Undissolved Yeast.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by daysinthewake, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Aspirant (206) Nov 13, 2010 California

I brewed my first beer last night. A one gallon recipe from Northern Brewer. Everything went great and I pitched half of a yeast packet, as instructed. As of this morning the yeast is still sitting atop the liquid in sort of a cake and the center of that cake is still in powder form. Should I be concerned?

2. tngolfer

tngolfer Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Tennessee

I would have expected it to have fallen rather quickly. I would give it a shake.

3. daysinthewake

Thanks for the response. I gave it a shake this morning which didn't do much. I'll give it better one. I think it happened because I aerated before pitching by swirling the wort aggressively which resulted in a few inches of foam on the top. The yeast landed on the foam and stayed there.

4. bbarrows

bbarrows Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2008 California

Note: yeast doesn't dissolve. It is a microorganism that gets rehydrated and suspends in wort/beer as it grows, reproduces, and ferments. It's not the first time this has been said, so I'm not picking on an individual. I'm concerned that it's embarrasing for homebrewing community to mistake this important concept.

PortLargo likes this.
  5. IPAdams

IPAdams Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 Illinois

The yeast will stay suspended in the beer until it has fermented out. After that, depending on the yeast, most of it should drop out and fall to the bottom.

6. daysinthewake

Gotcha. You're right, what I meant was that it wasn't re-hydrating. The good news is that it seems to have mostly resolved. There's just a very small bit of dry yeast still floating around.

7. BenZ

BenZ Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2004 Virginia

I always rehydrate in water before adding to wort

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.