Vancouver, Whistler, with a child.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jpbebeau, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Hello,

My wife and daughter and I are heading up to Vancouver for a day and a night, then Whister for another two nights.

Which (if any) of the recommended places would allow us all to enter? Not sure how pubs/shops work north of the border.

Thanks!

2. Rutager

Rutager Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

First, Whistler isn't much of a beer destination. I'd stock up at 16th st Liquor store in West Vancouver. It's an easy stop on your way up to Whistler.

Most of the good beer spots in Vancouver technicaly allow kids because of their restraunt licence, but I wouldn't take my kids to any of them in the evening. Brunch works great though! check out Alibi room and St Augustines. Alibi only has brunch on weekends, not sure about St Augustines.

Hopefully others will chime in on other options..

FondueVoodoo and jpbebeau like this.
  3. hoser

hoser Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2003 Canada (AB)

The brewpub in Whistler has an excellent brewer as to it being kid friendly, call when you get there. The brewers name is Derrick. He was the brewer at Dix in Vancouver for the longest time.

jpbebeau likes this.
  4. Rutager

Rutager Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

Howe Sound Brewery is also on your way up to Whistler in Squamish. Kid friendly, great beer and great food.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  5. jpbebeau

Thanks, this helps!

6. hoser

hoser Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2003 Canada (AB)

Agreed on the stop at Howe Sound.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  7. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Dang, really not too many good beer options up in Whistler, huh? Going up there this weekend for the half-marathon.

8. sanford_and_son

Wow, the food and beer in whistler is GARBAGE. How is this possible? It's a god damn resort town, you'd think they'd be some better gourmet stuff around here with all high rollers up here.

9. CascadianDarkAle

CascadianDarkAle Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2012 Canada (BC)

You were warned :wink:

Whistler has always seemed conservative when it comes to food and beverage, which is in sharp contrast to the "extreme" sports image it presents for the rest of the resort.

Howe Sound (Squamish) and 16th Street (West Vancouver) are still your best bets on the Sea to Sky corridor.

10. jpbebeau

So agreed. It was terrible up there. Doesn't really make me want to go back...

11. sanford_and_son

i wonder why that is? it just seems like such a huge missed opportunity.

I came up for the half-marathon, which was fun, and it's a really pretty village and everything. Prior to this I'd only come up to snowboard in my younger days, so it feels weird without snow down here.

But seriously, some hot shot brewer from Seattle or Portland could come up here, open up shop and make a killing assuming the taxes and whatnot aren't too severe.

12. CascadianDarkAle

CascadianDarkAle Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2012 Canada (BC)

Whistler needs more hipsters? :rolling_eyes:

Valid question, but I'll leave it to the beer industry experts to provide a better answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.