UK Weekend Beerage

Discussion in 'Great Britain' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Hu55ersfield

Hu55ersfield Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2014 United Kingdom (England)

Two superb beers yesterday, Northern Powerhouse series 001 brewed by Wylam in collaboration with Buxton. (Can)
    North Brewing & Verdant triple fruited Gose, (Draught)

DJ-Hophead, Hanglow and EmperorBevis like this.
  2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (3,934) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

cloudwaterbrew DIPA Citra Centennial picked up from my local Bargain Booze. At last some part of 2018 that resounds with utopian future world.

DJ-Hophead, jazzyjeff13 and Hanglow like this.
  3. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (696) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Lidl own brand Hatherwood IPA, canned. Was actually ok, had a fairly intense malty flavour from the rye in it and an appreciable bitterness. Fine for 99p a can. Also bought some perlenbacher for the first time in ages, got the cans and they are brewed in france lul. Pishwater but better than carling/fosters I suppose.

EmperorBevis and jonb5 like this.
  4. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (3,507) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Happy weekend everyone!

I stopped by the Roosters brewery open day earlier - music, tours and of course, beer. It's their 25th anniversary this year and they've been putting out a range of collaborative beers with breweries from all over. One of the offerings today was an IPA brewed with Odells, along with a good selection of their regular output....

So far tonight I've had
    Oakham - Citra
    Bristol Beer Factory - Southville Hop
    Black Iris - Circle of Snakes (very nice)

EmperorBevis and Hanglow like this.
  5. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (854) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

After a killer day on the bike trails Founders KBS really hasn't hit the spot. I'm really not keen. It's very aggressive. Fortunately I have a Chimay Special Reserve to wash it down with, thanks to a super beer trader in Belgium.

jazzyjeff13 and Hanglow like this.
  6. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (854) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

That Chimay is absolutely sterling. And really strong.

Hanglow likes this.
  7. jazzyjeff13

An interesting beer-related activity today - I went on a guided walk in York Cemetery. The theme for this was pub landlords and brewers, so the guide pointed out a variety of graves belonging to various people formerly connected to the trade in some way. Some of the pubs mentioned no longer exist, so it was a fascinating trip into the past. Also, not a few of them seem to have met their ends while blind drunk....

Glad I'm not the only one who thought so when I finally got around to trying it. It's a good beer and I can see why it gets the attention it does, but the bourbon character is pretty full-on....

I'm currently finishing up the weekend with Belleville's Picnic Session IPA.

Hoppsbabo likes this.
  8. EmperorBevis

Week before payday, I'm in for a long weekend
    I've got Badger's reshuffle of Poacher's Choice ie Cranborne Poacher
    & Fierce US pale Dayshift

9. DJ-Hophead

DJ-Hophead Meyvn (1,225) May 28, 2015 United Kingdom (England)

Nice beer festival in Bristol yesterday at LHG.

Garage Double Soup, Foudre Peel
    De Molen Heen and Weer
    Wylam Kill Phil, Morello
    Verdant Planets don't Twinkle - El Dorado
    Mills Brewing Today
    Northern Monk Cherry Porter
    Burnt Mill Galaxy Hop

Really liked Today from Mills Brewing, a local doing some fantastic sour beers. One to watch. Verdant kicked the juicy hops and Wylam Morello was a lovely sourish porter.

hdtrice, EmperorBevis and Hanglow like this.
  10. Hanglow

This forum is dying isnt it? :slight_frown:

RIP

Drinking a Tempest Soma IPA, from Aldi at less than £2 a bottle. Wonderful beer, used to be known as Bomber I think

11. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,699) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

I've been drinking less interesting beers, lots of the new ones are just too expensive and generally too hit and miss. I did do a beer and food tour around Bermondsey last week.
    Southwark brewing - enjoyed the pale ale,
    Anspach and Hobday - porter, rye pale and a saison paired with 3 Neal's Yard cheeses (stilton, cheddar, Wensleydale)
    The Bottle Shop for some Deya Steady Rolling man and a NZ milk stout I forget, with some awesome Cannon and Cannon salami,
    Brew by Numbers - Norwegian Farmhouse ale (with Aegir) and Citra Session IPA
    Finished at the Bottle Shop with a can of Cloudwater Citra Ekuanot IPA

DJ-Hophead, EmperorBevis and Hanglow like this.
  12. EmperorBevis

It's impressive how long this thread has gone on
    it just seems there aren't that many UK people joining BA
    & those who are, aren't very chatty, which is fair enough, but the forums are what used to be the the appeal of here rather than Untappd or **shudders** Ratebeer.

Some heavy handing modding has put a few longstanding UK members off & the resetting of accounts is, well let me put it this way, BlackHaddock should be the highest rated UK member (in all senses) but now is a zero initiative

I'll try & post more its just ~

Currently the closest source of good beer is Bargain Booze
    though they do seem to be following the CwrwAmByth's quote
    Cloudwater cans a seemingly endless combination of APA/AIPA/DIPA hops and Malts.
    Ranging between £4.70 to six odd quid
    this kind of output is what tired me of Kernel
    but they got in more menthol & subtle flavours, as good as the CW are it is getting to be full on citrus with a hint of sulphur everytime & a big price for a local outfit.

DJ-Hophead, CwrwAmByth and Hanglow like this.
  13. EmperorBevis

Aldi oh I'll pop across the road...
    AARrrRRRggggGGGhhhHH!
    Damn you Scottish Aldi & your great low cost beer

DJ-Hophead and CwrwAmByth like this.
  14. jazzyjeff13

We'll try harder.....

Also, I liked your comment but I kinda want to dislike it as well. Where are the amazing ALDI beers south of the border??

Just finished Marble's Appalachian Green (hoppy pilsner).

DJ-Hophead, Hanglow and CwrwAmByth like this.
  15. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,699) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

It's about the money, sadly. Speaking of which, Fuller's Past Masters beers are on the webshop for £45... At first I thought it the price of a case. How very mercenary of them.

I can feel myself going all "in my day..." already. Remember when £7 was the price of the most expensive beer in the shop?

16. EmperorBevis

I had the XX Strong, what six years ago rated it just under four out of five & must have handed over six to nine quid for it
    so good, probably aged well but at the Xmas markets they would sell a comparable JW Lee's harvest Vintage for about fifteen quid

17. jazzyjeff13

Yeah, I feel more and more like this as well. While there are still plenty of good value beers out there, the number of beers in my local shop that are above a fiver has increased significantly. And it's not like they're all special barrel-aged efforts or anything....

18. DJ-Hophead

DJ-Hophead Meyvn (1,225) May 28, 2015 United Kingdom (England)

Just back from a short trip to Bologna and like most of my trips all locals :

Croce di Malto Hauria
    Mister B Bomba, Bamba
    Hilltop Gallagher Stout
    7 Volte Forte Gose
    Crak Guerilla 2018, NE IPA
    Zapap Cha'apa
    Brewfist Spaceman, Burocracy
    Lariano La Grigna, Black Sherry
    L'Ortica and Rurale Mascarella 28
    Menaresta Pan Negar
    Extraomnes Speciaal, Saison
    Baladin Xyayu 2014
    Birrifico Italiano Asteroid
    Birrone Ex1
    Lambrate Imperial Ghisa
    Ca'del Brado Invernomuto, U Baccarosa
    Retorto Daughter of Autumn
    Hammer Killer Queen

Lovely city with a good beer scene, even in the quiet time of roasting August holidays. Not cheap, city regarded the Sweden of Italy, nothing really under 5 euros a 330 ml bottle in bars and bottle shops, local sours 9 euros small bottle, but very high standard of bars and beers. Standouts Ca'del Brado, local brewery doing some very funky sours in wine barrels, CRAK, can brewery doing some good IPA's, Mister B, one year old brewery, Bamba a great NE IPA which ticked all the boxes for me. Speaking to the very knowledgeable bar persons had wine scene to break. No real tax on wine, harking back to the Fascist times making it hard to low price micro brews. Interesting conversations about cans over bottles. All the bar persons happy with cans, all customers prefer bottles, poor beer in cans and wine influence probably.

PS My Beer Karma has been reset to 0. Will check later to see if my points have been given back.

19. EmperorBevis

Thought it would be a beer free week due to finances but house/cat sitting for a friend
    & left me a couple of quid & supermarkets classic ales six pack
    Barkspear/cumberland/razorback/pedigree/hobgoblin/LancasterBomber
    so got a cloudwater can to use as hop cordial lmao

Hanglow likes this.
  20. Hanglow

I am currently on a Speyside holiday, unfortunately the best beer at the hotel I am at is a year old bottle of Speyside brewery bottle nose. Other choices are McEwan's 80 , Caledonia best, Guinness or Tennant's. Luckily pub half mile away has some decent cask on. Still, whisky will be doing the most liver damage this week