US - West Untappd Beer Festival: San Diego Petco Park: Oct 1-2, 2021

Discussion in 'Beer Events' started by AlexM, May 24, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,506) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Yeah. Standby...and keep an eye open for an update in the Society forum and via email.

aaronjobes likes this.
  2. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (505) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

@Todd any insight if Untappd will be releasing a taplist of beers being poured? Thanks!

3. Todd

Yes. The beer list will be posted once it's been finalized.

Beersnake1 and AlexM like this.
  4. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,789) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Any updates on this? Would be very interested!

5. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Any options for designated driver tickets?

6. Todd

Not yet, but I’ll be working on it soon.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  7. Todd

From the FAQ: “Designated Driver tickets will be available at the door the day of the festival. Advance sales of the Designated Driver ticket are not available. Designated Driver ticket holders are not permitted to consume alcohol.”

Beersnake1 likes this.
  8. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Sounds great!

9. AlexM

Trader

10. Todd

11. Todd

I won't be getting into town until just before Session One on Friday, but I'd be down for meeting up in-between sessions on Saturday for a beer or two. No idea where I'll be hitting Friday or Saturday night yet.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  12. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,782) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

I look forward to drinking a beer with you

Beersnake1 and Todd like this.
  13. Christine_Mik

Christine_Mik Initiate (5) May 2, 2021

SO excited for this!! Looking forward to many, many beers.

Todd likes this.
  14. AlexM

Trader

15. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (457) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Anyone who loves lager, go say hi to my friends at Art History Brewing. Highly recommend drinking all their lager.

Todd and Christine_Mik like this.
  16. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,713) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

A lot of criticism of this fest is popping up on social media. Any official response from BA or Next Glass?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrmattosgood likes this.
  17. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (168) Aug 30, 2007 California

So there are breweries pouring there that they feel have not addressed sexual abuse, harassment, et al.; properly and would like said breweries to be removed?

18. thebeers

Society Trader

Yes, with the caveat that I’m trying to piece different narratives together from social media, my understanding is that people are especially frustrated and angry that breweries accused of sexual harassment and abuse are participating in the fest.

I may be getting this wrong, but it also appears that some of the festival’s anti-harassment policies or procedures were only announced in recent days.

Separately, I believe some people approached Untappd about putting links to breweries’ anti-harassment policies on the app, and that the company seemed disinterested in that undertaking.

19. Moosbigfarm

Moosbigfarm Initiate (106) Jan 13, 2021 Washington
    Society

Excited for today's event! See you all there. Is there a gathering that's going to happen before the event as previously mentioned?

Todd likes this.
  20. Todd

Yes. I reached out to the team this morning for more info. Here's what they shared:

###

Right now we are focused on providing a safe environment for this event. Next Glass festivals are governed by a code of conduct that is designed to provide a safe environment for all participants. As part of that code, all participating breweries, vendors, sponsors, and attendees are required to abide by the code, which includes provisions for removal and other actions as deemed necessary by the security team.

We did have a code of conduct posted on our festival website which included anti-harassment language. A few months ago, on this forum, we committed to further strengthening our code and procedures, including a mechanism for reporting violations. Once we completed the vetting process we decided to work with #NotMe and updated our code to include this new process.

As part of this new process, we have posted throughout the venue instructions on how to report a complaint via #NotMe and have robust security procedures in place as we do at all of our events.

After sharing our code with stakeholders we received feedback and have made adjustments and will continue to evaluate.

###

21. Todd

I won't be getting to the fest until just before doors, but I'll be at all three sessions and hope to squeeze in some beers before and after the other sessions. I'll be sure to post updates with any firm plans here and on Discord.

22. AlexM

Trader

Here's hoping that the breweries brought enough kegs / cans / bottles for each session so they don't run out in the first hour or so ... hate when that sh*t happens at festivals!

23. AlexM

Trader

@Xul you going to this? Or you only stick to MT festivals? :stuck_out_tongue::slight_smile:

24. Xul

Xul Champion (843) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I'm up in the Bay Area right now so not going to make it. Looking forward to hearing how it goes, hope everyone has fun!

25. AlexM

Trader

just saw the Emeryville check in … CHEERS!

26. Todd

Just sat down at Neighborhood.

27. Todd

Glad I swung by Neighborhood...

[​IMG]

...paired it with a Bling Pig (not pictured).

[​IMG]

...ended with an Underberg.

And wound up running into @shighet14 too!

FBarber, Beersnake1 and Britt like this.
  28. Todd

I’ve attended countless beer fests around the world since the 90s, and personally hosted over 75 beer festivals ranging from 1,200 to 15,000 attendees, but this past weekend I was at the Untappd Beer Festival in San Diego as more of an attendee and to show support for my coworkers.

Awesome time! Not only did things run smoothly, but I thoroughly enjoyed some damn good beers and discussions with great people at a picturesque venue with perfect weather and comfortable numbers. It was great to meetup with coworkers, brewers, a bunch of BAs, and friends that I haven't seen in two years too.

Thanks to everyone who came out to the support the fest! Stay tuned for more...

29. thebeers

Society Trader

Internal communications from Untappd claiming that the criticism of this fest was unwarranted and in bad faith.

[​IMG]

30. thebeers

Society Trader

@Todd, is BA able to add a field to breweries’ pages linking to their Codes of Conduct?

31. Todd

We already provide a field to link to brewery websites. Technically, we could add another field, unfortunately, it’s not feasible to create and maintain one (with the same root domain) for tens of thousands of locations. For those breweries that create and post their code of conduct on their own website, it should be easily found by their staff, customers, and clients by following the website link.

32. thebeers

Society Trader

To be clear, I wasn’t suggesting you guys to track down the Codes of Conduct — just to have a field where breweries and BA members can upload them, like a photo of the brewery and other important info.

I’ll admit I don’t understand the technical backend of something like that. If it’s too onerous, are their other ways can the site make it easy for beer advocates to learn which breweries have clear policies against sexual and racial harassment and which don’t?

BA conveniently aggregates a lot of content for users that they could otherwise find by going and looking it up themselves on a brewery’s website or via Google. IMO, this seems like important info to figure out how to better share with people.

33. Todd

I understood your request. It would be a community-sourced field, like everything else, but we'd still need to create, approve, and maintain/update the field as needed. And, speaking of approvals, who's going to decide if the code of conduct for a brewery is sufficient enough to be displayed on BA? Mods? Me? Someone else? What are the criteria that need to be met? If it's 3rd party criteria, what if we don't think it's sufficient enough? Do we need to create additional criteria? What's the disapproval process? What would a BA approval mean? What are the legal implications? What if a brewery doesn't want their code of conduct linked on BA? That's a new feature and rules for whoever is approving. More coding. I could go on...
    It's really up to the brewery to create, maintain, and prominently display their own code of conduct on their own website, which people should be able to find via the website link that we already make available.

ChicagoJ and latifundija like this.
  34. thebeers

Society Trader

Thanks for the response. I totally agree it’s up to breweries themselves to post their own Codes of Conduct prominently themselves. But as a leader in beer geek community, BA can can help make certain behaviors a more standard part of industry culture and introduce some accountability. As a BA fan, I encourage you to think about how you can do that and communicate what you’re doing to your supporters. If helping to normalize and publicize Codes of Conduct isn’t your thing, maybe it’s something else. :beers: