Vermont trip - Aug 30- Sept 3. (Bottle release info)

Discussion in 'New England' started by Thishops4u, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thishops4u

Thishops4u Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 Kansas

Hello -

Traveling to VT soon and looking for some bottle shops that carry heady and Lawson's. Also want to check out some other breweries. See below itinerary.

Day 1
    Saturday aug 30
    Driving from Manchester, NH to HF.
    Getting there around 11:30

Parker pie for late lunch

Reservoir or prohibition pig for dinner
    Staying in Stowe

Day 2 - Day 4
    Aug 31 - Sept 2

Good breakfast/brunch spots
    Brewery tours
    Restaurants
    Bottle shops
    Hiking spots
    Bike rental places

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. hawkfarmorganic

hawkfarmorganic Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 Maine

markgugs likes this.
  3. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (153) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont

Their is Tons of info on this forum. Check alchemist site or headyspotter.com for heady info Lawson's= warren general store, beveragewarehouse and hunger mountain coop. Lawsons log...
    What type of biking are u looking to do? Bike paths, road, mountain? Do u want to stay in Stowe area or travel around the state?

4. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

coming all the way from Kansas! You will have a great time, search the forums and if you have any questions message me.

5. Respirologist

Respirologist Initiate (182) Feb 26, 2013 Massachusetts

Not beer related but if someone knows of good spots to bike please message me. Next time I come to VT i'll be looking for asphalt bike trails. I'm sure I can use google for this but I figure someone who has ridden it before can provide feedback whether the trail is good or not

6. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (509) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

I'd recommend Lost Nation in Morrisville for your late lunch on the 30th, not because Parker Pie isn't fantastic, just that LN is on your way to Stowe and will save you 45 minutes or so of driving. OTOH, driving around that part of VT is a pleasure; just depends on how tight your schedule is. You will love LN though. Great food with outdoor dining right next to the smoker and kitchen, $4 drafts of world class beer, wonderful BBQ and some eclectic takes on bar food.

I prefer Reservoir to Prohibition Pig, but I'm a biased local who remembers the Alchemist brewpub that used to be in the PP space. You will definitely spend less money at Reservoir while enjoying a similar beer selection to PP; the food is a matter of opinion.

If you want to stay close to your base, Waterbury and Stowe both have plenty of good places to eat/drink... check the various rating sites (obviously including BA) and find places that suit your style. Burlington has a greater variety of places that you can check out, depending on how much driving you want to do.

The best bottle shops that are reasonably nearby are Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury, Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier and Beverage Warehouse in Winooski. BW has by far the best selection but is slightly out of your way.

Here is a link to bike trails in Stowe: http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sports/biking/trails

The trails in Waterbury (Perry Hill) are pretty challenging but you can also hike them, watching out for cyclists, if you don't crave lots of lactic acid and jumping your bike over logs at awkward moments. Wherever you ride, the ground will be wetter and slicker than you are accustomed to in KS... careful.

A hike I'd recommend if you have time and the weather is good is Camel's Hump via the Monroe trail in Duxbury, starting about 20 minutes drive from downtown Waterbury. It's about 1.5 - 2 hours each way, taking it easy. The lower half is a slog through dense woods but the rest of the way has nice views (and a little very easy scrambling). My house is about 2 miles from the trailhead and we have done this hike many times. A great New England mountain hike that doesn't kill you or take all day.

And finally.. bring lots of insect repellent!

HuskyHawk, hawkfarmorganic and Flashy like this.
  7. Thishops4u

Wow. Thanks for all the helpful tips. We have been looking forward to this for a long time.

We booked our B&B in Stowe - Brass Lantern Inn. Wife was stoked about the charm and breakfast menu.

Probably do a little mountain biking in Stowe. So I will take a look at this link: http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sports/biking/trails

Lots of stuff to do and some great places to eat and drink. We can't go wrong with any of your suggestions.

Cheers!

8. buking21

buking21 Disciple (306) Jan 21, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

OP, you might also consider Hop Jam on 8/30. If so, maybe I'll see you there:slight_smile:

9. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

As a native Kansan, hope you enjoy it. Vermont is beautiful, and I like your plan to enjoy the trip and supplement it with some great beer. People who come to Vermont just for beer are missing out on its many virtues in my opinion, often with wildly ambitious schedules that leave them driving, drinking and waiting in line the whole trip. Nobody has mentioned Burlington yet, I think it's a cool small city/college town that is worth checking out.

Hill Farmstead website and Alchemist website show all the places in and around Stowe with their beers on tap (there are several) or in cans in the case of Heady Topper.

10. Thishops4u

The plan:
    Saturday, 8/30/14
    Driving from Manchester and arriving at HF around 11am.
    Hang out for awhile.
    Lost Nation
    Check into the brass lantern inn - Tight little B&B place that the wifey found. The breakfast menu looks killer
    http://www.brasslanterninn.com/breakfast.htm
    We have dinner reservations at the award winning Bistro at 10 Acres - http://tenacreslodge.com/bistro.php

Sunday, 8/31/14
    Heading to Shelburne
    Check out Fiddlehead around noon
    Go across the street to the Shelburne winery
    Drive up to Burlington - lake champlain, north beach, chocolate factory, ben & Jerry's.
    Grab lunch at the Skinny Pancake
    some shopping - Church Street Marketplace - http://www.churchstmarketplace.com/
    Dinner at Trattoria Delia - http://www.trattoriadelia.com/ wine selection looks good and I am sure there will be some nice beers on tap

Monday, 9/1/14
    Heading to Smuggler's Notch for some hiking - http://www.smuggs.com/
    Hang out in Waterbury - The Reservoir and Prohibition Pig
    Dinner - wife's pick - any good recommendations in Stowe or Waterbury?

Tuesday, 9/2/14
    Drive up to Montpelier
    Hunger Mountain CoOp
    Lunch: Mad Taco
    Three Penny Taproom
    Dinner: at Hen of the Wood (made a reservation today)

Wednesday -
    Drive to Waitsfield
    Shopping and lunch at American Flatbread
    Head back home

#10 Thishops4u, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  11. HuskyHawk

Sounds good. Ben & Jerry's is in Waterbury though, not Burlington. You also might find the Shelburne museum is worth a visit, it is very unique and we've visited it 3-4 times.

12. Thishops4u

Ah good call. How about a dinner recommendation for Monday? Thanks for your help.

13. HuskyHawk

Depends on if you want Waterbury or Stowe. Stowe will have much more "upscale" dinner options in my view (see link), but I'm not an expert as our place is to the south of Waterbury, so I rarely get up to Stowe. Given your other dinner options are all pretty nice, I think Stowe is where your wife will find a place.

Where are you from in KS? Sometimes I am not sure people understand that Waterbury has 5000+ people. That's it. It's a crossroads of RT 100 and I-84, and has Ben & Jerry's so has more "stuff" than a town that size should, but it is a very small town.

FYI link to Shelburne Museum. I'd pick it over the winery (and I'm a wine guy).

14. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont

American Flatbread in Waitsfield has very limited hours, they actually aren't open on Wednesday at all, and they don't do lunch. Mad taco or the Warren store are good lunch spots in the Valley. Your plan sounds good otherwise, I highly recommend eating lunch at Lost Nation when you stop by.

15. Thishops4u

Definitely having a late lunch at Lost Nation. Switching Flatbread to Warren Store..thanks for the heads up @iwantmorehops. @HuskyHawk I live in Overland Park. The Roost & Crop Bistro sound good. Any other good wineries that we should hit in Burlington/Stowe/Waterbury/Montpelier? Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.