Updates to Changes: Beer Hads, Full Reviews & Ratings

Blog Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Can we get a Retired Top 100 soon? Wishful Thinking? :wink:

That's been my only true consistant want for two years now, aside from DDG

2. Jeffo

Jeffo Pooh-Bah (2,850) Sep 7, 2008 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I really think the quality of the reviews is what seperates this database from Ratebeer. Thanks for helping keep it that way.

Jeff

GONZALOYANNA, aasher, yamar68 and 7 others like this.
  3. liamt07

liamt07 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2009 Canada (ON)

On any brewery's main page, it still lists the total number of ratings as "Revs" (Reviews). Any thoughts as to whether to adopt listing total ratings for this page or just full reviews?

4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well, I kindly suggest a value of something like .10 for 'hads' compared to a full review, or something similarly diminished. :slight_smile:

In the other thread people noted that it isn't a theoretical point to note that people will "review bash" by just slamming beers with 1's or 5's quickly, because it was pointed out that people are already doing this. This will be inevitable with such a quick & easy 'had' scoring system. And I think it will be much tougher to police because of the vast quantity of 'hads' that will exist, increasing numbers of people using the 'hads' feature (especially once the app goes live too), and a suitably low score weighting will diminish the negative impact on beers' scores.

chinchill, tut2528, jplopez21 and 2 others like this.
  5. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Minimum Characters for Full Reviews (250)
    THANK GOODNESS!!

6. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hads and Full Review averages are actually very close for most beers.

I believe we've also witnessed some 1 bashing and 5 hyping with Full Reviews before all of this too.

beerjerk666 and UncleJimbo like this.
  7. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,655) Aug 18, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

What's the point in making it so that a person can't update hads quickly? If someone has a few beers at a bar and wants to update later, is there really a point in limiting how quickly that can be done?

Fargrow, Huhzubendah, Franch and 3 others like this.
  8. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Weight the Hads (I suggest .25) compared to reviews and I would be very happy with everything else that has been done so far.

ncketchum likes this.
  9. 05Harley

05Harley Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2008 New Hampshire

Nice revision guy's, digging on going back to the 250 characters and as always thanks for listening and including us users.

10. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Pooh-Bah (1,837) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

can you post the comparison figures for the "top beer" lists?

11. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

I like that you can now rank things in quarters when reviewing a beer, that is a nice touch.

12. nickfl

nickfl Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2006 Florida

I like the updates! Recently a lot of things that had been bothering me since the forum redesign last year have been improved. I am especially looking forward to the improvements that you have promised with the site redesign.

One more request, when the app comes out, please do not be one of those websites that prompts me to download the app every time I visit the site on my iPad. An app for the phone is one thing, but I have absolutely no interest in an app or "mobile version" of a website when I'm using my iPad and I'm amazed at how many websites seem to want to cram one down my throat.

Scrapss and AxesandAnchors like this.
  13. woosterbill

woosterbill Pooh-Bah (2,733) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

Great news! I'm so, so glad that full reviews are back to the default view, and that full reviews still have to be longer than a tweet.

Cheers!

RobertColianni likes this.
  14. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Grand Pooh-Bah (3,036) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And all is right with the world again. (except beer costing money). Glad to see the clutter of the "Hads" is gone. Thanks!!!

15. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 New York

Im a little fuzzy on the term ticker, its derogatory? Just because someone uses the scoring system with the written review does that automatically mean you're not a ticker? You sir have reviewed 1000+ beers...that's like 3 times as many as I have ever had in my life. Perhaps you're a ticker?

16. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Pooh-Bah (1,837) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

compare BA full reviews with untapped and ratebeer. it's night and day. people like yemenmocha take time to actually evaluate a beer and write his reviews. meanwhile at ratebeer, it's literally a competition for who "ticks" the most beers - they list rankings of who has "reviewed" the most beers. i put "review" in quotes deliberately.

17. duceswild

duceswild Pooh-Bah (2,046) Feb 8, 2010 Heard & McDonald Islands
    Pooh-Bah Trader

To the Bros: Can you please look into the time between entering hads. I am sure I am not the only one in this group that takes notes either on paper, on my phone, or even mentally if just a few beers when at tastings or the bar then enters them all at once when I'm back on the website in front of the computer. I understand wanting to prevent spamming the site with a ton of hads quickly but you can at least let me enter more then 1 or 2 a minute.

18. gcamparone

gcamparone Pooh-Bah (2,057) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Nice changes, thank you! Definitely keep it at 250 character min. I hate reading cursory reviews!

ncketchum likes this.
  19. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You can tell the tickers by if they review with a notepad or phone while they drink 2 oz samples, and make sure to get every one into their databank. Take a look at ratebeer for ticker style reviews. Sure one can tick and give helpful, BJCP reviews done with full pours and careful consideration, but that is not an issue with me in terms of the usefulness of their review in making my buying choices.

People can tick all they want, more power to them. It is when they post that they think a number, or a review saying the equivalent of , "Really brown beer, some foam on top, nice smell, malty, good taste, malty with some hops, and some excellent carbonation, I recommend it" should be weighted the same as a "real" review that I have an issue . One feels almost stupider after reading a review from most tickers.

RobertColianni and ncketchum like this.
  20. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Pooh-Bah (1,703) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is a small and unrelated suggestion, but something to consider for the site redesign: instead of drop down boxes for selecting a score 1 through 5 - for Hads AND Reviews - I think it would be more attractive to have a horizontal scale and slider. The default would naturally be at '3' - defeating the argument that negligence is why there are so many Hads scored as 1's. This would also be an improvement on the clunky appearance of the drop down boxes, especially since the list of numbers has grown considerably (which I like).

chinchill, kuhndog, ncketchum and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.