Great Britain UK Weekend Beerage

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 10, 2012.

1. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (2,602) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Cairngorm's White Lady. Unexceptional....

2. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (618) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Trooper, ok but should be better Bruce

Hobgoblin from can courtesy of my dad, he pointed out their "oi lager boy, you afraid of taste" advertising for possibly the fifteenth time, I think he's going senile.Still could be worse

Three homebrews, a porter that is lovely, a bitter that is decent and a sort of jarl inspired clone that tastes of lilt. But so much better

Also had Broughton 6.2 IPA yesterday, was ok, a tad too sweet though. I think if you are going to do an American style IPA from cask you had better make it really dry as the soft carbonation doesn't help you there

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (4,690) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Bottle? Was the bottle signed by Christopher Timothy? :rolleyes:

4. jazzyjeff13

Waitrose German Pils. Quite nice....

5. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,688) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

The beers of europe site is so slow and useless. I don't even want to buy anything, just browse damn it.

6. CwrwAmByth

Actually screw that, £1.25 for Sierra Nevada Porter and £1 for Rothaus Tannen Zapfle pils? Yes please.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  7. marquis

marquis Crusader (707) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Rain forecast, turned out warm and sunny! Just the opposite of what normally happens. So off to the Wheel Inn in Branston, a lovely village which makes the Cotswolds look very ordinary.
    Began with Belvoir Brewery's Gordon Bennett , then a drop of Bateman's XB for old time's sake. It's still a pint you can drink all night, something I can't say about a lot of present day beers.To finish off , some Heavenly Blonde from Oldershaw Brewery which is I believe in a garage in Grantham. Or was when I last visited it. All in stunning nick in a superb pub.
    [​IMG]

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (94) May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

couple of pints of Bernard Unfiltered whilst organising beers for GBBF International bar.

9. jazzyjeff13

Robinson's Build a Rocket Boys! Crap....

10. CwrwAmByth

Kicking off the weekend with Augustiner Helles. S'ok.

11. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Will be doing a taste off between Dale's Pale Ale and SN Pale Ale later tonight.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. Zimbo

You're right, sadly that is still the case. Website designers...they're the bloody used car salesman of the 21st Century.

13. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (618) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I just did a taste off of the Courage and Harveys stouts as that earlier thread tickled my interest

Harveys wins, what a great beer. I'd had the courage before but not the Harveys

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. CwrwAmByth

The upside was that the next day delivery came at 8.20 am so I didn't have to wait in all day!

15. Aye

Aye Aspirant (239) Jul 21, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Brewfist Spaceman IPA, a bit of a mess, oily, sweet and clangingly metallic. Shame as the nose promised so much more. Might be a bit past it.

16. Zimbo

Service is always good for BoE. Too bad their online face does not do their greatness justice.

17. CwrwAmByth

Very true. I'm glad the reduced to clear section is harder to find now. Means it won't sell out as quickly!

18. Aye

The Kernel Table Beer, maybe I can palm the second bottle off onto someone.

19. Zimbo

Lou Pepe Famboise. Probably more to come.

20. Aye

Kernel Table Beer is growing on me. The thinness of the beer and lack of balancing sweetness threw me after drinking their higher gravity stuff.
    Next up Kernel Beer De Table followed by Tabelle Bier and Birra Tavola

21. CwrwAmByth

Jacob Edel pils and rothaus tannen zapfle with a curry. Say what you want about milds, you can't beat lager with a curry.

22. jazzyjeff13

Paradox Springbank. Whisky & Beer....

This bottle was given to me for my birthday about 3 or 4 years ago - I figured it was about time to crack it open!

23. Aye

Anarchy We Are Knuckle Dragger DIPA

24. jazzyjeff13

Ilkley's Siberia Rhubarb Saison. Tart but intriguing.

25. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Got one on it's way to me right now. :)

This weekend a Kiwi mate who own's a local deli that sells decent beer had an evening event for the solstice where multiple Kernels, Beavertowns, Buxtons and Partizans were sunk (Bloody 'Ell being the highlight).

Also had a Bristol Saison which continued their unbroken run of beers I've sampled but haven't thought much of.

There was some macro Kiwi stuff going around that the owner described as 'the antithesis of craft beer'. He got it cheap off the distributor as it was going out of date but still managed to flog it all on the night. Unfortunately I didn't get to sample it. Later on I popped open a 3F Intense Red which I regret because I was too battered to really enjoy it.

Last night had this years Fantome Saison which was pretty disappointing compared to the last batch I got.

Zimbo likes this.
  26. CwrwAmByth

I absolutely loved Bloody 'Ell. Did you try Heavy Water by any chance? Got a bottle sitting in my flat.

27. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Not tried that Heavy Water yet. It will get ticked soon no doubt.

Bloody 'Ell is one of the best things they've done I think. Need to grab it again before it disappears. Their brewpub said they haven't been able to get hold of any more so I assume it's all out in the market place.

28. CwrwAmByth

They're making more of it so hopefully it'll be one of the regulars soon enough!

Also: http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/to-ol-mine-is-bigger-than-yours-xxxl damn it's all sold out, was this close to buying it...

29. jazzyjeff13

Bulldog Strong Ale. Looks quite nice, shame about the lack of flavour....

30. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (94) May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

and not a Saison, nothing vaguely reminiscent of a Saison. But not bad.

31. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat Aspirant (246) May 20, 2009 Ireland
    Beer Trader

This.

Went nice with some Indian food, mind.

32. Aye

5AM Saint.

33. jazzyjeff13

Just finished a Black Sheep Holy GrAle, and am now on a Thwaites Nutty Black.

34. Bitterbill

Beer Trader

I got to get me more of the Harvey's. A pretty much "unknown" brew in the US and I hope it stays that way until I fill my quota. :rolleyes:

35. jazzyjeff13

Don't worry - I'd say it's 'unknown' over here as well....

Bitterbill likes this.
  36. Aye

Off to visit her family next week which will take us eventually to the Plume of Feathers in Greenwich, a Harvey's house and
    several pints of Sussex Best Bitter. I'll sink one for you BB.
    En route we'll also take in Palmers of Bridport, Symondsbury cider shed, possibly Borough market area and a newish brewery near Tonbridge.

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. CwrwAmByth

Pretty much everything European is unknown in America except Sam Smiths (omg that imperial stout is so traditional and balanced) and Cantillon (soursoursoursour its not good if its not a sour)

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. marquis

marquis Crusader (707) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Chesapeake from the nearby Newby Wyke brewery , quite a reasonable pint and at £1.95 at Wetherspoons quite good value for a 5.5% cask beer.

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (3,070) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

I am having a real hard time finding some bottles of decent, affordable and accesible beer for this weekend :(

40. Bitterbill

Beer Trader

How did that turn out?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe