Vermont (Foley bros. / Drop-In / Otter Creek) suggestions

Discussion in 'New England' started by DJturnstile, Jan 4, 2016.

?

Best west VT brewery?

1. Foley bros.

82.1%
  2. Drop-in

3.6%
  3. Otter Creek

14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (71) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Deactivated

I'm taking a trip to Vermont next month and hitting up these three breweries that are closest to our cabin. Was hoping someone could suggest some MUST HAVE beers by these breweries so I can hopefully stock up on growlers, bottles ect...

Obviously i'll be sampling all that I can but in case there's something I miss....

And is there any other beer or bottle shops I should be looking for in the Middlebury area?

I'll try and find some Alchemist and Hill Farmstead for sure but also looking for new, under the radar stuff.

Thanks!

2. stereosforgeeks

stereosforgeeks Savant (939) Jul 10, 2005 Virginia

Foley's Prospect is the best beer I've had by them. Super fruity but a little hot as it is 9%.

HuskyHawk and DJturnstile like this.
  3. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,060) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

Otter Creek is a bit pedestrian. Most stuff by them is available in stores up there. They do serve food, though.

I like that Drop-in has a lot to choose from style-wise, but nothing is particularly great (although some are good).

Foley has some good stuff IPA-wise and otherwise, but has a more limited list

DJturnstile likes this.
  4. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,950) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Pieces of 8 if available at Foley is my favorite of their brews, Fair Maiden, Prospect are very good too.

DJturnstile likes this.
  5. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Fiddlehead brewing is just north of Middlebury and a major player in the VT beer scene. Second Fiddle is a great DIPA and comes in cans. Next door is a great pizza place that you can enjoy your beers.

meefmoff likes this.
  6. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Foley Brothers has a fun vibe, with a tasting room in a converted barn. It's down a long dirt road. Their IPAs are superb, I'd rate them Prospect, Pieces of 8, Fair Maiden, Centennial....but all four of those are very very good. Other beers have been solid too, if not to the same acclaim (what else is new).

Otter Creek is decent, but as others have said, it's in every supermarket. You might want to head up to Fiddlehead as well if you are driving up Rt 7.

DJturnstile likes this.
  7. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (536) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Otter Creek is much better than decent. Drop In is very good as well mostly. They're all so close you might as well hit them all up. Foley Bros has the rarity factor so that should be the first option just make sure to check visiting hours. Any IPA from Foley or sour that you can get, get. For Otter Creek, the collab with Lawsons Double or Nothing maple barleywine is out and is good stuff. If you like whiskey and such - stop by Appalachian Gap Distillery right in Middlebury - free tastings, good people, and awesome stuff.

DJturnstile likes this.
  8. DJturnstile

Deactivated

Thank you! Great tips. Hope I can find that collab. Will check out that distillery for sure also.

9. zeedub

zeedub Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 Vermont

Agreed, their Imperial Russian Stout is also worth a try and the Backseat Berner is a great everyday beer. As has been said above, Foley's IPA's are great, the Prospect is a must; I liked their Maple Brown Ale, but I think that might be out of season. On the distillery front, Whistlepig is going to be pretty close to Middlebury and they are fantastic.

Givemebeer likes this.
  10. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Str8fromtheGrnMtns Initiate (103) Sep 8, 2014 Vermont

Otter creek just redid their pub, it has a new modern feel to it. it's pleasant, and the food is just superb imo. the beer is good too :wink: both the RIS and Double or Nothing are still on tap and in bottles (i was there on saturday.)

not much has been said about drop-in here, but it is one of my favorite local breweries, and Steve is one of the best brewers. the version of supernova ipa that is on right now is the best version i've had, hopped with mosaic, citra, and simcoe. all styles that he brews are very well balanced.

you may already know this, but you will need to drive to burlington or waterbury or montpelier to obtain Heady, and to HF to obtain bottles/growlers of HF. both are not around Middlebury.

also, if you like gin, Stonecutter Spirits is right next to Appalachian gap distillery. i personally hate gin, but they produce an amazing product.

DJturnstile and zeedub like this.
  11. Givemebeer

Steve definitely really knows his stuff. Good point with Stonecutters too.

Str8fromtheGrnMtns likes this.
  12. DJturnstile

Deactivated

THANKS! Was wondering if Otter Creek had reopened. Couldn't tell from their website. And I love me some gin as well so i'll check that out for sure. Was curious about drop-in since I had never heard about them till I started searching. Excited to try that. Definitely driving upstate a bit to check out the prohibition pig and blackback pub also.

Str8fromtheGrnMtns likes this.
  13. HuskyHawk

It's definitely better than decent. I didn't choose my adjective well. On the other hand, I really haven't liked any of Mike's IPAs. I don't understand why but they all came across as harsh and very bitter. My six pack of Overgrown was drain poured (I shared it with a CBC guy who liked the beer and he agreed, my six pack was undrinkable...and it was fresh). Space Juice and Double Dose I liked better, but not like the Foley Bros IPAs. Still...many others have liked their hoppy beers more than I did.

14. Givemebeer

Interesting. How old was the overgrown? It seems to me that that beer in particular falls off very quickly

15. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (143) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts

Did Mike have much to do with Space Juice since it's a Long Trail product? I can see him discussing it with LT, but was he involved in the brewing?

16. HuskyHawk

No, that's my flub. I meant Double Dose and Double or Nothing. Talked to Mike at Beervana this year, nice guy.

Capt_Quint likes this.
  17. HuskyHawk

Only 3-4 weeks and was refrigerated when I bought it. It wasn't just a faded IPA...it was undrinkable and a Cicerone at CBC concurred. No idea what happened to it...each bottle was the same. But Fresh Slice and Citra Mantra I just found harsh for some reason. Need to try Backstreet Berner.

Givemebeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.