Untied Brewing Company (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by bryantc3, Jan 2, 2020.

1. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (214) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/untiedbrewingco/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/UntiedBrewing
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/UNTIEDBREWINGCOMPANY/
    BA: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/55246/

New Providence, NJ 07974

(Parking lot is the last left before the dead end/train tracks - entrance is in back, parking can be sort of tight)

Mass Transit: Murray Hill Train Station (Gladstone Line, can connect at Hoboken, Newark Broad, Summit, Secaucus) is roughly a .5 mile walk
    Parking: Free parking lot - limited spaces. New Providence doesn't allow street parking between 2am-5am so be considerate of "coming back for your car". Not 100% sure if Spring st. is a no parking street or not.

Hours
    Wednesday: 4-10
    Thursday: 4-10
    Friday: 12-11
    Saturday: 12-11
    Sunday 12-8

Beer
    "Beers" page shows what's available on tap and to go.
    Cans: They keep a well stocked cooler for various cans for easy pick up. Can releases are generally announced on Instagram via posts and/or stories. Cans do not generate lines and are easy to get (so far).
    Growlers: Will fill growlers in 32 and 64oz format for selected beers - will fill non-Untied Brewing growlers with proper alcohol labeling.
    Other: They usually have water freely available and at times non-alcoholic soda on tap.
    Kegs: availability varies, contact them ahead of time to confirm.

Food
    Like all NJ breweries - they do not serve food. They at times do have snacks (bag of chips, etc.) that can be purchased. They do allow outside food.

Dogs: NOPE, unless it's a service animal.
    Kids: Allowed as long as they are well-behaved and monitored.
    Other: They have a couple of TVs and Cornhole.
    Other FAQs: https://www.untiedbrewingco.com/faq

Nearby breweries/bars: Twin Elephant, Yale Terrace Brewing, Trap Rock (brew pub), Delicious Heights, Stirling Hotel, River Grille (right by Twin Elephant)

Note that until fairly recently - New Providence was a dry town. These are the places that serve alcohol in town - but note that they aren't really "bars" - more of restaurants that have liquor - this is due to the percentage of sales that must be food related in town. The following places are all within 1-1.5 miles:
    Prestige Diner - generally has Kane, Carton, Magnify on tap
    Harlee’s Tap and Grille - new place; Head High should be on tap
    Providence Bar and Kitchen - seems to be more favorable for wine than beer
    Moe's Bistro and Bar - inside the best western hotel

Downtown Summit is about 15 minutes away via car and there you will find just a bunch of places. Notable for beer would be The Office right across from Summit train station and Hat Tavern

Nearby food: As mentioned New Providence was dry - so most places are going to be completely fine with BYOB if they don't otherwise serve alcohol. For this list - I am sticking to New Providence.
    Within about a half mile there is:
    Tables for 2 - Panini place; closes at 3pm
    Szechuan Delight
    Coppola Restaurant and Pizza

Within 1-1.5 miles:
    Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, McDonalds, Jersey Mike's Chipotle, Smashburger, Avenue Deli - closes at 5 on weekdays, 4 on Saturday, 2 on Sundays, Bellariva Trattoria & Pizzeria, Bacci Brick Oven Pizza,Old Glory Restaurant, Paolo's Kitchen, Fan Bistro, Latin America Deli, Jose's Mexican Cantina,

2. bryantc3

Trader

Their 1 year anniversary is in January. They're making some good beer. Not quite Conclave, Kane, Troon levels of Hazy IPAs but solid ones and their taplist is generally 20+ beers ranging in styles.

A quick note as I wasn't able to edit in time: their price structure is annoying. They have 3 sets of prices and no flight = $10 or $12, it varies based on the pricing of their 4oz pours.

dennis3951 and Mrstiffington like this.
  3. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (120) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I posted right at the end of ‘19 so I’ll kind of repeat here that I went over Christmas week for the first time and my flight was very good. Then I bought two different IPA four packs home and my wife and I thought they were outstanding NEIPAs.

bryantc3 and dennis3951 like this.
  4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

They have come a long way since they opened. IMHO their heavy duty Porters and Stouts are as good as anyones.

5. bryantc3

Trader

I thought their one "pastry stout" was a boozy mess, but their normal adjunct-ed stouts and porters are quite good.

I thorough enjoy stopping by there real quick and grabbing a 4pk from their selection of usually 4-8 beers. Even if they are $16-18

Mrstiffington likes this.
  6. dennis3951

I was speaking of their non-adjunct stouts and porters. Looking forward to their BBA RIS later this month.

7. bryantc3

Trader

ah okay. I thought "morning meeting" was fairly good, while the version with coffee and vanilla was much better. Picked up their 5.5% hazy IPA for New Years Eve - "Ready for the Challenge" and it was solid, hope they brew it in the spring/summer as it would be a great beer to drink at the beach or something.

8. bryantc3

Trader

New Rays of Haze on draft/cans. 8.3% NEIPA with African Queen, Motueka, Amarillo, and Ekuanot hops. This batch has some adjustments from previous batches. I feel like I have had this before, but may not have checked it in. Will probably grab a 4pk after work today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B63KjJspXA2/

9. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,274) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I echo that Untied has really improved and I wasn't complimentary at first. The Baltic Porter is worth seeking out. I owe another visit soon.

10. bryantc3

Trader

I'm hoping they put some of the darker beers in cans/bottles.

Swung by and picked up the above mentioned Rays of Haze and drinking one now. It's quite good, I'd say probably the best hazy IPA I've had by them.

Im not one to be able to pinpoint every little minute flavor details of a beer, but it's very enjoyable, fruity, good body and a nice mouthfeel. It is slightly "hot" with - I once read it as "diesel fuel burn" when describing some Other Half beers - it's here but doesn't take away from the beer, if anything kinda adds to it - let's you know it's a beer.

MacMalt and Mrstiffington like this.
  11. Mrstiffington

Trader

I don’t mind a little hop burn or whatever it is either. I kind enjoy it.

bryantc3 likes this.
  12. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (124) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

they are definitely honing their skills in the haze game... even shortly after opening their styles were at least on point for a brand new place... glad to hear the rays is good, may need to swing by this weekend. now they just need to work on the music game and corporate office party feel....LOL.

bryantc3 and Mrstiffington like this.
  13. bryantc3

Trader

Yeah, they gotta spruce up the vibe a little bit. I like that I can grab cans easily to go - but not a huge fan of hanging out having some pours there.

14. Mrstiffington

Trader

It is pretty cavernous. But I did sit comfortably on a couch and read my book while I had a flight. But they could do more with the space.

15. dennis3951

I was there yesterday afternoon had Morning Meeting an Imperial Porter nice brew. I noticed asap that they changed the pricing on the high ABV brews. They used to be $8.00 for a 16OZ pour. Now they are $7.00 for a 10 OZ pour.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  16. bryantc3

Trader

yikes. i know at the beginning one of my gripes were the $8 a pint, but $7 for 10oz..that's a lot especially when Twin Elephant is a smaller scale not too far away charging a lot less than that for a full pint.

Incoming $20 750ml anniversary bottles I'm guessing...

17. bryantc3

Trader

On the topic of bottles...

May swing by after work Friday real quick for this, had it on tap and it was quite good - no mention of price.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B7G6imlJ9KW/

18. njcraftfan

this ones not for me (don't really drink/enjoy high abv, heavily adjuncted stouts... usually a flight sample is more than enough in this style for me)… but response on IG says $17

bryantc3 likes this.
  19. dennis3951

Peanut Butter Beers are a no go for me. Won't be dropping by this week.

20. bryantc3

Trader

Their anniversary release for January 25th looks interesting. BA RIS (2 variants), BA belgian quad (4 variants), then 2 NEIPA cans

The $17 for a 14% 750ml isn't too bad (that kinda hurt to type). Sort of confirms my earlier hunch that the 750ml Anniversary beers will be in the $20 being that they're BA.

schteve likes this.
  21. bryantc3

Trader

Parking info update; and you can park on the street.
    [​IMG]

22. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,274) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I tried the Dusk (Honey and Cherries) yesterday and it is quite good. I also had Rays of Haze for the first time since around April and it's significantly improved. I'm a little concerned about the freshness of the cans. I bought a bottle of the peanut butter milk stout, which I'll review on NBS sometime soon.

23. Mrstiffington

Trader

I wish they would date their cans. It’s annoying to have to look at Instagram to see when they were released.

MacMalt likes this.
  24. bryantc3

Trader

yea it definitely seems like their can supply is a bit higher than their demand, so I really wish they would date.

With that said when I stopped by to pick up 2 bottles of the stout, I grabbed another 4pk of raze of haze and IMO it's a bit better than last weekend when it was canned. Definitely my favorite hoppy beer from them so far.

25. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (240) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

going to check these guys out again next weekend. Was there a long time ago but the review now look significently more possitive

have their flight prices came back down to normal or still high?

MacMalt likes this.
  26. bryantc3

Trader

next weekend as the 18th or the 25th? 25th has potential to be a madhouse with their anniversary party and releases.

I believe they adjusted their prices around summer time. There are still different pour prices (including solo 4oz pours) for core, premium, and high abv beers, however flights are a standard 4x$10 with a caveat that high abv (not sure what the cut off is) are an extra 50 cents each. So either 4x$10 at a minimum or up to 4x$12 at a max for a flight. If you just order 3 4oz pours of a high abv it'll probably be cheaper to get a flight lol.

Not the worst, not the best.

27. mumbles44

Trader

18th... so i am missing the madness.

ok cool thanks for the insight.. makes some sense to only do flights.
    more excited for stop 2 at twin elephan

28. Mrstiffington

Trader

Are they a “madness” level brewery at this point? Hoping it’s not that crazy if I can make it.

29. bryantc3

Trader

I mean I've never had to wait behind more than 1-3 orders when getting beer to go or getting flights/pours, and their bottle release from Friday was still around Sunday (100 bottles). Basically pour lines are more Carton than Twin Elephant/Source on a Saturday.

BUT they do tend to get a little busy at sporadic times. I've bee there on a Saturday evening when it was half empty and been there when seats were as scarce as twin elephant. A lot of it seems to be driven by groups/children. I suspect their anniversary party may be a bit busier than normal depending on when you go, but it shouldnt be chaos and there definitely shouldn't be a line before opening for any releases.

30. njcraftfan

I can't imagine it will be crazy... busy I'm sure but I don't think anything is selling out in hours or anything (maybe BA bottles?)... per IG they had 7 different cans available this past Saturday, representing releases from up to a month ago...

31. mumbles44

Trader

do they still have PB stout bottles?

32. Mrstiffington

Trader

Appreciate the detailed response. I was there over Christmas break and it was quiet but I was wondering how busy the anniversary specifically could get.

bryantc3 likes this.
  33. bryantc3

Trader

When they opened Sunday they said they did. No updates since. So likely won't know for sure until they open next and post about it.

34. dennis3951

I've never seen the place be really busy. Planning on getting there when they open buying a couple of bottles of the BBA RIS and leaving but may stay for a beer if it's not crowded.

35. dennis3951

Twin Elephant has been on a real roll the last few weeks knocking out one good beer after another.

Mrstiffington and MacMalt like this.
  36. bryantc3

Trader

First 2 Anniversary beers announced - Trappist Abbey Style Ale, one aged in Bourbon barrels other in Chardonnay barrels;9.9%, $18, 750ml, 2pp.

I appreciate that they put quantity, price, and allotment in the description. Not a huge fan of this style, so unsure if I'll get this one - but definitely holding out for the RIS.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7TWcFspH0z/

MacMalt likes this.
  37. bryantc3

Trader

More bottles dropping this friday. This one seems like it may be more approachable based on ABV- the post doesn't mention it but label says 9%, and it comes in at a dollar less than the last bottle release.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7WpKU6pzrR/

MacMalt likes this.
  38. bryantc3

Trader

Cracked into the 14% and it's done quite well. Not all the boozy, peanut butter shows it's face but not overly aggressive; a nice compliment. A little sweet - I've been working on this 750 for a bit, but still solid as it warms

Mrstiffington and MacMalt like this.
  39. bryantc3

Trader

Anniversary party is tomorrow. I appreciate their $10/flight pricing for the day. I won't be stopping by. Still considering if I want to stop by TE today for their cans or grab something from Untied after work.

40. Mrstiffington

Trader

I’m not sure if I’m going to stop by tomorrow either although I’d like to. Also would like to stop by twin Elephant tonight although I’m not sure I’m going to. I’d love to stop by Kean tomorrow as well but I probably won’t. Almost too many options these days!

dennis3951 and bryantc3 like this.