Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Two Brothers Red Eye Coffee Porter Returns!

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by drewba, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewba

drewba Nov 14, 2009 Illinois

From the Two Brothers facebook page:
    "Red Eye Porter is the first of our 15 archive recipes we will brew to celebrate our 15th anniversary. Red Eye debuted in the Spring of 2009 and quickly won acclaim from the public and press alike. We brewed it a second time, which was the last time we made it, in the fall of 2009. Since then it has easily become the most requested beer for us to bring back (like almost every day). So, we hope you enjoy the start of our fun 2012 project. Stay tuned for more information regarding its release on March 27."

Link to Facebook announcement

About time, eh?

MarkIntihar likes this.
  2. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Oct 22, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

hopefully they make enough of it so it is easy to get.

3. drewba

My hope is that Red Eye becomes an annual thing. I've had a couple bottles that had aged on shelves and the coffee was 100% gone, so forget about stocking up on this to age. In my super duper humble opinion, of course.

4. FlssmrBrewAlum

FlssmrBrewAlum Feb 25, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

..If Chicago area beer enthusiasts on this site can agree on anything, it's that this beer is welcomed back several times over..

5. bonemuse07

bonemuse07 Apr 15, 2007 Illinois

I'm just glad they didn't wait to make this the 11th or 12th beer. Now for Oh Brother!

6. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Oct 1, 2006 Illinois

Good news. Maybe Heavier Handed will return in non Jeroboam size. Hopefully Moaten doesn't return

7. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

This is a WELCOME development! More coffee beer please!

8. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Jan 25, 2009 Illinois

You have no idea how much it throws me off that you look NOTHING like your avatar...

raymo55 likes this.
  9. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

10. Khazadum

Khazadum Apr 29, 2010 Illinois

Fuckkkkkk. YES! I can rep them as a great brewery again!

11. EROCK75

EROCK75 Aug 5, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So it's March 27th and I will be near the brewery this afternoon. Any word on if this is set to release today? Would love to pick some up. No new news on facebook about it. It would be the icing on the cake for my birthday today.:)

12. vande

vande Jan 26, 2007 Illinois

I'm gonna guess not.... most places may get lucky to a case...but one can hope...

13. thewimperoo

Has 2 Brothers ever distributed a beer that was hard to get? Doesn't seem to be their style.

14. averagejake872

averagejake872 Apr 19, 2011 Illinois

Binnys South Loop got 10+ cases of it...I just picked up 4 bombers @ 6.99 each...

thewimperoo likes this.
  15. drewba

Askew was the only beer that even came close to "hard to get". But, hard to get = sat on shelves for 1-2 weeks.

16. hannydawg

hannydawg Apr 4, 2010 Illinois

Askew was on shelves by me for over a month

drewba likes this.
  17. thewimperoo

Yeah, I picked up Askew in like August or September. 3 or 4 months after it came out.

drewba likes this.
  18. dsal89

dsal89 Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Is this a brewery only release? Or will it be hitting shelves. It sounds lovely

19. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

20. dsal89

Nvm...i just saw the above picture. Niiiiiice

21. dsal89

22. vande

vande Jan 26, 2007 Illinois

Nice... I'm glad to be wrong :)

23. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Does anyone know if this is a Chicago/IL only release or will I be able to find this out here in the boonies? I'd love to try some. Two Brothers is literally five minutes (ok, maybe ten) from where I grew up.

24. dmsulli

dmsulli Jan 30, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Has anyone seen this at the Lakeview or LP Binny's yet today?

25. flogg186

flogg186 Mar 10, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I just left binny's lincoln park with a bottle

26. Orchids

Orchids Feb 7, 2010 Illinois

I keep hearing tomorrow from Naperville, Glen Ellyn, and Bloomingdale Binnys as well as the brewpub.

27. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Jan 12, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm drinking one on tap at Tribes Alehouse and I gotta tell ya, I had it last time out and I thought it was a great beer. Maybe my tastebuds changed, but I didn't care for it this time around. Thin body and no other flavor than coffee.

28. AleWatcher

Boooooo! Go back to Mordor you evil heartless bastard!

LONG LIVE THE RED EYE!

29. AleWatcher

Wait-- why wasn't this on tap last night when I was there?!

30. AleWatcher

awwww.
    But... So were you! I thought they liked you!

31. AleWatcher

pschul4 likes this.
  32. WITTBEER

Beer Trader

Two Brothers only released it yesterday. I'm sure it'll be on for a little while. Maple Tree in Blue Island put in on yesterday as well.

33. drewba

I already pre-purchased a case, so if you're right I'm going to extra a bunch, then smash the rest on camera and send the footage to Jason Ebel.

MarkIntihar, WITTBEER and AleWatcher like this.
  34. WITTBEER

Beer Trader

Damn! I'm glad I got to try it on tap before I bought it. Maybe it will taste better in bottles, for your sake at least.

35. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Lots and lots of this at Castle Vav as of this afternoon (Wednesday).

36. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I particularly like the phrase because when I tell people 'I saw X at the Lincoln Park Binny's' they almost always assume the Lakeview location on Clark. One cannot confuse the location of Castle Vav.

thetomG likes this.
  37. PlinytheFarter

PlinytheFarter Dec 5, 2011 Illinois

has anyone cracked a bottle yet? I bought a few... and these claims of it being not so great are scaring me... I am sadly working overnight inventory shifts all week so I shan't be opening one till Saturday.

38. drewba

To be fair, it's only a single claim thus far. The only other person I know that has already had a bottle said something to the effect of "it's still the best beer two brothers have ever made". I should have bottles tomorrow, I will report back asap.

39. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Jun 20, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Anticipation sours the cat.

I just made that up.

Vav and drewba like this.
  40. mcc1654

mcc1654 Mar 20, 2011 Illinois

I drank a bottle last night. It was very good. Easily the best Two Brothers beer I have ever had, but I don't drink much of them. It had great coffee flavor and didn't seem thin to me. I don't regret buying 4 bottles.

PlinytheFarter and pschul4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe