Using a Randall

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Jason311, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason311

Jason311 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2012 Virginia

I have a Randall at my bar that i would love to start using. I would like to know from those that have used one before how much weight in Hops it takes to fill one for use?

I have also thought of using Whole Vanilla Beans also, any opinions on those also?

Thanks in advance.

2. PJHealy

PJHealy Initiate (21) Jun 14, 2012 Ohio

I built one from a whole-house water filter for maybe $40-$50, and it works great. Mine holds about 1.25 ounces of whole-leaf hops. Side-by-side taste test confirmed it definitely adds aroma and flavor.

I worry that you wouldn't get much flavor from whole vanilla beans. Not enough contact time in the Randall. Usually you slit the beans, soak them in liquor (eg vodka) for a day or more, then dump the vanilla-flavored liquor into your batch of beer.

But, hey, give it a try anyway and let us know if it works!

Jason311 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.