Victory announces two new beers. Dirtwolf (IIPA) & Winter Cheers

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by HokiesandBeer, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

http://www.victorybeer.com/news/vic...nounced-changing-autumn-and-winter-offerings/

Victory Is Brewing … New Beers Announced, Changing Autumn and Winter Offerings

posted on August 12, 2013 in
    DOWNINGTOWN, PA – Victory® Brewing Company (Victory) is pleased to announce several additions to its lineup of packaged beers hitting the market this fall, including a new year-round offering, DirtWolfTM Double IPA, and holiday seasonal ale, Winter CheersTM. The brewery also will return an old fan favorite to the market, Old Horizontal®, after a hiatus in 2012 and 2011.
    Known for melding traditional styles and unique concepts to produce the highest quality, full flavored beers, Victory’s newest brand releases will continue this standard of innovation and excellence.
    [​IMG]
    Wildly assertive, intentionally untamed and dangerously satisfying, DirtWolf Double IPA is the culmination of Victory’s double IPA series experiment with whole flower American-grown hops. With two-row German malts and a well-balanced combination of whole flower Citra, Chinook, Simcoe and Mosaic hops, this 8.7% abv brew blends the powerful citrus aroma and fruity flavors, with the piney, earthy and mildly floral characteristics found in these intriguing hop varieties. Replacing Victory’s Hop Wallop® Ale, which will take a hiatus from the market for the time being, DirtWolf Double IPA will launch the brewery’s entry into four-packs when it begins to hit markets in October.
    “So a wolf and a prospector walked into a bar…,” joked President and Brewmaster, Bill Covaleski. “No, in all seriousness, Hop Wallop will be missed, but isn’t necessarily gone forever. We developed that brand 10 years ago as our flavorful response to the hop-bomb vogue of the time. But as brewers who enjoy experimenting with beer styles and ingredient varieties, we looked for the opportunity to do other interesting recipes as time passed. Making the decision to put Hop Wallop aside for a few years allows us to bring this delicious new double IPA, DirtWolf, to the market in bottles.”
    [​IMG]
    Light in body with a soothing texture, Winter Cheers is a stark contrast from the pungent punch of DirtWolf. A wheat ale, combining German wheat and barley malts, oats, torrified wheat and whole flower Tettnang and Citra hops, this fruity and warming holiday brew delivers a refreshing finish, with spicy hints of banana, clove and citrus. At 6.7% abv, this beer will fuel “festive times and chase winter’s chill,” and will be available in 12 oz. bottles (six-packs) and on draft, beginning distribution in October as well.
    Barleywine fans also will enjoy the return of Victory’s Old Horizontal, hitting shelves again in November of this year, this time in 22 oz. bottles. With floral, fruity aromas and lingering sensations of candied and citrus fruit, the late warming effect of this 11% abv brew delivers a harmonious finish.
    “Our fans have spoken, and we were listening,” Covaleski continued, addressing demand for the return of Old Horizontal by many Victory-faithful. “As we look toward the completion of our second brewery in Parkesburg, fans can expect several of our vacationing brands to make a return, along with many new and exciting recipes and styles.”
    Other notable fall releases from Victory include:
    • Victory Festbier®, the award-winner malty Märzen style fall seasonal, making its way into markets now, in 12 oz. bottles and on draft.
    • Red ThunderTM, the returning wine barrel-aged Baltic ThunderTM hitting the market in mid-August. Available in 750 ml bottles and on draft.
    • Storm King® Stout, repackaged and available in four-packs and on draft in October.

2. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Zealot (538) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

I got into the game with Victory's beers, and sadly, over time have drifted away. I'm excited to delve back into them now. Although not all that excited about emerging 4 packs? Hopefully the price lines up alright.

3. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

eek, i *still* haven't tried fresh hop wallop and it's going away :slight_frown:.

dirtwolf sounds like it could be pretty good. ridiculous name.

PSU_Mike and HokiesandBeer like this.
  4. HokiesandBeer

I hear ya about the four pack for Dirtwolf but I really like the sound of the hop profile. I'm a big fan of mosaic.

5. MusicaleMike

MusicaleMike Defender (670) Mar 17, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yeah, I am really excited to try these out! I've had some of their one-off DIPA's and they've been really amazing, beautiful beers. No idea what to expect from the Winter Cheers....

HokiesandBeer likes this.
  6. HokiesandBeer

Yeah I really enjoyed their Ranch beers. I'm not sure what to expect from Winter Cheers either, I'm a fan of Golden Monkey but not much of a fan of their Swing session.

7. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Disciple (385) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

I drank a lot of Victory brews when I lived on the East Coast but got away from them since moving west even though they are available here. Definitely gonna go get me a Hop Wallop before its gone and will definitely be back to try these newbies. Looking forward to them!

8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,952) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah- maybe they're using a weird font where the 'e' looks like a 't'.
    I dunno if it's wise to use the word 'dirt' in your beer's name, but at least nobody will steal it. :wink:

Geuzedad likes this.
  9. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

Why does Winter Cheers and Swing Saison look like rejected Sunny Delight labels?

10. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

A case of Red Thunder might be in my future. Love that stuff, as does my girlfriend

11. redmaw

redmaw Initiate (180) Jun 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

hmmm no mention of moonglow. Does anyone know if they are bottling it this year?

12. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yep, I will be trying these. I also had no idea Old Horizontal had not came out either of these past two years. That makes the bottle I have that I bought last year... awkward.

troegaarden and Geuzedad like this.
  13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,880) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I have to say I'm disappointed in Victory. A double IPA and a wheat beer? This is stuff they tackled way back before the "craft boom". I would have liked to see another German style (maybe another Munich Helles, or if they wanted to cater to a larger crowd, a hefeweizen) or maybe something English (a mild, a bitter, maybe a true-to-style English Pale Ale to compliment Headwaters).

Maybe the winter offering will be interesting, but jeez, another double IPA is not what we need from our large craft breweries.

FinbarrSaunders likes this.
  14. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,455) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Excited to try the new DIPA and for the return of Old Horizontal. I do hope the 4 packs will not be the same price as the old 6 packs.

SawDog505 and Stignacious like this.
  15. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,455) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Since it's a barley wine that just means it came already aged.

16. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Old Horizontal has a best by date 5 years out from bottling.

17. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,634) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I really like the DirtWolf label.. and Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe hops? count me in..

GetMeAnIPA, Icarus, SawDog505 and 5 others like this.
  18. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I was just thinking about the poor quality artwork on those labels. It seems like the Swing Saison and Winter Cheers labels seem more appropriate on a greeting card at a Hallmark store than on a beer.

I've missed Old Horizontal, though, and am excited about it coming back. So good with about a year of age on it!

RobertColianni likes this.
  19. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

Oh I'm not worried about that, I more just meant from "Whoops, didn't know as much as I thought I did!" standpoint. That tidbit of info by default makes it the oldest thing I have (I'm still kind of new to this) and I didn't even mean for it to happen. Heh.

20. HokiesandBeer

Except Dirtwolf sounds nothing like Hop Wallop. Sure they are both double IPA's but Hop Wallop is more of the old school pine hop bomb while DirtWolf will be hopped using citra & mosaic (among others) which will give it a much more tropical fruity flavor. I can't wait to try it.

VictorWisc and Centennial like this.
  21. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

Gonna miss hop wallop, but I definitely want to dip my balls in dirtwolf.

22. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I've been waiting patiently for the return of Old Horizontal and you put it in bombers? Lame.
    Storm King now in 4-packs?! Pfft, fail.

Perfect timing though cause Flying Dog now has Horn Dog and Gonzo in 6-packs.

Centennial likes this.
  23. Cyrion

Cyrion Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2013 Virginia

It sounds like they are trying to answer the question, "Is it acceptable to make a winter-specific wheat beer, and if so, what would it taste like? I would have anticipated flavors like cinnamon or cranberry, but they're leaning toward a summery hefe profile. Um, what?

24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Looking forward to trying it, love the Citra hops, an interesting mix of hops given Mosaic and Simcoe are so similar. Mosaic seems to be the in hop right now, I had an all Mosaic hop IPA and didn't like it a bit, way to much of the cat piss for my taste.

25. Stinkypuss

Stinkypuss Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dirtwolf. Ooooooohhh! Boom goes the dynamite!

26. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Victory is my favorite brewery, but I don't like this. I'm okay with them rolling out DirtWolf, even thought that's a hilariously awful name, but leave my HopWallop alone. Then, to make it worse, it's in a four pack. You know damn well that a four pack of DirtWolf will be the same price as a HopWallop sixer.

Moving Storm King to four packs, which I also assume will remain the same price, also sucks.

Glad to hear about the return of Old Horizontal, but I very rarely can bring myself to buy bombers.

Winter Cheers? Maybe when I taste it I'll understand, but how is a "refreshing" and "fruity" wheat beer a winter beer?

I'll be grabbing a few cases of Festbier though. Love that stuff.

Oh well. In Victory I trust.

ChipMurray, Pahn, Stignacious and 3 others like this.
  27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Hop Wallop was tough to get fresh here, and if it's not fresh it sucks and when it sucks it moves even slower. And the cycle continues. I like Hop Wallop, I grew up about an hour from Downingtown, and I've never been to the brewery. But it was never a top buy down here, the competition is pretty fierce in this quality/price /availability price range.

28. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (2,162) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Sounds like Hop Wallop is just going on a temporary hiatus.

29. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

i liked hop wallop a lot but it was never something that i went out of my way for. definitely will try dirtwolf

30. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

I made an IPA using mostly Chinook (bittering, late addition, dry-hop) plus some Mosaic dry-hop. It was my best brew yet. I want to try DirtWolf and hope I can find it here in IL. If not maybe I'll have to try my hand at a clone!

31. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (802) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

I'll definitely be giving Dirtwolf (what a name...) and Winter Cheers a try, but, like seemingly everyone else, I am not excited about the switch to four-packs. One of my favorite things about Storm King was that it was an incredible imperial stout in six-packs. Now that that's out the window, I guess I'll just have to hope the price sinks from the $13 it used to be around here. If it competes with Sierra Nevada Narwhal (and WI actually gets a shipment of Narwhal this year...), I'll be immensely pleased; if it stays in the $11-$13 range, count me out.

32. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Going to miss Hop Wallop, but Dirt Wolf sounds like it'll be pretty good...

33. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

If DirtWolf is anything like Liberty Bell Ringer I will be a happy man!

34. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

yes please !! :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

35. Snowdog

Snowdog Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Not sure what is up at Victory, big fan of their beers though. These new ones sound pretty interesting. Not thrilled with them not bottling Moonglow or bombers only for Old Horizontal. :astonished:

TongoRad likes this.
  36. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I never tried Hop Wallop on account of how distasteful I find Hop Devil, but a citra and chinook hopped beer sounds great. I am however extremely disappointed that Old Horizontal is only in bombers. Nope, wont do it. I have too many bomber barleywines as is and one of the best parts about Horizontal was the relatively cheap price for a vertical.

37. troegaarden

troegaarden Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I enjoyed Wallop a lot, especially since I was so close to the brewery during college, but dang people please don't get rid of the Ranch series! Not sure about this Winter Cheers deal, but I'm sure it'll be worth trying. Plus, I need to try Old Horizontal, Baltic and now the Red Thunder. I had the Oak Horizontal that I got from a buddy who works in the merch store and enjoyed that guy :slight_smile:

38. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

No more Hop Wallop? Storm King in four packs? Why Victory, why are you doing this too me?

nickapalooza86 and IPAIsaac like this.
  39. cjoc83

cjoc83 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania

Dirtwolf definitely sounds interesting, but that Winter Cheer sounds... Odd. A fruity wheat beer does not make me think of winter.

The switch in bottle sizes is disconcerting... I assume they're trying to increase profit margins to help pay for the set-up cost of the new production facility? Either way, Storm King should remain in sixers and OH should remain in 750s. I don't mind the new IIPA being a 4 pack as long as it's not overpriced. Hopefully (not holding my breath on this though) the prices for SK and OH go down slightly with the smaller formats. Not that I buy either regularly anyways (old Horizontal especially is way too sweet), but I hate to see breweries "repackage" a beer in smaller bottles and try to sell it for the same price.

Agreed on the Winter Cheer label art... Almost as bad as Swing.

Centennial likes this.
  40. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

I'm glad for the return of Old Horizontal, but does anyone know where Helios has gone? I haven't seen that in forever. It's such a great price/quality ratio beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.