Twin Elephant Brewing to open

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by dennis3951, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,094) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Crush It And Kill It is a nice, tart citrusy IPA and you can't beat the hop bill of Mosaic, Citra, and Galaxy, but it's overshadowed by the White Gold Tarantula I had before it and the Lil' Shimmy after it. TE is doing first rate work!

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (838) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

You must have been there when is was. Left about 1/2 an hour ago. Took a growler of Crush it and Kill it home, nice brew.

MacMalt, hopsputin and Mrstiffington like this.
  3. MacMalt

Premium Trader

I'll bet we're there at the same time a lot. I often stop in after work on Fridays. This is the first time I've been to TE on three consecutive days! It's a lot easier for me to stop in after work since the Morris Avenue bridge in Summit is finally finished. I'll have to wear either my orange Bucknell hat or my light blue UNC hat.

dennis3951 and hopsputin like this.
  4. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,356) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Bout friggin time lol

jmerizio and MacMalt like this.
  5. MacMalt

Premium Trader

Yeah, really. The George Washington Bridge was built in less than 3 years.

hopsputin and dennis3951 like this.
  6. Jflopsu

Jflopsu Initiate (44) Jan 16, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

This week's drops announced on Facebook. I am also anticipating their Here There Be Monsters cans should be dropping any week now. They posted the can art again on their Instagram stories, which they did for Gathering Clouds too just a week or two before they did the can drop.

++++

Finesse impress which we prove
    And y'all will realize that we are the move
    So listen close so you all don't miss
    As we go a little something like this
    Hit it

FRIDAY (GROWLERS) _

La Di Da Di: 6.4% ABV Milk Porter with toasted coconut, madagascar vanilla beans, and bourbon barrel aged coffee beans.__

Lil' Shimmy Ye': 5.8% ABV American Pale Ale DDH with Citra, Belma and Mosaic hops. Notes of apricot pulp and honeydew melon nectar on top of an eclectic heirloom grist that gives a wrinkle of crackery biscuit._

SATURDAY (GROWLERS) _

Gathering Clouds: 6.4% ABV American IPA DDH with Galaxy, Vic Secret, Southern Cross, Motueka, and Rakau. Little spelt helps lift the sweet malt tones into a heady mix teeming with notes of lemon peel, pine needles, caramelized pineapple, clean spice bitterness. Beautiful cluster of sweet, grass, resin and fruit. __

#[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. hopsputin

La Di is super coconut-y. Definitely on the sweeter side when combined with that lactose sweetness.

dennis3951 likes this.
  8. hopsputin

Catch It and Kill It is pretty good also. Nice hop combination, so it’s not a completely standard NEIPA

dennis3951 likes this.
  9. dennis3951

Twin Elephant has been on a roll for the last 5/6 weeks. According to Scott there is a lot of new stuff in the tanks.

Jflopsu, hopsputin and Mrstiffington like this.
  10. hopsputin

Excellent!

11. hopsputin

On Tap
    Nosh: Hallertau Blanc - American IPA - 6.9% ABV
    Biggenz - American IPA - 8.0% ABV
    Utah! Gimme 2! - Belgian IPA - 7.9% ABV
    Trolls Footpath - Norwegian Style Farmhouse Ale with Pineapple & Blood Orange Puree - 4.7% ABV
    White Gold Tarantula - Double IPA - 8.4% ABV
    Lil' Shimmy Ye - American Pale Ale - 5.8% ABV
    Gathering Clouds - American IPA - 6.4% ABV
    La Di Da Di - Milk Porter w/ toasted coconut, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, & Homestead Roaster's Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee - 6.4% ABV

Tapping Friday
    Can't Or Won't? - White IPA - 6.2% ABV
    Collecting Moonbeams - American Stout w/ Tart Cherry Puree - 5.8% ABV

Tapping Saturday
    De Day Da - American Cream Ale - 4.9% ABV

The growler fills for this weekend will be:
    Utah! Gimme 2! - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Trolls Footpath - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    White Gold Tarantula - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Lil' Shimmy Ye - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Nosh: Hallertau Blanc - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Gathering Clouds - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    La Di Da Di - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Can't Or Won't? (Friday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Collecting Moonbeams (Friday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    De Da Day (Saturday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Total Volume limits are 64oz max per person per type of beer.

In the Secondary (coming up)
    Wepeel - American IPA
    TBD - Imperial Stout
    Here There Be Monsters - American IPA

dennis3951 likes this.
  12. dennis3951

Bummer I was hoping the Stout was a Plain Jane

LuskusDelph and hopsputin like this.
  13. hopsputin

I know you were! I’m excited for the cherry, but I’m really hoping they put out something like the ESB again, or a Pilsner or something

14. MacMalt

Premium Trader

This batch of La Di Da Di is just outstanding! One of the best milk/coffee porters I've ever had. It drinks like a candy bar.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  15. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (79) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

stopped in for a few yesterday...

Can't or Won't was an interesting hybrid... get the ipa and hoppiness up front, alongf with the aromatics and flavors of a wit. The wit makes it finish crisp and refreshing.

I liked Collecting Moonbeams a lot, more than I expected to... really nice roasty, chocolatey malt up front with some sweetness from the malt, than the tart cherry flavor hits on the finish. Nicely blananced.

Also had a tast of the La Di Da Di. Good, really obvius but natural coconut on the finish. Carb was a bit low - but they said the oils from the coconut causes that

hopsputin likes this.
  16. hopsputin

Agree on pretty much every part! The mouthfeel on Moonbeams really helped the tartness come through on the finish.

I really enjoyed Can't or Won't. Like you said, they hybrid added nice aromatics and a nice dry finish

17. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (96) Jul 9, 2017 New York

Stopped in with my Dad yesterday, we were both extremely impressed with La Di Da Di and ended up getting 32oz growlers each. It kinda rides right up to the line of being too sweet but its a nice decadent dessert stout. I also really liked the Nosh, I've been drinking a lot of Nelson beers from OH recently and this had that similar grape-y/white wine-y character.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  18. hopsputin

Happy to see a Kolsch upcoming

Summer is coming to a head and to get our minds off that, we have a couple fresh batches of some hop forward treats. Our first beer, already on tap, is the return of "Hardog" a 6.9% ABV American IPA in memory of a sweet pup. This beer is DDH with El Dorado, CTZ and Simcoe hops giving it an earthy slight bitterness with a hint of herbal nose, in a soft, medium body. The second beer dropping today, Friday, is a freshy "Here There Be Monsters" a 6.8% ABV DDH with Vic Secret, Rakau, and Wakatu. Ye’ intruders beware, this hoppy, swaggy, swill is made for yer’ grogs! Full of flaked oats, blend of pale and pilsner oats with notes of rich and sweet fragrant pineapple, grassy pine meadows, peaches & muskmelon. No growler fills of "Here There Be Monsters" this weekend for good reason (wink wink keep an eye on Istagram). No food truck tonight unfortunately. Hoping to get back on a more consistent schedule with them after Labor Day.

On Tap
    Nosh: Hallertau Blanc - American IPA - 6.9% ABV
    Gathering Clouds - American IPA - 6.4% ABV
    La Di Da Di - Milk Porter w/ toasted coconut, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, & Homestead Roaster's Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee - 6.4% ABV
    Hardog - American IPA - 6.9% ABV
    Here There Be Monsters - American IPA - 6.4% ABV

La Di Da Di - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Can't Or Won't? - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Collecting Moonbeams - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    De Day Da - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Hardog - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Wepeel - American IPA
    Split the Megahertz - American IPA
    TBD - Kolsch
    TBD - Imperial Stout

dennis3951 likes this.
  19. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,944) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

Me too. Fingers crossed they don't add any coffee to it or hop the hell out of it. They did a straightforward Bavarian hefeweizen a while back and I really enjoyed it.

LuskusDelph and dennis3951 like this.
  20. njcraftfan

So a can drop this coming weekend... wonder if it will be Sat or Sunday.
    Anyone try the latest batch of Here There Be Monsters?

21. dennis3951

I did it's the same as it was. I'll bet the release will be on Sunday.

22. dennis3951

hopsputin likes this.
  23. hopsputin

That new can art is awesome

24. hopsputin

It's Labor Day Weekend, and it's time to kick it, and chill with some friends, fam, good brews, and reward yourself for working that grind and hustle. To help do that, we're dropping two fresh batches of hop flava fo yo ear. On Friday we're tapping a fan favorite, Wepeel, a DDH American IPA coming in at 7.7% ABV. Oh yeah Alright. Feels good, inside. This IPA, is smooth and grainy with malted oats, raw oats and wheat that provides the dusty weight we want for the stone fruit jam coming from a DDH of El Dorado, Mosaic & Ekuanot hops, with also some notes of donut peach, nectarine, white apricot & bitter strawberry.

Also dropping Friday is a fresh batch of Jersey's Best Dancers, an American IPA clocking in at 7% ABV, DDH with Vic Secret and Southern Cross. This is where the Stone Pony meets the Court Tavern, where the turnpike gates and great swamps collide. They all find equal footing in a brazen swagger of light puffy pils & oats, soft, juicy and hazy with a solid combination of tropical fruit notes with slight grassiness and pine. Young, loud and hoppy.

Lastly, we have a little treat for the hop head, aluminum monsters. We will be dropping cans of "Here There Be Monsters" on Sunday, 9/2 at noon. Allotments are one (1) four pack per person with approx. 240 allotments available and cost is $18 per.

Here There Be Monsters: 6.8% ABV American IPA

Ye’ intruders beware, we’re off the edges of the map. So here’s to the Great Meadows lizard man, the Matawan man-eater, the Cape May sea serpent and the NJ devil. This hoppy, swaggy, swill is made for yer’ grogs! Sowed full of flaked oats, blend of pale and pilsner oats, and a thunderous clap of Vic Secret, Rakau, and Wakatu hops. Notes of rich and sweet fragrant pineapple, grassy pine meadows, peaches & muskmelon.

On Tap
    Hardog - American IPA - 6.9% ABV
    Wepeel (Friday) - American IPA - ABV
    Jersey's Best Dancers (Friday) - American IPA - ABV

Can't Or Won't? - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Hardog - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Wepeel (Friday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Jersey's Best Dancers (Friday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Split the Megahertz - American IPA
    TBD - Kolsch
    TBD - Imperial Stout

Jflopsu and dennis3951 like this.
  25. dennis3951

Drove by about 11:30 about 30 people on line.

hopsputin and bryantc3 like this.
  26. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (152) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

Heard around 60 at open.

hopsputin likes this.
  27. dennis3951

No wait now just walked in and bought a 4 pack. Was told there is plenty left.

hopsputin likes this.
  28. hopsputin

A Hefe and Stout on this weekend. I better cancel my existing plans :slight_smile:

Schoolbuses are making their rounds, routines are going back to "normal", but the heat is still beating us up. Don't worry, we have some cold, refreshing beverages for your needs. This weekend we're dropping three batches of three different styles. First is "Lake Suprise", a 10.5% ABV Russian Imperial Stout that boasts big flavor of bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, baguette, stiff rye dough, raisins and a warmth. Dense and intense, proven dependable, malt muscle chops. **We will only be serving 8oz pours in our taproomand 32oz growler fills of this beer.

On Friday, we got the return of "Hefen Is A Place On Earth", a refreshing Hefeweizen style ale that is light, crisp and refreshing. Ooh baby, we got the beat! We blurred the lines between the clean expressions of American wheat and fruity/spicy Northwest American Hefeweizen. As blonde as 4 non, the makeup is wheat, pilsner, spatter of Motueka & Wakutu hops and American Hefe yeast. Notes of wheat sugar, biscuits, lemon tea spice, and light white flowers.

Finally on Saturday, is the retrun of house favorite, "Lil' Shimmy Ye", TEB’s O G, bringin’ it to you proper hitting at 5.8% ABV. An oatted up American Pale Ale, electric dirt, sticky and soft. Apricot pulp and honeydew melon nectar. An eclectic heirloom grist gives a wrinkle of crackery biscuit malt, just ‘nuff to let ewey dewey combo of Belma, Citra and Mosaic pop, bright and dank

On Tap
    Wepeel - American IPA - 7.7% ABV
    Jersey's Best Dancers - American IPA - 7.0% ABV
    Split the Megahertz - American IPA - 6.2% ABV
    Lake Surprise - Russian Imperial Stout Blend - 10.5% ABV
    Hefen Is A Place On Earth - American Hefeweizen - 5.4% ABV

Tapping Saturday

Wepeel - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Jersey's Best Dancers - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Lake Surprise - 32 ounce growler vessel fills available only
    Split The Megahertz - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Hefen Is A Place On Earth (Friday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Lil' Shimmy Ye (Saturday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

TBD - Kolsch
    TBD - Imperial Stout
    Shimmy Ye - American IPA
    Nosh: Wakatu - American IPA
    TBD - Hoppy Wheat

29. MacMalt

Premium Trader

Lake Surprise is a good rendition of a Russian Imperial Stout but it would benefit from more dark fruit and a thicker mouth feel.

30. dennis3951

Had a Lake Surprise on Thursday good but not as Plain Jane as I like.

31. hopsputin

Anyone try the Hefe?

32. dennis3951

Yes it's very good

hopsputin and Mrstiffington like this.
  33. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (39) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Megahertz was real real good.

34. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (65) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Did a beer trade with co-worker for HERE THERE BE MONSTERS. That is a really nice beer, hits many of the my IPA buttons. Plus that can art is awesome.

hopsputin and Mrstiffington like this.
  35. Jflopsu

Trader

Anyone else try the RIS? And do you know if it lasted through last weekend? Also, not sure they're sending an email this week because they posted their drops on social media.

++++

Sup party people. Revamped version of one our staple IPAs hitting the taps this weekend. Couple other crushable thirst quenchers too as we hold on to summer just a little bit longer.

Shimmy Ye' - 6.7% ABV American IPA DDH with Citra, Enigma, Cascade, Hallertau Blanc and touch of Lemondrop. Notes of Galiameon, red currants, & lemon layer a cushion of soft goodness.

hopsputin likes this.
  36. njcraftfan

Stouts don't move that fast, and they only allowed 8oz pours due to the ABV so I think it will be around still

hopsputin and Jflopsu like this.
  37. dennis3951

It was there yesterday

Jflopsu likes this.
  38. hopsputin

Looking forward to trying the stout and Hefe tomorrow

dennis3951 likes this.
  39. Jflopsu

Trader

Spoke too soon about their email this week. Sorry all!

++++

There's been the hints of cool fall weather this past week, and we know it's just around the corner. With changing seasons, we are changing beers (like always), tapping four different styles of fresh batches this week. First off we have "Ballistic Hieroglyphics", a new 5.5% ABV American Pale Ale. This is Tutankhamun’s Chupacabra so give it up, no fuss, crunch crush, what’s what...The writings catapulted up against the wall, session-ability with a capital S. Pilsner and wheat malt pull back the curtain and capture the stature. Situation gets a little sticky with a soft assuage of Cascade, Galaxy & Jarrylo hops to manipulate the margins. Notes of chopped watermelon, blueberry fruit slices and gummy ring lemon banana. Second we "Passaic River Yacht Club" a new 4.4% ABV American Kolsch Style Ale. Easy drinking, approachable, malt centered with a touch of biscuit but also subtle pear from the yeast and slight spice from the hops. Batting third we have "Nothing But Net" a 7.4% ABV Warehouse Style Belgian Saison. This is our interpretation of a Belgian Farmhouse Ale. We decided to ditch the tag Farmhouse Ale at TEB after waking up to the realization that a true Farmhouse Ale is made on a farmstead brewery by folks invested in creating beers from local agriculture and local flora. That’s a tough road to hoe and the beers coming from these breweries are special so they should exist in a class of their own. Instead of co-opting their traditions we thought it best to dub our own. This beer is very pale with refreshing clean lactic sourness and a very high carbonation level. A light bread dough malt flavor supports the sourness and there is an expressive yeast character that is fruity, spicy, and not overly phenolic. The esters are moderate to high, reminiscent of citrus fruits such as oranges or lemons. Finally we have the return of one of our staple IPA's "Shimmy Ye'" that comes in at 6.7% ABV and was double dry hopped with Citra, Enigma, Cascade, Hallertau Blanc and touch of Lemondrop. Notes of Galiameon, red currants, & lemon layer a cushion of softness.

Check out this article written by our friend, Kevin Watson, for Edible Jersey! (Photo below by Lynette Peluso-Conn)

We will be closing early on Sat. 9/15 at 7pm. Sorry for any inconvenience.

On Tap
    Wepeel - American IPA - 7.7% ABV
    Jersey's Best Dancers - American IPA - 7.0% ABV
    Split the Megahertz - American IPA - 6.2% ABV
    Lake Surprise - Russian Imperial Stout Blend - 10.5% ABV
    Hefen Is A Place On Earth - American Hefeweizen - 5.4% ABV
    Ballistic Hieroglyphics (after Jersey's Best Dancers kicks) - American Pale Ale - 5.4% ABV
    Passaic River Yacht Club (tapping after De Day Da kicks) - American Kolsch Style Ale w/ Spelt - 4.3% ABV
    Shimmy Ye (tapping after Wepeel kicks) - American IPA - 6.7% ABV
    Nothing But Net (tapping after Split The Megahertz kicks) - Warehouse American Saison - 7.3% ABV

Wepeel - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Lake Surprise - 32 ounce growler vessel fills available only
    Split The Megahertz - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Hefen Is A Place On Earth - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Lil' Shimmy Ye - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Ballistic Hieroglyphics (after Jersey's Best Dancers kicks - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Passaic River Yacht Club (after De Day Da kicks) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Shimmy Ye (after Wepeel kicks) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Nothing But Net (after Split The Megahertz kicks) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Nosh: Wakatu
    - American IPA
    TBD - Hoppy Wheat
    TBD - Kettle Sour
    TBD - Amber Ale

hopsputin likes this.
  40. hopsputin

Ohhh an Amber Ale. Nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.