Updates to Changes: Beer Hads, Full Reviews & Ratings

Blog Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ch-Ch-Changes!

Evening BAs -

So we made some changes recently, much of which was based on feedback we've obtained from users and other sources over the 6 months or so. We listened, made some tweaks and then sat back to listen some more.

Jason and I have been chatting about the feedback for the last hour or so and decided to tweak things a bit more.

Minimum Characters for Full Reviews (250)
    We lowered this to 100 from 250. As of now it's back to 250. If someone wants to write a full review, then take some time and put down some words. Otherwise ... give it a Had for now. Come back to it later, or not. This may or may not change down the road with the site redesign.

Showing Hads Inline (Now Optional)
    Many of you expressed your displeasure with have to view Hads mixed in with Full Reviews, so we dropped in a checkbox to filter out Hads when viewing a beer. Then some of you expressed that viewing Full Reviews should be the default and Hads should be optional. Done. Full Reviews are now the default view on beer pages. Click the checkbox to view Hads.

The site was built on Full Reviews, so we're going to try to keep them front and center and continue to encourage users to contribute more.

Minor Bug Fixes/Updates
    • Displaying the old date/time stamp again. Might tweak it a bit, but it's back as requested.
    • Beer pages now display the number of Reviews and Hads for the beer; under rAvg and pDev.
    • Editing a Full Review now displays your review after you post the update; date doesn't change at this time.
    • When you Had a beer, "Show Hads" is set so you can visually see that it's been added. Simply uncheck the box if you want to go back to Full Review view.
    Hopefully this addresses some of the concerns many of you had. We'll continue to listen too.

In the meantime ... stay-tuned for more updates on the site redesign and mobile apps.

Cheers!

Todd (and Jason)

jzlyo, Squidly, 2beerdogs and 32 others like this.
  2. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

One more filter tag please, on the recent beer review page, used to be an enjoyable read, now it's not.
    (plus break up the top beers west coast into two regions)
    Otherwise, well done sirs,

3. Todd

For the time being, we're going to keep the main Beer page feed a mixture of Hads and Full Reviews.

4. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Pooh-Bah (1,837) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

did you guys catch my comment about changing the name to something like "quick rates" or, simply :gasp: "ticks"? constantly saying "hads" must be the most hackneyed, awkward language usage on this site in past year, by far :wink:

so in any case, will you consider weighting these less than full reviews? i agree they should count somehow, but just not as much. you put in less effort, you get less say. it's only fair...

gpawned and BBThunderbolt like this.
  5. Todd

We're keeping them "Hads" for now as they go with our Hads, Wants and Gots theme. Personally I'm keeping it as I now know it bugs you. :wink:

As for other changes, we're going to hold back until the site redesign and continue to listen to your feedback.

mrkrispy and beerjerk666 like this.
  6. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Cheers, and thank you Todd.

7. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

Good fixes. Keep up the good work. Thanks!

Todd and Jason like this.
  8. Todd

Forgot this one. Just updated my post.
    • Displaying the old date/time stamp again. Might tweak it a bit, but it's back as requested.

BeerKangaroo, Auror and HuskyinPDX like this.
  9. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Pooh-Bah (1,837) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

10. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

Awesome Jason and Todd. Thanks for listening to everyone's bitching (mine included). Very happy.

11. Auror

Auror Pooh-Bah (1,641) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Great job guys. Pretty much exactly what I thought should change. Hit it out of the park.

12. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

"Hads" still count for the scores, right?

This is the one major, major change that I saw a lot of concern about in the other thread. BA is now more ticker friendly than the other site, because here you don't have to write anything for your score to count and for your tick to be registered by your name. Less effort involved to get your credit for the beer. After the feedback from the other thread, is this what is intended going forward?

aasher and flexabull like this.
  13. Todd

Yes. How it's applied during the redesign will be a point of discussion, but our core intention was to make it count towards the overall rating.

14. mnrider

mnrider Savant (1,123) May 26, 2009 Connecticut

I like the changes and the tweaks. My only question is, what ever happened to the section of the user profiles that kept track of beers had from States, Country's, Styles etc.?

15. Rutager

Rutager Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

Awesome. Great stuff going on here lately. Looking forward to more in the future. Thanks, Bros!

16. Todd

It was a casualty of our being forced to look for a forum solution back in Feb 2012. We plan on bringing back user stats like this (and a whole lot more) with the redesign.

17. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

As stated by someone on first update thread... I think it would be cool to search for other users based on where they're from. This would make it easier for trades and possible tasting groups and things of that nature.

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Nice. Very nice. Cheers!

19. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

I dunno if they'll implement this as they stated previously that this would (and has) opened the door to spammers.

To Bros: Good stuff so far. One feature i'm very much looking forward to is more flexibility in searching within my beers but for now, this'll do :wink:

20. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I'd say in the case of preventing spammers, maybe you make a minimum review number. Like a user needs 10 or 15 reviews and then they're able to search for others by location.

And I do agree, the bros have done a great job accommodating us advocates and our suggestions.

RobertColianni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.