Veterans Day (2019): Honoring Those Who've Served

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nc41, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I say this with a lot of trepidation, because tomorrow isn’t a holiday, but there’s no other way to headline this. Its a solemn reminder of those we lost and for those who returned, but left a piece of themselves in some third world shit hole and still struggle everyday still fighting their demons.

Respect to my fellow BA vets who served and in a lot of ways suffered thru their tour. Thanks to all those who support military families, because their sacrifice is quite real, and they need our support.

As always a prayer for my Uncle Tony killed in Sicily. One for my uncle Danny wounded on a black sand sulfurous hell hole called Iwo Jima. My son currently deployed again who will again miss the holidays in some shit hole 15,000 miles from his family, who suffers from PTSD from his first tour in Afghanistan. I’m just war weary as a father, I want it to end.

Prayers to all.

#1 nc41, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. scream

scream Meyvn (1,157) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Thanks and best wishes for your son and all the others out there for us !

LarryV, AlcahueteJ, mickyge and 11 others like this.
  3. wescamp29

wescamp29 Initiate (72) May 21, 2019 Georgia

Best wishes to your son and your family. We all raise a glass to your family, your son, and all other veterans on this day. Cheers!

LarryV, AlcahueteJ, mickyge and 9 others like this.
  4. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,159) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Thanks to the many veterans on this site! Cannot thank you enough for my freedom.

Cheers

LarryV, AlcahueteJ, mickyge and 11 others like this.
  5. rgordon

rgordon Savant (984) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Damn Dale, what a real testimonial. And thanks. My Dad was a PTSD decorated World War Two officer that made a difference on the ground around Leyte after the huge sea, air and land invasion battle. I learned how to operate with brevity and humor because of my Father. He was a remarkable citizen soldier that would have rather been golfing. Instead he helped a greater cause that he really only fuller understood years later.

6. nc41

Trader

I remember you mentioning your father, that generation literally saved the world. They didn’t do tours they were in for duration. Imagine that, there was no end date unless you were severely wounded, killed or you won. Cheers to your dad he was a hero imo.

LarryV, beertrip, Peach63 and 10 others like this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon Savant (984) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My Dad was wounded twice, got Dengue Fever, Malaria, and a dose of diphtheria. He spent healing time in San Francisco and went back. And he smoked two packs of Camels a day. This is what killed him. Leyte was a key part of the end of the war in The Pacific. It was what Mac Arthur promised...

8. nc41

Trader

He said he’d return.

The Philippines were truly horrific, the casualties staggering. The loss of a life is tragic, imagine in today’s world trying to explain to America that you had 25,000 Marines killed and wounded in 30 days on Iwo Jima , the Japanese suffered that many killed, almost to the man. The Philippines was worse as if that’s possible, hope those days never come again, they paid a terrible price to win.

mickyge, LarryV, Peach63 and 5 others like this.
  9. Todd

Todd Founder (5,997) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Raising my glass of The Lost Abbey Ex Cathedra to all of my fellow veterans. :beers:

USAF 87-91, Security Forces / GLCM Ranger

10. nc41

Trader

I had a HS friend who spent his life in security forces and time in Minot walking around underground silos. Must have been a thrill in Winter. Not.

11. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,299) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

LarryV, TongoRad, Peach63 and 5 others like this.
  12. nc41

Trader

Sounds eerily similar to A Lincoln speech as Gettysburg. I’m supposing we’re genetically predisposed to being stupid, we don’t seem to have the ability to learn from those who came before us. It’s a shame we’re destined to make the same mistakes, and sooner or later Mother Nature will make a decision.

13. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,708) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I just had a conversation about PTSD with three other people in the office on Friday. Two of the three suffer from it from deployments in Iraq or Afghanistan. There's a lot of people still suffer from previous service. I'm blessed by the sacrifices others have made. Thanks to all the veterans.

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,521) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Thanks for being appreciatve and for starting this thread, @nc41. And my thanks and well-wishes right back atcha' for you and your family.

nc41, mickyge, LarryV and 8 others like this.
  15. nc41

Trader

Hmm, I’m venting a bit now so I apologize. I suffer from PTSD and right now I’m not in a good place. The trigger here is easy to figure, but it’s always there to some degree, but it’s better now than it was because I have a fantastic wife. But it’s not for me, I can deal with this crap, but I have a real problem with my granddaughters losing their father. He’s still alive and serving, but still he’s lost. He’s lost on some shitty FOB on the Pakistan border in 2012. Don’t know if he’ll ever return. What’s normal? Not sure I can answer that right now, I look normal, I work, but still I’m off and have been forever, probably always will be I suppose.

Sorry to vent, but a bit of pressure release is helpful tonight.

16. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,391) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Or as Robert E. Lee stated: « It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it. »

Not particularly fan of the man, but I recognize a good quote when I read one...

25Comical, nc41, mickyge and 7 others like this.
  17. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,284) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

When I was in Missiles, we would always give the the SF guys shit out at site and ask the mid to high ranking guys if they knew how many rivets were on a B-52. Most of them had a sense of humor, some would just say " I hope you guys don't F up coding on to site any time soon...

mickyge, LarryV, PapaGoose03 and 6 others like this.
  18. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,168) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

The generation that fought in WWII was... actually, I have no words. Both of my grandpa’s served. My dad’s dad, my Papa, was in the Navy and fought at The Battle of Coral Sea. On the other hand, my mom’s dad didn’t really divulge much, if at all about his experiences. He passed away when I was too young to realize anything. He never told anyone how he earned his Purple Heart (I’m not sure what happened to the ribbon). Here are his medals on display at my parent’s house:

19. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (140) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

Right back at you Todd.
    87'-90', Army, 19K, 4/32 Armor, KIrsch Goens West Germany.
    Thanks to all who served and are still serving.

Roguer, russpowell, LarryV and 10 others like this.
  20. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,041) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Very well said. Prayers for your son's safe return and any others from the extended BA family. A thank you to all that have served.

21. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,187) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

While on an IG tour of a LCF in Montana, we got to witness the SFs take down some maintenance folks who screwed up the entry codes to the facility. The SFs knew the maintenance crew were okay, but because the IG was there, I guess they just wanted to show off their force protection chops. What was kind of fun was seeing our helicopter crew also get face-planted (they probably didn't think it was so funny, though)...

russpowell, mickyge, LarryV and 6 others like this.
  22. nc41

Trader

I’m supposing looking at the medals and things in the box your Pop was in the Army Air Corps. At that time the USAF wasn’t chartered yet, and there’s air wings of some type. Could have been a crew member on a bomber, highly likely. Maybe the most dangerous job you could have at that time, the casualty rates on aircraft and crew was incredibly high.

23. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,521) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

There's probably a reason why the phrase 'keep the faith' has perservered. Things will turn out okay if faith is within you.

russpowell, mickyge, LarryV and 3 others like this.
  24. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Raising a glass to all our Vets, my family thanks you all for everything you gave/give to us.
    Cheers

guinness77, mickyge, LarryV and 7 others like this.
  25. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (725) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

A huge thank you to all who served or still serve.

My father was second Marines and my wife’s grandfather was a Navy ships captain.

All you guys/girls are who serve are amazing and I genuinely appreciate all you do.

Thank you

Enjoy

russpowell, mickyge, LarryV and 4 others like this.
  26. Todd

Todd Founder (5,997) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I managed to avoid the silos. I did a year at Loring Air Force Base in Maine and the rest at RAF Greenham Common in England. The latter is why we're all on BA today.

Shanex, Roguer, nc41 and 13 others like this.
  27. Bobbi862

Bobbi862 Initiate (31) Nov 10, 2019 Illinois

Thank you Vets!

28. scream

scream Meyvn (1,157) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Did my time w a nuclear 8" howitzer unit in Hanau, FRG. Best part was meeting the young girl who is now my wife of 46 yrs. !

25Comical, TrojanRB, Shanex and 18 others like this.
  29. mickyge

mickyge Savant (948) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Thank you to your family for their sacrifices, your family certainly did way more then their part. Prayers and hope for a safe homecoming for your son, it can't be easy for you guys with the constant worrying. I'm not a big fan of our involvement over there just for the simple fact our best and brightest are getting killed and maimed over there for people that hate us.

My Dad was in The Battle of the Bulge and did time in a POW camp. It messed him up physically. He was one of those walking skeletons you always see in the war documentaries.
    Because of him, your family and countless others over the years, we have it pretty good.

I have to share an incident that literally just happened. I run the shipping, receiving and mail service for a large company's home office. A young millennial aged girl came to the mail window and wanted me to post mark something with today's date. I told here we can't do that but they could do it at the post office, unfortunately the post office is closed today due ti the holiday. ( I have 3 signs up stating that fact along with a thank you for your service quote) She asked what holiday and I said Veterans Day. She said "whats that" but in an annoyed kind of who just farted look on her face.
    I wanted to choke her, but being taught manners and respect for other peoples right to behave like jack asses by good parents, I explained what Veterans Day was. I said that the holiday recognizes all that have served this country in military service in war and protection roles to keep us safe and give us the freedom we enjoy today. She looked at me kind of weird and I said you are enjoying one of those freedoms right now. She said how, I said the freedom of speech we have allows you to ask totally ignorant questions like the one you just asked me. She said we didn't learn about that in school. I said she should read a history book or better still, more your speed would be to google Veteran's Day I weep for the future sometimes.

Cheers to all our BA Veterans and all Vets and Vets to be. God Bless you all especially my Dad who I miss everyday and Ralph Felice in Geneva, NY, my Dad's buddy that went through concentration camp with him. Ralph is still giving it hell and there are not many left of his generation.

Shanex, Trull, EMH73 and 9 others like this.
  30. mickyge

mickyge Savant (948) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

That's a happy ending to a horrible situation Sir. I'd raise a glass of Voodoo Ranger to your 46 years and service if I had one.:wink:

EMH73, scream and PapaGoose03 like this.
  31. nc41

Trader

Wow, POW is a really tough deal, damn he’s seen hell.

mickyge likes this.
  32. russpowell

Trader

That M-16 barrel at the back of your neck, not recommended...

beergoot likes this.
  33. russpowell

Trader

That was going through hell for sure. I am in awe of that generation's sacrifice

PapaGoose03 and mickyge like this.
  34. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (250) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Hey 19
    No we can't dance together
    No we can't talk at all
    Please take me along when you slide on down.

Hey 19
    That's 'Retha Franklin
    She don't remember the Queen of Soul
    Hard time befall the Soul Survivors.

BTW Giessen Germany 76 to 79 in an 8" unit 2nd Bn 92nd FA.
    30 months of basic hell. Partys all night long!

russpowell and PapaGoose03 like this.
  35. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,216) Jan 6, 2014 New York

My parents met in Fairbanks, Alaska and I was born at Ft. Wainwright, so I literally wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for the US Armed Forces, in particular the Air Force.

One parent came from Queens looking to leave an abusive and alcoholic father (he always jokes that he couldn’t wait to go to Vietnam to get the hell out of his house, my grandfather was a real bastard) and my other parent left Germany to find the American Dream in Redondo Beach leaving behind a father she never knew (or met) with my grandmother who’s one of the toughest ladies you could ever meet. She fits every German stereotype you can imagine.

Veterans Day always means something to my family and every shlub like me who’s never served should be grateful that guys and girls like you have. I’m gonna raise a pint to you all in WBAYDN later. Thank you.

TrojanRB, Shanex, EMH73 and 6 others like this.
  36. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,360) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society

Cheers to my paternal grandfather, a cook in the US Army during WWI and recipient of a Purple Heart with an Oak Leaf Cluster and a Silver Star. One might ask how a lowly private would get a medal, let alone a Silver Star! Apparently, his unit was surrounded and he was running out of provisions to feed his fellow soldiers when he might have said "Fuck this shit, let's roll!" or something to that effect. He had a metal plate put in his head over 100 years ago from his last injury, came home to NJ, started a family, and in 1934 left his family (my dad (10), his sister (12), and my grandmother) never to be seen again.
    He was still a hero nonetheless...

Cheers to my Dad, a special forces paratrooper in WWII.
    [​IMG]
    This small grouping belonged to Corporal Vincent Vienckowski who served in the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment during WWII and consists of his paratrooper armband, flag patch, 17th Airborne Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, and Paratrooper wings. He entered service in April, 1943, and earned his wings while training at Camp Toccoa, Georgia, in August, 1943. He and his unit sailed for Italy in May of 1944 and first saw combat as regular Infantry during the Italian campaign. They were eventually relieved and transferred to spearhead Operation Dragoon in August 1944, the invasion of Southern France. Vienckowski jumped in two hours ahead of the main parachute landings with the Pathfinder group whose mission was to set up radar equipment to direct the troop carrier planes accurately over the drop zone. He was wounded in this operation and received the Purple Heart as well as the Bronze Star medal for heroic achievement. During this battle, he was wearing the armband pictured. In the Battle of the Bulge, Vienckowski and the 517th PIR were again used as regular Infantry. He was wounded for a second time during this campaign and received an Oak Leaf Cluster to his Purple Heart. For his service overseas, he had five bronze battle stars, bronze arrowhead for the invasion of Southern France, the Combat Infantryman Badge, as well as the Good Conduct Medal. Corporal Vienckowski passed away in 1988 at the age of 64.

Cheers to my Brother Jim, who's job with the catapult and arresting gear on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier CVA-63 Kitty Hawk during the Vietnam War led to a 15 year losing fight with cancer from the numerous Agent Orange payloads he came in close contact with. He passed at the age of 57.

Lastly, to all combat veterans for their service,
    :beers:
    Cheers!!!

37. 25Comical

25Comical Initiate (42) Oct 3, 2017 Illinois

Stopped at The Rock early 88 to hit the PX while in the area for a FTX. Probably passed by you at Graf or Hohenfels.
    i was Army 86-90. 8th ID and 101st. My dad was at Leyte Gulf as a medic in the Navy. I grew up in a town full of veterans. The most famous being Admiral James Stockdale who was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for 7 years. Most of those WW2 and Vietnam vets were just regular hard working guys like my dad who carried some deep scars from all they'd seen.

38. russpowell

Trader

Your Dad was a certified Badass. Sorry to hear about your Brother. to this day I still meet Vets still dealing with Agent Orange after effects. Very sad.

bobv and EMH73 like this.
  39. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,959) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

My great aunt actually was an Army nurse in the Philippines during WW II. She was stationed there during the liberation.

She told a story of one night she was patrolling the nurse's quarters, when she saw a Japanese soldier there. She shot him, but he fled.

Shanex, bobv, russpowell and 2 others like this.
  40. nc41

Trader

Damn, amazing how crazy this stuff can get. Philippines were difficult, Okinawa a nightmare. Amazing what young people can do, but right now most can’t tie their own shoes.

TrojanRB, Shanex, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.