News USA is #1 in hop production

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by cavedave, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,426) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

" For only the third time in the past 10 years, the United States bested Germany to lead the world in hop production last year, according to a final 2015 report by Hop Growers of America in Moxee."- from article

It's only right that the number one hop loving country should be the number one hop producer. Short and interesting article.

http://www.capitalpress.com/article/20160209/ARTICLE/160209873

2. TheElectricOne

TheElectricOne Defender (610) Jan 31, 2015 Rhode Island

That gap will probably grow wider and wider over the next few years. Plenty of breweries still have hop shortages, so farmers will meet that demand by growing more and more. I didn't see in that article whether hops are exported at all....a question I'd be curious to know, what with craft beer getting bigger in Mexico and Canada.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  3. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,703) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Premium Industry

Climate change is having a devastating effect on Germany's hop production. They've had a series of consecutive harvests that were well below average, including an absolutely devastating harvest a couple of years ago.

Meanwhile, the Yakima area has more glacial runoff and precipitation than any other agricultural area in the contiguous 48 states. Good for them!

4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,108) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Yeah, based on this article - they've had an increasing rate of hail storms, and the hottest summer ever recorded.

http://www.thelocal.de/20150821/climate-change-to-raise-price-of-german-beer-report

foundersfan1 likes this.
  5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,376) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

There are not really hop shortages, just some some hops are in high demand. That is why contracts are important.

The US imports a lot of hops from Germany, UK, NZ, AU. Exports are about 10 times that, to Mexico, Benelux, UK, and Germany as the top 4. A large part of that export amount is in the form of hop extracts.

6. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,703) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Premium Industry

foundersfan1 likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,636) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

"China is the other main producer ranging from 6 to 16 percent."

I was not aware that China was a producer of hops. Something new I learned today.

Thanks Dave (@cavedave)!!

Cheers!

8. zestd

zestd Disciple (314) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

Hops are great...but you don't want to hang out too long in Yakama.

raynmoon and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  9. bierhaus15

bierhaus15 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2016 New York

The Yakima and Willamette valley are the only major hop producing areas of the world under full irrigation. So when it doesn't rain all Summer in the Hallertauer, the whole crop suffers immensely.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  10. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

Why? Too rainy? Nothing to do? Vampires?

foundersfan1 and gibgink like this.
  11. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,584) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

No, hop farmers will shoot on sight.

foundersfan1, Caveworm and zestd like this.
  12. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (117) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

It's unfortunate for Germany but are they hopping beers at the same rate we are, or just selling them to us. Seems crazy that 4000 breweries in the midst of a hop fever in America has the same relative hop production as Germany.

13. hopfenunmaltz

No, most German beer is not highly hoped. If one looks at AALs, then those have less hops than most German beers.

Germany exports a large amount of their hops for lagers, which are the most popular styles worldwide.

Ranbot and chavinparty like this.
  14. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (535) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Yeah. @chavinparty, for example Anheuser-Busch sources hops from Germany and is just one of many large brewers around the world who do. There are relatively few places in the world with appropriate climates for growing commercially viable yields of hops, Germany is one of them.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  15. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,007) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

This surprised me that we were not way ahead in production. It just goes to show how change happens slowly. It is hard to replace traditional growing areas as the king.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  16. jmdrpi

Ranbot and foundersfan1 like this.
  17. jmdrpi

Look at the graph on page #13 of the report I linked. It shows that hop demand is currently higher than hop production.

Looks like starting in 2013/14, China passed Germany for #4 for US hop exports. Germany is now #5.

#17 jmdrpi, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    foundersfan1 likes this.
  18. jmdrpi

Germany isn't just growing for themselves. The US and Germany are growing 81% of the world's hops, but aren't producing 81% of the world's beer.

Brazil is the #3 country for beer production (after China and the US), but doesn't grow any hops. It's all about climate.

foundersfan1 and DovGibor like this.
  19. hopfenunmaltz

I probably was looking at the year before. China's beer consumption and production are growing fast (or were), and the hops have come from other places as they don't grow enough.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  20. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Crusader (797) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

What? Why not, I had a great time visiting the last time I was there.

21. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (513) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Anyone know what China is growing besides Tsingtao Flower?

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Initiate (71) Dec 25, 2015 Washington

Germany can buy a Tettnang rhizome from me if they need it! :wink:

I've been to Yakima around hop harvest. Aroma gets pretty heady coming out of the drying houses. Pretty dang hot there, too.

23. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (237) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

Plz grow more hops USA.. my country's breweries are suffering from hop scarcity :slight_frown:

24. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (471) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Anyone know why they don't irrigate in Germany? That would at least fix drought related issues?

25. jmdrpi

This is old, but the only thing I could find with a quick search
    [​IMG]

26. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Disciple (398) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

Sorry for my enthuasiam of things Italian, but look at how Italy has jumped and is ninth. Very interesting when consider the size of it!

27. derailment

derailment Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2010 Ohio

They do, but last year the snowpack didn't accumulate as expected and there were rounds of water restrictions throughout the different irrigation districts. Climate issues can most definitely put that entire region at risk if the winter snows don't continue. This year looks much better than last at this point!

28. derailment

derailment Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2010 Ohio

It was kind of hard to understand him, but a German representative from SS Steiner was telling me about that situation while I was out in Yakmia last summer. My take-a-way was that their big concern had to do with groundwater contamination if I understood him correctly. Lets keep our fingers crossed for moderate precipitation across Europe next year!

29. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

The natural environment is what makes those German noble hops so good...American variants just don't taste the same.

30. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,008) May 23, 2011 Washington

This year's snow pack is more than 100% expected for this time of year. Good for the hops and hopefully the wild fires aren't as bad.

jmdrpi likes this.
  31. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (584) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

definitely part of the story. there is a a trace mineral in high concentrations in German soil that affect the flavors german hops impart, maybe copper?

32. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (473) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Maybe... avoid trespassing? Just sayin'

33. hopfenunmaltz

Copper compounds are used as fungicides. So probably not the reason.

The copper has been thought to be the reason fo no 4MMP in continental hops.

34. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (584) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

i think i recall that. For the Love of Hops goes into some detail on the topic. don't have the book in front of me to elaborate unfortunately. but if copper limits/eliminates 4mmp, than it is indeed affecting the flavor profile.

35. hopfenunmaltz

Yes, that is where I remember it from too. But is is not from the ground water.

36. Ranbot

I'm always surprised Argentina and Chile have so little hop production. It seems like there would be areas along their mountainous Pacific coast with similar climates and terrain as regions like Oregon, New Zealand, and Australia.

#36 Ranbot, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  37. hopfenunmaltz

It looks like Argentina has about 400 acres in production. Not much Pacific coast there, it is on the other side of the Andies.

During the hop shortage of 2007/2008 timeframe, Brewers were getting Argentinian Cascade hops. They didn't have the cascade aroma, it was said they were more like a continental hop.

Ranbot likes this.
  38. Ranbot

Yeah, but I figured there might still be some areas suitable, and I did remember something about Argentinian hops as you mentioned....
    Maybe something other than Cascade would have been a better variety? And what's Chile's excuse!? :grinning: Too busy with vineyards probably.... :rolling_eyes:

I don't pretend to really know much about the details of hop farming. From my the viewpoint of comfy armchair it just looks similar to other regions that are known for hop production.

cavedave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.