Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

upright freezer into kegerator

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by raczkowski, Dec 21, 2012.

1. raczkowski

Beer Trader

i know people say get chest freezers...do any of you ever get the upright freezers and make kegerators that way? the only issue i could see is putting the tap into the door? just curious as my brother has one of these and probably will not be using it anymore.

2. billandsuz

yes, this can be done.
    the big issue is the freezer must have removable shelves. some freezers have cold coils built into the wire racks. these can not be removed. the frost free freezers typically use forced air and will have removable shelves.

you must be certain you know where to drill in any event. there will likely be coils in the sides of the box but not in the door.
    Cheers.

3. raczkowski

Beer Trader

my brother's has removeable shelves...its actually a refridgerator/freezer combination where you have an option to use it as fridge or freezer...i may just use it as a fridge to keep my other beers as a cellar...not sure yet what hes going to do with it at the moment.

4. dachshunddude86

This is probably the easiest thing to convert then as long as you don't mind the tap coming through the door. All you have to do is drill the hole (drill a small pilot hole first so you can drill from both sides, this will make it easier and cleaner since hole saws or spade bits can get a little messy punching through the back of something), insert a shank, and tighten it down, and hook up the tubing. Voila, instant kegerator. All in all you should be able to complete everything including hooking up all the connections in under an hour.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe