Release United States Beverage Releases Malibu® Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (7,907) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

STAMFORD, Conn., April 4, 2017 -- United States Beverage (US Beverage) today announced the upcoming launch of Malibu® Beer, a first-of-its-kind product aiming to redefine the Summer beer landscape bringing more flavor and more fun to a growing consumer space. This refreshing golden lager is flavored with a hint of natural coconut for a light tropical note and features 5% ABV. The product is slated for a select market roll-out beginning May 1st 2017 in Miami/Fort Lauderdale (FL), San Diego (CA) & Ann-Arbor/Lansing (MI). Produced in the Caribbean, Malibu® Beer will be imported into the U.S. market by United States Beverage under exclusive licensing from the Malibu® brand.

The introduction of Malibu® Beer was based on extensive research done over the past several years that identified consumers' desire for a mainstream lighter-bodied beer with flavor. "Research confirmed that a beer that embodies the flavor and fun personality traits of the Malibu brand is an innovative concept that appeals to the US beer consumer," said Justin Fisch, VP/ General Manager at US Beverage.

"Consumers love the idea of Malibu Beer! The Malibu brand name has the credentials to appeal to consumers within the beer category. Beer's share of Malibu's Summer Drinking Occasion is almost 50%, so there is an enormous potential for Malibu to win in that space," said Jean-Baptiste Viton, Global Innovation Director for Malibu®.

Consumers can expect to see, feel and taste Malibu Beer through a mix of in-store displays, sampling, events, digital media and more. The product will be available in Miami/Fort Lauderdale (FL), San Diego (CA) & Ann Arbor and Lansing (MI). Malibu® Beer is imported from the Caribbean and will be sold in 6-pack, 330ml bottles.

For more information, please see Media Contacts below.

About Malibu®
    Malibu® is the world's biggest flavored rum brand. The United States is Malibu's largest market where the brand enjoys high awareness and a strong, consistent association with Summer. Malibu® is part of Pernod-Ricard, co-leader of the global wines and spirits industry representing 91 million cases of spirits and 25 million cases of wine, and owning 19 of the world's top 100 brands.

About United States Beverage
    United States Beverage (USB) is a premium craft and imported beer sales and marketing company located in Stamford, Connecticut. USB provides a national distribution network for a portfolio of premium brands including: Moosehead Lager & Moosehead Radler from Canada; Innis & Gunn from Scotland; Super Bock from Portugal; Sonoma Cider from Healdsburg, CA; the Grupo Damm portfolio of brands from Spain: Estrella Damm, Inedit Damm, and Daura Damm; Czechvar and Czechvar Dark from the Czech Republic; Tona Cerveza from Nicaragua; Kalik from the Bahamas, 1911 Cider from Lafayette, NY, and Empire Brewing from Cazenovia, NY. 2017 commemorates United States Beverage's 20th anniversary of representing premium craft and import brands. www.unitedstatesbeverage.com.

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,005) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Really? It took "extensive research" to determine that consumers want a lighter-bodied beer with more flavor?

- No one ever believed that "Tastes great" part of the Miller Lite argument!

And what they're actually saying, I think, is that consumers want a beer that doesn't really taste like beer because they're adding coconut and tropical fruit flavors. Dear God, please do not let tropical-coconut IPAs become the next big thing!

3. premierpro

premierpro Disciple (381) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan
    Subscriber

Just the thought of drinking this beer is killing my buzz!

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Defender (613) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Subscriber

I guess I don't get this, consumers want good beer and we have endless selections of it. Sounds like a major brand is just trying to squeeze some cash out of the beer market and play to the crowd that does not know much beyond their name or other mass produced swill. I will stick with the good rum and good beer....

5. AZBeerDude72

Subscriber

This is just being put out for women, they want to snag the ladies who hate beer but would drink their version of Zima. LOL Pass on this stuff.

6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,864) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I don't think they are targeting just women with this beer.

There are lots of men who are buying and drinking fruit flavored beers because they don't enjoy the bitterness often associated with hops. I was in one store lately where two clerks were talking to each other about Hell Or High Watermelon (a beer where the Watermelon is the dominant flavor).

The basic takeaway from their chat was that they were having trouble keeping their shelves stocked since it showed up. Now, I know several men who've been waiting for that beer to show up, and since women are in the minority among craft beer drinkers, I doubt those fruit flavored beers are selling only to women.

7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,109) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I can't imagine folks will drink this, but then again my 2nd ex wife drank wine coolers and Fireball, so people will drink anything I guess.

chipawayboy likes this.
  8. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (149) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

What in tarnation?

chipawayboy likes this.
  9. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Aspirant (243) Nov 8, 2010 Wisconsin

ISO: Malibu Beer
    FT: Not Your Fathers RB

TrojanRB and TriggerFingers like this.
  10. FJ88

FJ88 Initiate (122) Jun 11, 2015 Massachusetts

Love it. Can't wait.

11. bbtkd

bbtkd Champion (852) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota

Prairie Pirate Bomb has both!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

Subscriber

I can agree on that, there is probably a market of men that are not fans of heavy beer but would drink something like this, and thats cool. I know a lot of people who only drink hard liquor etc, so each person has their likes and dislikes.

13. AZBeerDude72

Subscriber

LOL man I remember the wine cooler craze, that was some funky stuff, to me anyway. I never understood the Fireball, it was like drinking Big Red Extract to me, but it was a hot item and still is I guess. :)

cavedave likes this.
  14. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (149) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

There's already a "Not Your Mom's" line.
    Brace yourselves. Not Your Mom's Malibu is coming.
    I can see the future.

15. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Aspirant (243) Nov 8, 2010 Wisconsin

NYM Iced Tea, strawberry rhubarb and apple pie! Seen these on the shelves for weeks yet for some reason these forums are lighting up like they were for NYF

16. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (562) Dec 12, 2014 California
    Subscriber

Doesn't sound as bad as plenty of craft beers honestly

dennis3951 likes this.
  17. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (359) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Malibu beer...you mean a beer infused with that flavored rum stuff we had to "shoulder-tap" for at the corner store, junior year of high school, so girls would hang out with us?

I am wholeheartedly going to pass on this.

I'd rather pound warm 211 Steel Reserve in a "Edward 40 Hands" challenge!

18. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Champion (813) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Don't hate on fireball!

19. rgordon

rgordon Defender (664) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

"feel and taste". At least we have Jean-Baptiste to guide us on our beverage quest. I'm an old worn out brand builder and brand warrior, but Haysoos!, this stretches the limits. Re-marketing the entire wine cooler concept- even when or if it's malt based- seems to be an inter-generational notion that forever suits novice drinkers with money. Todays Malibu Beer consumer may just be tomorrows consummate brewer, but I really doubt it. Who knows?

cavedave likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe