Untapped Festival Houston

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by rainerschuhsler, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Disciple (379) May 17, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]

This looks very promising. It'll happen on the last day of Houston Beer Week. I'm excited to finally see The Walkmen.

More info can be found here: http://untapped-festival.com/hou/

UT-Alex, champ103 and lndsy like this.
  2. jzimmermann11

jzimmermann11 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Texas

Definitely excited about this. Really glad it fell on a bye week for A&M football so I can actually go:sunglasses:

3. naadams

naadams Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Texas

Will this sell out quickly? Band lineup looks really interesting, this is gonna be a great event.

4. rainerschuhsler

Subscriber Beer Trader

If it's any indication, Untapped Festival Dallas is less than two weeks away and tickets are still on sale.

5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Looks like it may be a replacement for The Draft/Monsters of Beer

6. rainerschuhsler

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yep.
    http://houstonbeerweek.com/big-announcements-for-2013/

7. ChrisYarborough

ChrisYarborough Initiate (176) Oct 16, 2012 Texas

Yea but this is Houston we are talking about..Last time I was in Dallas and hit up a few different Specs I saw Funk Metal/OG Black Metal/RU-55, Firestone Walker DJ/PALE 31/Reserve Porter just sitting on shelves . In Houston this stuff would be gone in a day.

I had a freind that went to the last Dallas Untapped event.lines were pretty long for KBS and a few other rare stuff. I cant imagine the lines for rare stuff at the Houston Untapped event..

peachsheep likes this.
  8. rainerschuhsler

Subscriber Beer Trader

I know, but it's hard to predict what will really happen, especially since this event hasn't happened in Houston before. If anything, I would argue that the music lineup for this one will draw more people than the lineup in Dallas, so that's something else to consider.

9. Phil_S

Phil_S Initiate (164) Feb 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Wonder if the VIP will be sold out before the beer list is even posted...

I'll keep my eye on this for sure. Wild Moccasins are the bee's knees.

tjmodica and djd07 like this.
  10. air

air Aspirant (228) Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Hasn't happened before as far as I know. Just keep a watchful eye over their social media.

11. DanzBorin

If you will spend $60+ and wait in a huge line for KBS, you are welcome to it... lol

12. soultrain19

soultrain19 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2008 Texas

Yes but this is Houston. Think it's time to hoard some tickets!!

13. Ford

Ford Defender (685) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Love the fact it is in November.

How much are tickets going to be?.. duh Bryan... how about following the link.. so 35 bucks for beer and concert... not bad.

Jvrdz24 likes this.
  14. Xadoor

Xadoor Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2002 Texas

Wow, complaining about the length of the beer lines for a festival that hasn't even occurred yet. Only in the BA forums.

15. DanzBorin

I pretrade my beer lines!

I should rent myself out as a line mule... o_O

16. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (161) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

I may volunteer for this again ("again", if we're counting last year's Draft). Or just drink all day. Undecided.

17. jzimmermann11

I was torn, but decided to register to volunteer to pour. We'll see if I get picked I suppose.

18. DanzBorin

I'm with you... on one hand I would love to just go... on the other, I know they need help and it makes my day free. If it's half day shifts I might sign up again.

Wonder if they will do the bottle share thing again too...

Beernerds likes this.
  19. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Meyvn (1,256) Oct 7, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I just hope there's setup and tear down volunteer opportunities. It was great to do my part before and after and still be able to enjoy the festival. Had a great time, and helped out a bunch.

20. DanzBorin

I could do that as well... I can tears some shit down! lol

Sadly we actually did tear down too because so many tear down people were MIA.

21. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

Okay I'm going on the record and saying "not me." I worked my ass off both on set up and tear down. At tear down, there were maybe three of us who could claim that, of maybe 15 set uppers.

22. Ford

Ford Defender (685) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I wonder how many of the setupper/teardowners were barely walkers at the end of the festival?

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  23. Phil_S

Phil_S Initiate (164) Feb 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

What are the benefits of volunteering? Besides the feeling you get for being a good person...

24. DanzBorin

Yeah, there were a few left. Happy to hear you didn't abandon ship.

25. Beernerds

Let's not assume that this fest will be run like last year's. Different people are running it, so who knows where the similarities and differences will land.

Check out the volunteer signup form: no option for manual labor as far as I can tell. The options are servers, "event entry", "on-site marketing", and "poster distribution".

26. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

Yeah, I emailed them but have received no response. Which blows. I suppose I'll apply for a server position and finally get TABC certified...

27. air

Try contacting them on twitter, they are pretty fast about responding there.

nathanmiller likes this.
  28. jzimmermann11

Easiest thing you'll ever do. Just breeze through the module things as quickly as possible.

29. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

Okay how/where? My google fu is not working today.

30. jzimmermann11

I did mine here and it was seriously a joke. At the bottom of this page are all of the options for doing it online. Some may be cheaper than others, I just did the first one that came up in Google.

nathanmiller likes this.
  31. Beernerds

Pretty sure this is the one I did last year.

nathanmiller likes this.
  32. air

The cheapest ones I'd seen are all about $11.99, pretty much just like taking defensive driving online. You can knock this out in a couple hours.

33. DanzBorin

The videos are wonderfully awful!

34. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Oh gawd, TABC certification. That's only slightly better than defensive driving.

35. HopAG

HopAG Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

36. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

This guy?
    [​IMG]

DanzBorin, air and HopAG like this.
  37. HopAG

HopAG Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

LOL you see the listing on the beers they are offering?

38. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

Yeah I saw it. I just figured it was a good time for a picture of a walking Firestorm.

HopAG likes this.
  39. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

So... apparently presale, which saves a bit of green, ends Friday. Has anyone heard back about volunteering?

Also, brief aside: presale is a dumb concept. This isn't presale at all. It's straight up sale. It's "early sale" maybe. But if you participate in this "presale," you exchange money for goods. That's called sale. There's nothing pre about it.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  40. DanzBorin

I'll pass on the presale.

Their website had way too little info to want to volunteer at this time.

After being yelled at last year I know some folks were bent out of shape about volunteering at the Draft. There was little to no appreciation shown for the volunteers that worked hard and then were chastised for not helping tear down. Nobody knew that most of the tear down committee (except Sir Miller) had flaked and they needed help.

nathanmiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.