United Craft Brews LLC has raised $132.7 million

Discussion in 'New England' started by GetCraft, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetCraft

GetCraft Initiate (65) Jan 8, 2014 Massachusetts

Anyone know what this is? Way too much money to be a brewery. Distributor? Contract facility?

"United Craft Brews LLC has raised $132.7 million via sale of shares to 17 investors, according to an SEC filing.

The filing named Marla Sabo and Chris Akelman of Fireman Capital Partners as executive officers of Waltham-based United Craft Brews.

Fireman Capital Partners, based in Waltham, is a private equity firm that invests in established companies in the consumer sector. Sabo is a partner at Fireman Capital. Previously, she was the founder of Sabo Strategic Partners, a firm providing advisory work both pre- and post- transaction in the private equity industry.

Akelman is a vice president at Fireman Capital. Previously, he was an associate in the Private Equity division of GB Merchant Partners, a $320 million investment fund.
    New York-based Stonehaven LLC received sales compensation of $500,000 for the offering."

http://boston.citybizlist.com/article/253544/united-craft-brews-raises-1327-million

2. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,060) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I don't have much information, but I do know that they were formed very recently in December 2014:
    http://www.bizapedia.com/de/UNITED-CRAFT-BREWS-LLC.html

3. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Interesting. As noted above and in the filings, this transaction involves Fireman Capital, which previously invested $35 million in two Utah craft brewers for a majority stake. Here's a description of a similar transaction. I'm totally guessing, but I'd think that "United Craft Brews" will be looking to buy up small brewers (and, frankly, it sounds like a solid business plan; there are soooo many craft brewers these days who may be interested in selling; this gives them an option to sell the business without getting sucked up by a macro brewer).

4. ctkach

ctkach Initiate (117) Oct 23, 2007 Massachusetts
    Brewery

Wow. That's way more startup capital than any new brewery or distributor would ever need. Even if you're looking to do something BIG. Gotta be an M&A type operation.

GetCraft likes this.
  5. Auror

Auror Defender (619) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Pet peeve: I hate the word "brews". I can tolerate brew as a synonym for beer, but I hate the way it sounds plural. It's also a very colloquial/casual term, so using it in an investment LLC name seems so out of place.

6. trevorpost

trevorpost Savant (910) Aug 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Sounds like you need a bit of world-class liquid in your life.

HeyHayward, a74gent and Auror like this.
  7. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (554) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Anyone heard if these guys have made an investment yet?

8. petearc279

petearc279 Initiate (0) May 21, 2005 Massachusetts

Fireman Capital teamed up with Oskar Blues to buy Perrin out of Comstock, MI last month. There was limited public financial information released, but seems plausible the investment and future acquisitions may be being funded out of this investment fund.

9. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (134) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Though of course the private equity firm will likely have no qualms selling to big beer if it provides an exit for their investors.

BrettHead likes this.
  10. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Initiate (167) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Hmmmm ..... not appealing to "sell out" to MBC and alienate your customer base, but what if you did the same thing only to an innocuous, faceless VC firm that none of your customers have heard of?? Not saying this is a brewers thinking but could be a niche Fireman sees needing filling by doing this .... from an article on MarketWatch:

"Two of the largest examples of private-equity involvement, however, can be found in the beer-saturated state of Vermont. Long Trail Brewing Co., which brewed 123,000 barrels in 2013, sold to private-equity firm Fulham & Co. in 2006 after rejecting Anheuser-Busch’s offer to buy a partial stake in the company. The largest such examples are the well-branded Pyramid Breweries in Seattle and Magic Hat Brewing Co. in Burlington, Vt., each of which was purchased by KPS Capital Partners in 2010 before being sold to Costa Rican food-and-beverage conglomerate Florida Ice and Farm Co. in 2012."

11. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (554) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Geez, PE guys were targeting VT before it was cool. I would guess they're still snooping around the area for deals.

12. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

#craftbeer - meanwhile a 30% stake in a brewery making craftbeer for 30 yrs by a brewing company that makes mostly adjunct lager = not craftbeer. Dumbs.

13. Jason

Jason Founder (8,604) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

They are probably calculating in at least 15% initially for marketing from total expenses for anyone they invest in. What is a wall if you can throw at it and hope it sticks? ;-)

14. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

Heady Topper, coming to a Costco near you

15. Auror

Auror Defender (619) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

huuvola likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.