Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Two Brothers Red Eye Coffee Porter Returns!

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by drewba, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wseitz

Wseitz Apr 25, 2010 Illinois

Tore through a bottle last night and I thought it was a worthy purchase. Not out of this world fantastic, but I may try to find another bottle or two before it's gone.

2. RTrain12

RTrain12 Feb 6, 2010 Illinois

Picked up one bottle yesterday. Drank it today, then went to the store and picked up two more bottles!

3. vic21234

vic21234 Jan 25, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had some on-tap this afternoon at the Warrenville Tap House. It's certainly good stuff, but nothing I would go crazy in seeking out. I picked up two bottles at my local shop as well. The real find at the shop was a bottle of FW Sucaba, can't wait to try it.

4. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Feb 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Have had three bottles now. One was kinda lousy, one was pretty good, and one was passable.

Your mileage may vary...

5. RTrain12

RTrain12 Feb 6, 2010 Illinois

I had one with a messed up label...

davidthebruce likes this.
  6. G0AtMAN919

G0AtMAN919 Jan 3, 2005 Illinois

I went to the Two Brothers Tap House last week to pick up a few bottles, and by the time I was done eating dinner, they were out! D'oh! The Binny's in Bolingbrook had a limit of 2 bottles per customer so my girlfriend and I each grabbed a couple. It was awesome on tap, so I can't wait to crack open a bottle.

7. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

There's still plenty of it around.

8. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Finally cracked one last night. It was very tasty. Tastes very much like I remember...

9. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

The taste is very good. The mouth feel is very thin. It's a 9.2 ABV porter that drinks like cola. The downside is, much like Northwind, the aftertaste and the carbonation are both also very cola-like. It's a good beer for $7.99. It's not a great beer for $10. I normally don't look at the price for a glass at a pub, but if this is over $5, I will pass. While the flavor is great, it's not very challenging or complex... not something you savor... something you drink to quench a thirst. Just IMO.

10. emilystrikesagai

emilystrikesagai Dec 20, 2011 Illinois

I like Northwind more (not the same thing, I know) but I still liked Red Eye. I'm glad I grabbed a bottle but wouldn't go out of my way to get another one.

If anything it's nice to see Two Brothers go "darker". Their beers tend to play it safe and drinkable and while this was a pretty safe porter I think it branched out their current portfolio a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe