Great Britain UK Weekend Beerage

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 10, 2012.

1. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Did you notice my education details on FB?

3. CwrwAmByth

Yeah lol.

Magical Mystery Case arrived.
    Paulaner 330ml Hefeweizen x2
    Delirium Xmas x2
    Hacker-Pschorr Sternweisse x2
    Hopf Helle Weisse x2
    Old Dairy Wild Hop
    Old Dairy Snow Top
    Windsor & Eton Conqueror
    Hoepfner Export
    Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier
    Leikeim Premium
    Struise Montuecha
    Mikkeller Weizenbock
    Beavertown Gamma Ray APA
    Abbaye du Val-Dieu Biere de Noel
    Astra Urtyp
    Slaghmuylder's Kerstbier Christmas Beer

and a St. Thomas Goblet

Also they're all in date. Not bad for 20 odd quid.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  4. fuseboy

fuseboy Feb 28, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

That's pretty damn decent for just under 30 quid! Wonder if everyone gets something different, cos sure they had Kernel in the line up. Looking forward to mine - if the selection is the same I haven't any of them (though i already have that glass :()

5. paxton1978

paxton1978 Aug 8, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

Pft that's not good!
    It's magnificent, you lucky bastard!

6. CwrwAmByth

Have to admit I'm happy with the Struise, Mikkeller and Beavertown! Was cool opening it though, like Christmas :p

7. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat May 20, 2009 Ireland

8. paxton1978

Just picked up some bottles of Tesco Finest Double IPA for Burns Night on Friday. I was ecstatic to find that they were bottled on the 15th of Jan- probably the freshest ones I've ever gotten my hands on. I've also got some 3-4 year-old Alesmith Wee Heavy for the occasion too. And yes, I'm only observing it as an excuse to drink some fine Scottish beer (although the Alesmith obviously isn't and the Brewdog was probably contracted out to Meantime!) If anyone else has some suggestions for solid Scottish beers available widely in the South of England, I'd love to hear about them!

9. fuseboy

Was wondering the same myself - my Xmas stash of Williams Bros beer has pretty much gone!

Didn't even think about Tesco Finest Doube IPA, may have to pick up some bottles to take round to my Dad's - he's obviously doing Haggis, neeps and tatties with Whisky sauce (yummy, though gonna give the neeps/swede a miss :))

I'm quite partial to a McEwans Champion - that's easily found.

10. paxton1978

ah, I haven't had that for a while and it certainly sits comfortably with the high-abv fayre I've got already! Good shout.

11. Hanglow

Hanglow Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Two belgian dark homebrews and a belgian oud bruin for me tonight. Rather minced as I had some wine and whisky earlier.

The double IPA from Tesco is supposedly brewdog Hardcore.

It's pretty good value imo, as long as you like a 9% mango salad

12. paxton1978

Ha, yeah- hence my snide comment about it being brewed at Meantime. For my money it's one of the best bangs for your bucks you can get in a UK supermarket. I think it's a great beer and I actually like the fact that it's rebadged, because it means that I don't have to read the usual hatchet-job schoolboy copy on the side of the bottle.

13. EmperorBevis

I find it as somewhat mixed quality and qualities sometimes like you said mango salad (ok)
    sometime Haribo Grapefruit (quite nice) Sometimes Lemon washing up liquid (not so good)

14. paxton1978

I had a bottle a couple of months ago, but otherwise I've actually found it to be nowhere near as mixed as Punk, which just varies to an insane degree. Maybe I've just been lucky!

15. EmperorBevis

That was my experience till about three months back.

16. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Harviestoun? Orkney? No idea what’s widely available down there.

I do wonder where the McEwan’s stuff is brewed now. Bedford? Tadcaster? Edinburgh? But the new bottled version of McEwan’s Export comes in the same odd-shaped bottle that the other Wells & Youngs beers do, so I’m inclined to think Bedford.

17. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Well, consider that Sainbury's used to stock BD's Hardcore and pulled it a few months ago. The general public are often going to buy stuff that tends towards average, so selling such products is good business.....

In other news, I've just finished drinking the worst Xmas beer ever - Oxfordshire ales' Uncle Scrooge. Absolute fucking shit! If you should see it do not be tempted.

Now on an Old Peculier - trying to get the taste out of my mouth.

18. CwrwAmByth

Summer wine want to deliver tomorrow, the one day in january i can't be at home during the day
    :mad:

19. Robert_N

Robert_N Apr 10, 2012 United Kingdom (Wales)

What time? You can have them send it to my shop and I will look after it for you.

20. CwrwAmByth

Nah it's alright cheers. I'm only gone for a 1 hour exam so I'll probably be in for it.

21. Dennoman

Dennoman Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

Seriously, you did pick up some goodies for yourself right?

22. jazzyjeff13

Wednesday night, and I'm drinking! I've had a Daleside Pride of England, Robinson's Unicorn and am finishing with a Dragon stout.....

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  23. CwrwAmByth

Yep. They'd been on my mental list of breweries to try for a while now, and your request coincided with my student loan coming through so I saw it as a sign from God that I should. Plus, because it's taken so long, Andy said he'd put in some more stuff for free.

24. CwrwAmByth

Was delivered to the neighbours while I was out, all there except for the extra free glass which broke :(

25. fuseboy

Got my Magical Mystery Box:

3 Delirium Noel
    3 Paulaner Hefe weissbier
    2 Hacker Pschorr Sternweisse
    Motuecha Single Hop (i think that's what it is)
    Windsor & Eton Republika
    Mikkeller Belgian Tripel
    Hoepfner Goldkopfle
    Augustiner Munchen Lagerbier Hell
    Old Dairy Gold Top
    Astra Urtyp
    Tongerlo Christmas
    2 Hopf Helle Weisse
    Shoreditch Blonde
    Slaghmuylder's Kerstbier
    and a St Thomas Chalice - they must have a few of these to shift!!

Little bit disappointed - more to do with all the duplicates and I can get Paulaner at Tesco. Haven't tried the other beers so all in all pretty good value!

Also, got Kernel Export India Porter and Collaboration London Stout, Partizan (not sure which one), Lindemans Faro, Troubadour Magma, Wild Beer Wildebeest, Gueuze Tilquin and BrewWharf Reserve ( though think some of this leaked cos some bottles were a bit wet and didnt seem full to the top :()

26. CwrwAmByth

That looks pretty good actually, though the 3 Deliriums is a bit odd. Don't worry, my box appeared to have been stored somewhere the snow had got to it. I thought there were leaks when I got it because the box was damp but it appears to be fine now.

27. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Began with the Magpie Raven Stout (nice) followed by Grafters Brewery's "Howler" , also nice and a good contrast. But loving my dark beers it was back to the Raven Stout for the rest of the session.My colleague never strayed from the dark path.

28. paxton1978

29. jazzyjeff13

Kicked off Thursday eve with a Brakspear Bitter; now on a Wells Eagle IPA....

30. CwrwAmByth

Started early to celebrate the last exam, with Beavertown Gamma Ray APA, before moving swiftly onto a Summer Wine Oregon West Coast Pale Ale, then an Old Dairy Wild Hop to accompany a chinese takeaway, with a Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus for dessert. Now I'm thinking a Brains Craft Boilermaker (Welsh Whiskey IPA) and Wasatch Polygamy Porter to finish off the night.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  31. jazzyjeff13

Impressive for a school night!

Didn't think much of the Eagle IPA - then realised I was drinking an old bottle (despite looking at the date repeatedly from the beginning). I'm a muppet. I'll have to try a fresher bottle....

Finishing up with Thornbridge's Kipling, nomnomnom.....

32. CwrwAmByth

School night, oi I'm 20!

Plus lecture don't start until monday... :D

33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Just a minor entry for me but hell, I fancied it so much: Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout. The "newest" beer from the UK to show up in my town. This screams, SCREAMS, chocolate like no other beer I've ever had.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  34. jazzyjeff13

Got one stashed away - will have to try soon.....

35. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

It wasn't bad for Sam Smiths I guess!

36. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

Had a Brains "CRAFT" beer at the weekend.

Barry Island IPA.

Summed up the place in question quite well - shiiiiite !

EmperorBevis likes this.
  37. reprob8

reprob8 May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

the weekend started one day earlier this week, Wednesday at NWAF and I was judging on the National Porter Panel. A few so so beers along with a couple of outstanding ones. It was no surprise to me that Elland 1872 Porter won in its category and then went on to take overall Champion Winter Beer of Britain, the second time it has won this accolade.
    After the judging it was the serious business of drinking, and I have to remind myself not to spend the day in the company of professionals! Too many beers and much good conversation made the day fly by.

38. shyhenry

shyhenry Oct 11, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

How was the boilermaker? I had it on cask last month and it was f**king atrocious. While the condition may have been a bit off a bit, a whiskey barrel IPA sounds like a flawed idea from the start...

39. CwrwAmByth

Never had that one but as its the one that got chosen to sell in Tesco nationwide well, you can get all you need to know from that! Plus It's the one they make in the big brewery not the craft brewery. I'll try and bring some of the ones I thought were decent to you though, some of them surprised me tbh, though obviously not a scratch on buxton, etc. Not bad for half the price.

And watch it, my mum's from Barry!

Though you can probably tell it's bad by how she saw Ilford as a better place to live...:confused:

40. CwrwAmByth

Yeah it was not very good, no hops whatsoever!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe