Two "off the radar" Gems

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ZAP, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,836) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Not sure how off the radar these are but these are two excellent beers I want to alert people to.

1. Great Waters Hardy Handy Hefe: Had this on Saturday prior to the Van Halen concert and was blown away. Hefe's are one of my favorite styles and to me the best local ones have always been Schell, Town Hall, New Glarus Dancing Man (although a bit bigger than most), and also Harriet Island Hefe. Sierra Kellerweiss is good in a pinch. I love the German options on tap but shy away from them in bottles due to some bad experiences with old beer. Anyhow...with all that said this one tops the list for me. One of the best hefe's I've had. I was a bit surprised with how much of an impression this left on me. It is the perfect summer hefe. Low ABV (4.85...less than a Bud)...but still a nice body and awesome aroma and flavors....

This has the flavor I love in a hefe. Banana....vanilla...low hops...creamy wheatiness...just a dandy....would love to have a keg of this for the summer....err..end of May...

2. Lucette Easy Rider: I've only seen this at Groveland Tap in St. Paul. it is one of the best pale ales I've had. 5.2% ABV so sessionable to an extent.....loaded with hop goodness but not overly bitter...just flavorful...ranks right up there with Alesmith X for me as the top tier of pale ales.

Chaz likes this.
  2. incutrav

incutrav Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

Ill be at GW tomorrow, so ill give the hefe a try. Bob always did good with the style, and the new guy must as well.
    Lucette Easy Rider is excellent. I toured the brewery a little over a year ago. six pack, 16oz cans will be out soon!

3. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (516) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I've burned through two 1/4bbl kegs of Easy Rider at home in less a year. Great pale ale. Their other beers are good as well.

4. Coveralls

Coveralls Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2008 Minnesota

I've been drinking the Lucette Easy Rider up at the Pizza Luce in Hopkins for several Months now and completely agree with you! It's an excellent, easy drinking Pale with a nice hop character. Haven't tried the Great Waters Hefe yet. I knew we should have gone there before the Van Halen concert this weekend!

5. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Ive had a few of the Lucette beers as well- on a whole they are absolutely fantastic. The 3 I've had rival the best beers in the styles for me- that is quite an accomplishment!

6. psychotia

psychotia Aspirant (223) Jun 27, 2009 Wisconsin

I'll give some more love to Lucette -- all four of their offerings are great and fit the respective mood/weather well. However, Easy Rider is easily my favorite of theirs. It's a centennial hop assault!

7. mjryan

I think I heard cans by mid summer. Silos of Easy Rider and the rest of their lineup. Yay!

8. incutrav

Early word was a a 6pk of tall boys would be 'affordable' as well, as in under ten bucks. That would be awesome.

Ish1 likes this.
  9. incutrav

I thought i saw on JJ Taylors FB or twitter that they received label approval for all their beers, although on Lucettes FB page they say that only Farmers Daughter will be canned at first. That one is my least favorite of theirs, although still pretty good.

10. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,459) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Society

A friend of mine is sort of Lucette's de facto sales rep here in the Twin Cities, and he has been telling me for months that their six packs of 16 ounce cans will most likely sell for around $8-9.

incutrav, djschnabel and morimech like this.
  11. copslovebeer

copslovebeer Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2012 Minnesota

Lucette found it's way to a local bar here in Red Wing, and I have been nothing but impressed with all their brews, but IMO Easy Rider stands out above the rest.

12. Greggy

Greggy Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2007 Minnesota

I have been extremely impressed with all of lucette's lineup. The stout is very complex for a beer if such low alcohol and is by far the best stout I've ever had. The belgian golden, shining dawn, is a tremendous beer with again, great complexity and further, low abv. The pale and farmers daughter please me everytime I'm lucky to find them on tap. I'm surprised I don't see them on all tap lines right now in the metro.

13. incutrav

I see Great Waters just put the New Centurian(dark mild) on cask again as well. Might be the best beer GW brews-tough style to find in the metro as well.

KarlHungus likes this.
  14. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (5,395) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

With the rush of "newer" breweries entering the Twin Cities I didn't expect much, & Lucette's stout was a revelation. Looking forward to trying more of their stuff & if I see it in cans, it'll end up in my trunk for sure.

15. mjryan

Agreed, nice beer. My only gripe with it is that when I see Mild, I think session beer and at 5% abv it doesn't fit the bill. Of course, that's my problem, not theirs.

16. incutrav

Its 4.7 technically. Was there last night, between the IPA, Hefe and the mild, its a darn good lineup.

17. mjryan

Oh, well that's better. Still would like to see them brew a low gravity Bitter or Mild. No other joint in town is a dedicated to Real Ale as they are so I would think they would make some true session beer. Again, this is my problem, not theirs.

18. LIQUORBARREL

LIQUORBARREL Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

8-Bit sessionable and awesome no doubt..

19. incutrav

Farmers Daughter is in Hudson now , six pack tallboys. 8.99 at Chincones, a buck more at the Nova. Thats some stellar pricing(equals a $6.75 sixer!). I prefer the stout and the pale ale, but this should be good for the remainder of the summer.

So nice to see a brewery release package beer in an affordable package, and not bombers(as they had originally planned)

20. herman77

herman77 Savant (965) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

That is a good deal. Are we gonna see this on shelves in MN? Why aren't they canning Easy Rider? Love that beer, reminds me of a "Baby Abrasive."

21. incutrav

Easy Rider to come next, later in the year. It will be in MN at some point, not sure when though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.