Untied Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by njcraftfan, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (124) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

New brewery in New Providence, opening tomorrow 1/26/2019. About 5mins away from Twin Elephant in Chatham.

Address:
    140 Spring Street, Unit C
    New Providence, NJ 07974

Hours:
    Thurs: 4-10
    Fri: 12-11
    Sat: 12-11
    Sun: 12-6

www.untiedbrewing.com

Instagram:
    @untiedbrewingcompany

hopsputin, dennis3951 and cp45 like this.
  2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Beat me to the punch!!!! I'm going to try and make it. Do you think there will be a line before 11:30?

3. njcraftfan

Not sure - I only stumbled upon the opening announcement, so not sure if it’s even widely known or highly anticipated. I’m guessing it will be pretty busy though. I may try Sunday instead. Seems like a big space and way more brew capacity than twin elephant.

I don’t have particularly high hopes quality wise, especially for opening weekend - but hoping it’s good and they do well.

4. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (120) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

The website link is not to the brewery FYI.

5. njcraftfan

Appears to be more of a business venture for the husband and wife owners who hired a brewer with some experience.

i_still_like_beer likes this.
  6. njcraftfan

Mrstiffington likes this.
  7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Looks like they got their merch together. Not sure why they would open up so close to a brewery like Yale Terrace. They are going to have a hard time competing with YT's special Brewing techniques

MacMalt, jmerizio, hopsputin and 4 others like this.
  8. dennis3951

They should not be held to the Yale Terrace standard. If they are as good as Twin Elephant they should be fine. In any case the area is becoming a craft beer hop spot. A brewery called Bull and Bear is now planned in Summit,

TheGent and Mrstiffington like this.
  9. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (725) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Not sure I will get over there this weekend but would like to check the place out. Hopefully the beers are a little more varied in coming weeks than their opening weekend menu.

CORE BEERS
    Updated on Jan 25, 4:34 PM EST

NAME STYLE ABV IBU
    Kolsch ***Available 1/25*** Kölsch 4% abv
    Refreshing, light-bodied German style Golden Ale with a subtle maltiness and just enough bitterness for balance

Hoppy Kolsch Kölsch 4% abv
    Refreshing, light-bodied German style Golden Ale with a subtle maltiness and just enough bitterness for balance. Dry hopped with German Tettnang and American Cashmere hops.

Mayor's Stout Stout - Irish Dry 3.2% abv
    An Irish-style dark ale with light body and a roasted malt accent, highlighted by notes of chocolate, almonds, and toffee

Coffee Stout Stout - Coffee 3.2% abv
    An Irish-style dark ale with light body and a roasted malt accent aged on coffee beans, highlighted by notes of chocolate, almonds, and toffee

English Brown Ale Brown Ale - English 4.5% abv
    Traditional English Brown Ale

Pioneer Ale Extra Special / Strong Bitter 4.8% abv
    A perfectly balanced, easy-drinking Amber ale with a graham-cracker and nut accent from the Maris Otter malt, in harmony with slightly floral English hop varieties

hopsputin and dennis3951 like this.
  10. dennis3951

On their Facebook page there is a photo of a menu with 10 beers on it. It seems they put a lot more info on Facebook than on their web site.

KingforaDay likes this.
  11. njcraftfan

seems it was open last night, decent number of untapped check-ins...in addition to above, there were at least 2 IPAs - a west coast and east coast.

Certainly seems like an ambitious operation based on the size of the brewhouse and fermenters (I don't see a capacity noted anywhere, but looks much larger than Twin Elephant's set up), and they have 24 taps.

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,089) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

From the FAQ on their (annoying) website:

13. dennis3951

14. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (214) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

been following these guys for a while since they're walking distance from me.Their grand opening was really hush hush, when i first saw hours posts i thought it was build up for a Feb/March opening but nope pretty low key announcement. You may get some people who are either coming back from Twin Elephant or heading there, but i doubt it'll be crazy.

I am happy that they are bucking the "we like to home brew, let's open a brewery and take our 5 gallon recipes and convert them to 10bbls" trend and hired a brewer with 10+ years of experience, guy comes from Iron Hill.

dennis3951 and Mrstiffington like this.
  15. dennis3951

I’m there now not crowed

16. dennis3951

OK The brewery is a nice place but a bit loud. I almost never order a sampler flight but did today since I did not feel like standing on line twice. There are over 15 beers for sale 2 of which are cast ales. My flight included a Kolsch, an East Coast IPA, A West Coast IPA and a Cast Ale. Did not care much for the Kolsch. It was not flawed in any way, just not much good. The 2 IPAs were very good and the Cast Ale an ESB was even better. No Line now think I will have another. This place is pricey $8.00 a pint..

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,089) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:astonished: So much for "cutting out the middlemen" (retailer & wholesaler) and eliminating the expense of bottling/canning lines and not paying for wasteful packaging. . .and sharing the savings with their customers.

#17 jesskidden, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    SammyJaxxxx, hopsputin and dennis3951 like this.
  18. bryantc3

Trader

oof $8 a pint? kinda steep, especially when their core beers are all under 5%

dennis3951 likes this.
  19. dennis3951

I guess that is what happens when you haven't home brewed and have to hire an experienced brewer. (see post # 14.)

20. Sanchepa

Sanchepa Initiate (31) Jan 18, 2017 New Jersey

Stopped by about 30 minutes ago and they were very busy. I waited in line for about 5 minutes, but it didn't seem like things we're moving quickly. I left and will try it another day.

It was a pretty nice space, and as the comments above noted, there appears to be plenty of room to grow if there is demand.

21. njcraftfan

Wow, $8 a pint is ballsy for a new unproven spot, let alone established, in demand spot... what's a pint at Other Half?? But as I mentioned, this definitely seems to be an investment play. Glad to hear the beers are good though.

hopsputin likes this.
  22. bryantc3

Trader

Other Half typically charges $7-9 for 12oz pours pending ABV.

they did home brew.

23. jake92691

jake92691 Initiate (71) Nov 25, 2014 New Jersey

Here are my quick thoughts since I only stopped in briefly after dinner. Kölsch was solid but pretty sweet for my taste, might have opted for the hoppy Kölsch but the bartender didn’t know what hops were in it. Then had 4 oz pours of the west coast and black ipas. West coast was just ok. Black ipa was nice (my favorite style) but could be more aggressive hop wise. It tasted like a bitter porter so along the lines of a cascadian dark but my preference is to have a lot of bitterness.

24. dennis3951

sorry this gave me the impression that they did not.

25. njcraftfan

I didn't think they did either - the "meet the team" part of their website links to the owners Linked in accounts noting their day job experience only, so it wasn't clear.

26. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (64) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Heard their flights are $16 (4 beers - 4 ounces each).

That's gonna be a no from me dog.

27. njcraftfan

wow... I guess it at least makes the $8 pint seem like a bargain in comparison...

28. dennis3951

not 100% true about 1/2 of the brews are $3.00 a 4 OZ pour the others are $4.00 a 4 Oz pour. Both more that this BA will pay.

hopsputin likes this.
  29. Mrstiffington

Trader

Man I pay $3-4 for tasters at Kane for the bigger beers but I’m not paying $16 a flight at a place I know nothing about. Was going to stop by next Friday with the wife but now I think no.

30. bryantc3

Trader

my bad. I meant that they weren't the typical homebrewers that went pro, instead they're relying on an experienced pro brewer to brew the beer.

However, based on instagram they home brewed - perhaps not as serious as other, but at least dabbled.

I'm super bummed to hear about the pricing. $3 for a 4oz pour of 4-5% beers seems way too high, $1/oz is also insane for non-BA beers. I won't be checking this place out any time soon.

Mrstiffington and dennis3951 like this.
  31. dennis3951

Untied did not even open yesterday, sewer line problem.

32. jmerizio

jmerizio Initiate (115) Apr 17, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Stopped in Saturday early evening...Place was crowded and pretty loud. Waited about five minutes in line

I had the Pioneer Ale on nitro and the East Coast IPA. Both were ok but I would not seek them out.

As mentioned above the price for a pint seemed high and much preferred my visit to Twin Elephant on Sunday.

Will probably check out Untied again in a few weeks/months as it is close by to me.

33. i_still_like_beer

i_still_like_beer Initiate (44) Nov 21, 2018 New Jersey

what's better, turning your hobby of home brewing with your friends into a business and putting out an absolutely ass product (YTB) or hiring an actual brewer and have this be 100% a business venture for yourself and charging $8/pint

34. Mrstiffington

Trader

Does it have to be either/or?

KingforaDay likes this.
  35. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (164) Oct 23, 2015 New York

The pricing for a flight needs to change. Twin Elephant's $10.50 for five pours should be their max price point for now.

36. njcraftfan

agreed. Where they seem to miss the mark is discounting the bundle of tasters. TEB is $3.50 per individual taster (which Untied is in line with), but $10.50 for the flight of 5.

37. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,354) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

15+ beers upon opening seems extremely ambitious. I have never brewed on that large of a scale before, but it doesn't seem possible to be able to hone in that many recipes on a brand new brewing system, even if the brewer has experience. I'd rather new places offer less variety and better beer, but that's just me.

As others have said, the pricing seems out of whack. I will stop by and give the place a shot before judging them but at those prices I just can't make it a regular stop, even if the beer is amazing.

38. bryantc3

Trader

Doesn't have to be either or.

Bonesaw hired a pro and built a whole new facility. Sure some of their Higher ABV may be $6-7 for 10-13oz pours, but most are $6-7 for a pint.

39. dennis3951

I would think it's not just you most BAs feel that way. I do.

hopsputin, eloGoat, RobHB and 3 others like this.
  40. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,252) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Gonna try and stop over on Saturday. The cask ale has my interest peaked, however at $8/pint for a place that opened 2? weeks ago that's way steep. I mean, they understand the area they're in and that people will probably pay that. I'll reserve actual judgement for once I've tried, but that pricing sours things a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.