Under the Radar Breweries

Discussion in 'US - West' started by ScottieD, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottieD

ScottieD Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut

Headed out to the Thousand Oaks area in a few weeks. Looking for some recommendations on under the radar CA breweries, as well as some good craft beer bars. Would love some recommendations if possible. Thanks.

2. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,363) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia

Ladyface makes some very nice beers.

teamizm, DrAwkward82 and drewone like this.
  3. TheAngryBurrito

TheAngryBurrito Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2013 California

Craftsman in Pasadena. No tasting room, but you can find their beers all over Pasadena. They make really fantastic beer.

Jugs_McGhee and queens1130 like this.
  4. besaunders

besaunders Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

No kidding. I ALWAYS get their beer when I see it on tap (usually at Blind Lady or Tiger Tiger in San Diego, usually the Heavenly Heff).

5. chromebomb

chromebomb Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2009 California

6. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 California

wish they would use their bottling line for beer instead of eating lunch

pmarlowe and Jugs_McGhee like this.
  7. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Zealot (583) Jul 7, 2012 California
    Trader

The LAB is close to your area and also has these insanely hot chicken wings yummy
    also Wades Wines has an insane amount of taps and decent bottle selection
    Ladyface has ok beer but the problem is they have a snooty attitude from most of the people who work there I would prefer to go to the Lab when I am in the area as they are much more craft beer down to earth attitude
    also if you shoot over the freeway not too far you can hit up ENEGREN or if you go North there is
    Ventura Surf Brew which has great attitude and ok beer (there DIPA is good but always out) but great tap room
    about an hour or so north you have Hollister which is amazing beer and awesome tap room I try make it up there as often as possible and fill some growlers

xthebeermanx likes this.
  8. ScottieD

ScottieD Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut

Thanks much for all the assistance. I appreciate it greatly. Have been to Ladyface and Wade's Wines before. But have yet to go to the others. Did email Chris from Enegren, and he gave me some good days and times to come out to the brewery for a tour. Looking forward to trying the other suggestions. Thanks again.

9. luwak

luwak Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

Craftsman....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2321

So i had a Angelino Weisse from Craftsman at Toronado SD a while back and I was very impressed.
    Saw another for sale at Tiger Tiger which came highly recommended by staff and patrons alike but i chose some Beachwood thing instead.
    Does this guy bottle or can yet? Website is kinda sparse.
    Is it hard to find his stuff in SD area? OC?

10. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

I always see at least one Craftsman offering at Blind Lady Alehouse, and usually see at least one at Tiger!Tiger! Toronado SD will have something other pretty often.

No, he doesn't bottle or can. Thought about it a while back from what I read, but then decided against it.

luwak likes this.
  11. luwak

luwak Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

Okay thanks.
    I'm getting excited for SD Beer Week and thinking too much about what i might be able to bring back
    Do the insane CA growler laws permit fills at bars that aren't breweries?

12. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

No.

13. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

You can't
    You won't be able to bring anything back, but Blind Lady or Tiger! Tiger! Usually has a guided flight with the brewer. HIGHLY recommend it. I did it last year, and probably going to do it again this year. Hearing him talk about what he was going for with each beer is fascinating, and really makes you appreciate them more. I have a friend who had never heard of them before, but will now buy their beer every time he sees any of them on tap simply because of that event.

14. gatornlb

gatornlb Initiate (55) Feb 4, 2013 Florida

Not sure if you are flying via LAX but I've always felt El Segundo Brewing flies somewhat under the radar. Good stuff!

15. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (505) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Amazing IPAs.

16. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (235) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

came in to post this. good job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.