturdays are the best for lack of crowds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.