US - West Untappd Beer Festival: San Diego Petco Park: Oct 1-2, 2021

Discussion in 'Beer Events' started by AlexM, May 24, 2021.

1. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (503) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

This looks intriguing, especially after a long pandemic shutdown of beerfests - initial brewery list looks solid -> https://festivals.untappd.com/san-diego-beer-festival-2021/

Although Untappd doesn't exactly have a stellar track record of hosting live fests, LOL ... hopefully they can get their act together and avoid repeating their Charlotte, NC disaster ... although they are kinda off to a shaky start with the glaring typo in their official festival logo :stuck_out_tongue: (Fesitval vs Festival - looks like they are in the process of fixing it on their website, social, etc.)

Session Dates & Times:
    Friday October 1, 2021 5:30 – 10:00 PM
    Saturday October 2, 2021 11:00 – 3:30 PM
    Saturday October 2, 2021 5:30 – 10:00 PM

VIP Tickets = $150
    General Admission = $65

Easy train ride down from LA/OC and back ... might be worth the effort - but again, just hoping it's not a repeat sh*tshow :slight_smile:

Todd likes this.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (6,492) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Since then, Next Glass has acquired BeerAdvocate (known for our beer fests) and we have an awesome events team.

And word on the street is that Respect Beer Society members get early access + a discount this Wednesday. I'll be posting more on that soon.

See you in San Diego!

DefenCorps and AlexM like this.
  3. AlexM

Trader

Good to know the BA events folks will be in charge - that definitely is a game changer. Untappd Supporters received an email for early access and discount ... nice touch there. Look forward to attending!

Todd likes this.
  4. riko

riko Initiate (116) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Pretty ambitious for a first-time festival to have four sessions over three days.

GimmeAGuinness likes this.
  5. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,782) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Not a first time festival, they had it in NC a couple years ago. Still 4 over 3 is ambitious, but the BA team knows how to handle a damn good fest

GimmeAGuinness likes this.
  6. riko

riko Initiate (116) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I have heard that one described as a "disaster" and "sh*tshow."

FrogOut69 likes this.
  7. AlexM

Trader

Their first festival is not a good benchmark, LOL ... that said, the events department is under new management so this should improve dramatically ... just hope they don't oversell it, that is what typically leads to lousy events.

8. Todd

It'll be 3,250 tickets per session. For reference, that's 750 tickets less per session than our Extreme Beer Fest: Boston in 2019.

AlexM likes this.
  9. AlexM

Trader

Fantastic - good to know, I look forward to attending the Saturday afternoon session!

10. Redondo_Terp

Redondo_Terp Initiate (16) Jan 19, 2018 California

What was the ticket count for the EBF in LA a few years back? I was at the evening session which never once felt too crowded.

11. Todd

It'd be unfair to compare the 13th floor of the California Market Center to Petco Park, but Extreme Beer Fest: Los Angeles was 1,500 less tickets per session.

Redondo_Terp and Dicers like this.
  12. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Defender (602) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

San Diego is by far my favorite city of all I've been to. Been to four games at Petco and I love the place. I'm super excited for this!

ChicagoJ and Dicers like this.
  13. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,782) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Thankfully as @Todd said since then NextGlass has gotten the reinforcements of BA's event staff. We're pretty good at running fests :wink:

14. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (89) Mar 6, 2014 California

Though was fun however, surprised it's not re-occurred in L.A.. Wonder if this item will be groupon once more.

15. Drunken_Master

Another question: Todd, why choose this prior to SDBW?

16. Todd

It was scheduled to happen last year, but the pandemic stopped that. And we'll never use Goldstar/Groupon again.

AlexM likes this.
  17. Todd

I can't speak to SDBW, and their website is currently broken, but why choose? One is a beer fest and the other is a 10-day celebration with scores of events occurring across the city. They're also over a month apart from each other.

18. Drunken_Master

I see. Understood.

19. Drunken_Master

Technically it occurs during the latter half of the first week of November. it only stands out to me as I consider it a birthday week of festivities for my brother. As for choosing, don't get me wrong, the event held in L.A though possibly paled in comparison to the main fests held, was great for someone that's never attended such fest out of CA though I'm certain the breweries attending will hopefully get much better. thanks for the prompt reply.

20. Todd

Would anyone be down for doing and old-school BeerAdvocate Gathering while we're all in town?

Beersnake1 and Moosbigfarm like this.
  21. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (693) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

What are the chances you can convince the Padres organization to broadcast the game on the giant TV? =P

It's not that I don't like people and wish to converse while drinking beer.....but I don't like people and would rather drink my beer while watching the game.

Brent212, SP23, BWeezy and 1 other person like this.
  22. suadps22

suadps22 Initiate (34) Jul 18, 2017 Massachusetts

I will be there for the Friday night session. Can't wait.

Todd likes this.
  23. chi_tino

chi_tino Initiate (5) Jan 31, 2021 Florida

I've just made my travel plans to fly in from St. Pete, FL. I hope it's a good time!

Todd likes this.
  24. HoppyDude421

HoppyDude421 Initiate (65) May 16, 2012 California

Most likely, depending on logistics. We're flying in Fri morning for the Fri eve session, then plan on brewery hopping Sat & Sun.

Todd likes this.
  25. buggdog

buggdog Initiate (16) May 3, 2019 Connecticut

In for Friday night session. Fest happens to coincide with our 20th wedding anniversary trip to SD!

rbrefbeerman and Todd like this.
  26. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,936) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Bottleshare?

rbrefbeerman and Moosbigfarm like this.
  27. Todd

I was thinking a casual gathering that focuses on giving local businesses some love, like we used to do all the time. I've got a place or two in mind.

28. Moosbigfarm

Moosbigfarm Initiate (105) Jan 13, 2021 Washington
    Society

When is there going to be a post about live music and what type of food will be present? I would like to know more about both for particular sessions if there is going to be something special at each session.

bret27 likes this.
  29. Todd

I'll see if I can get an update for the thread.

AlexM and SP23 like this.
  30. Todd

I've been informed that the music schedule and food offerings will be announced at the end of this month. Both should be the same for all sessions.

AlexM likes this.
  31. Moosbigfarm

Society

When would the gathering be? Would hate to miss an old school Beer Advocate gathering When in town and two "beer events" in one weekend would be better than just one.

32. Todd

Good question. I was thinking a couple of hours before the first session on Friday.

33. AlexM

Trader

Excellent list of 45 breweries so far (expecting over 70). Love the access to out of area brews. Really looking forward to: Around The Horn, Burial, DankHouse and Modestman.

34. Moosbigfarm

Society

Is there a discount code for this fest with the R.B.S. membership? I never saw a post with a code.

35. Todd

I posted and emailed it at the end of May, but it expired. It was valid for pre-sales.

36. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (3,073) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

37. Todd

Between us, I heard that the beer list for this box is currently being finalized and that it should go on sale within the next two weeks or so.

teromous likes this.
  38. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (168) Aug 30, 2007 California

Untapped at Petco still a go?

39. Todd

40. aaronjobes

aaronjobes Aspirant (201) Feb 8, 2018 California
    Society

Any chance of a discount code for the Half Time Beverage shipment for this festival?