Release Victory Brewing Company Introduces Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by RonMexico, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonMexico

RonMexico Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

DOWNINGTOWN, PA, October 30, 2013 - Victory® Brewing Company (Victory) is pleased to announce a new seasonal offering, Hop Ranch® Imperial India Pale Ale. The third new release for the brewery this year, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale will be available in four-packs and on draft from December 2013 to February 2014.

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory's Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

From the Ranch series, Victory developed its recently released DirtWolfTM Double IPA, as well as the wildly popular 2013 Philadelphia Beer Week exclusive, Liberty Bell Ringer. Making use of the favored Mosaic hop and, at the time, the unnamed #483 hop, Liberty Bell Ringer was very well received. This prompted Victory's Brewmasters to revisit and fine-tune that recipe, resulting in the seasonal Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale. Still using Mosaic and hop #483, now named Azacca, as well as German malts, this 9.0% ABV brew's name salutes the American hop ranchers who cultivate exciting, high quality new varieties while maintaining impeccable standards of tradition.

“We knew we had something special in our Liberty Bell Ringer, but we were restless to experiment further. We chose to work with the recipe a bit, adjusting subtle flavors before we arrived at what we think is the impressive, in-your-face character embodied in Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale,” said President and Brewmaster, Bill Covaleski. “We appreciate the hop ranchers who make it possible for us do what we love to do, and in turn, hope our fans appreciate this new seasonal brew.”

[​IMG]

About Victory Brewing Company
    Victory Brewing Company is a privately held craft brewery headquartered in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. Founded by Bill Covaleski and Ron Barchet, childhood friends who met on a school bus in 1973, the brewery formally began operations in February of 1996. Victory, Pennsylvania's widely acclaimed brewery and restaurant, now serves fans of fully flavored beers in 30 states with innovative beers melding European ingredients and technology with American creativity. To learn more about Victory Brewing Company visit us on the web at www.victorybeer.com.

#1 RonMexico, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
    Omnium, spartanfan and Pahn like this.
  2. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (183) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

I can't wait. I like Dirt Wolf, but loved LBR. Hopefully this leans more towards LBR.

Omnium and victory4me like this.
  3. basics

basics Initiate (78) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Always glad to try new beers and I've never had anything bad from Victory.

Omnium and BPGEFL like this.
  4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

This ranch moniker makes me a little uneasy, my previous experience with the Ranch DIPA was not pleasant. The beer literally smelled like a dirty gym sock, it did not taste much better. If Dirt Wolf was developed as part of the Ranch series maybe there is hope.

5. JustBill

JustBill Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Vermont

Anxious to try, but would much rather see a low ABV version of either of these new doubles...

6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'm curious to hear about more beer using Azacca hops, which appear to be very new. I think Ninkasi is releasing a single hopped Azacca IPA soon.

Anybody know what flavors characteristics that variety brings?

7. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I don't think this is so much to "replace" Hop Wallop, since this is a seasonal, available over a 3-month period.

fmccormi likes this.
  8. BPGEFL

BPGEFL Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Virginia

Victory doesn't make a bad beer IMO. Everything they put out is stellar.

YamBag likes this.
  9. basics

Beer Trader

They've always been nearly great with all of their stuff, always kind of tagging along behind stone and SN. I hope this push of releases kind of puts them over the edge. Dirtwolf has given them a lot of cred I think. I'm excited to try the winter wheat beer as well.

HokiesandBeer and BPGEFL like this.
  10. YamBag

Tagging behind all the great lagers Stone and SN make???

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,005) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I had a draft Victory Hop Ranch and then a draft Stone’s Best By a few weeks ago. FWIW, I preferred the Victory Hop Ranch over the Best By.

Another tasty beer from Victory!

Cheers to Victory!!

12. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Aspirant (202) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I've yet to be really impressed at all by Victory. HopDevil and Headwaters both have an off taste to me, Golden Monkey is meh, storm king is super weak, hop wallop also did not impress me, though most of their beer seems to stay on shelves forever around here and their dating printer is horrible so I've only had that one or two times.
    Now DirtWolf was pretty darn good, nothing over the top good, but at $9.99 at the cheapest place for a 4-pack? Wheres my Sucks at $10.99 a 6'er?

13. basics

Beer Trader

I mean Hop Devil and Headwaters are rated very well. Hop Devil is unique for me in that it's just spicey unlike any other IPA. Headwater is always out of date which is the problem, it should be a seasonal. And the same thing with Storm King, it's got a 92, so I don't know what to tell you, if you don't like hoppy Impy Stouts then I guess it's not your thing. Hop Wallop again, 92 rating.

I get what you mean though, Victory just doesn't stand out for some reason. They're always solid but not at the top or even a go to sixer. I hope this new stuff they're putting out gives them a new identity and I think they're doing that purposefully and I hope it works and allows them to do even more.

edit: golden monkey sucks, and is a "get drunk with some taste beer"

14. idkspencer

idkspencer Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Florida

The name is the only thing I'm worried about. "Hop Ranch" sounds like a hoppy salad dressing taste to me, nothing beats the HW moniker. I bet it'll be delicious though:slight_smile:)

spartanfan and JT99125 like this.
  15. BPGEFL

BPGEFL Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Virginia

Have you tried their Summer Love seasonal? Best summer beer out there IMO. Prima Pils needs to be mentioned too, as it is the best craft pilsner I've tried. If you haven't tried these two, don't overlook Victory just yet.

16. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,459) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

This beer is Liberty Bell Ringer, just slightly tweaked for bigger production. It is not one of the previous "Ranch" beers. Confusing, yes. But absolutely delicious!!

17. VitoFerrante

VitoFerrante Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

I bet Ranch will taste like Dirt Wolf which tastes like Hop Wallop. Which means Ranch will taste like Wallop... Just kidding folks!!!!!!!

18. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

You and I score much differently on word assocation tests.

"Hop Ranch" sounds like I'm walking into the door of the Bunny Ranch to me. :wink:

JT99125 likes this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,267) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Pretty typical for a US hop farm to be called a "Hop Ranch" - here's a mid-20th century ad from S.S. Steiner (< click on the link, and one of these hop ranches still exists in Washington state).

[​IMG]

fmccormi likes this.
  20. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (540) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

It's trademarked by the American Dwarf Hop Association which also created Summit hops. I wonder if the Azacca is a next generation Summit? not much info out there.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  21. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (465) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

So, you've drank old versions of their hoppy beers and not been impressed. That's not very surprising. Your disdain for DirtWolf seems price-centric. That's unfortunate. Golden Monkey is probably the worst beer they make, though, so no argument there. It seems to be best used as an alcohol delivery system that's usually very cheap around here on tap for the alcohol content.

Headwaters and HopDevil fresh are good beers, but nothing to write home about. Their Pilsners are where they really show off. Prima and pretty much any of the Braumeister series are all excellent beers. And Uncle Teddy's Bitter is perhaps the best cask beer ever made. And no I'm not exaggerating. OK, maybe a little. But not much.

22. opothecary

opothecary Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2009 New York

The most expensive I've seen DirtWolf is $8.99. Sells for ~$50/case here.

WhiteJordan likes this.
  23. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (540) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

I kept thinking of Warwick Davis as Willow (and he's british), but it's true. it does exist.

http://adha.us/

I had what was just labeled as Victory Ranch on draft about 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it. looking for more ranch.

24. opothecary

opothecary Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2009 New York

The funny thing is, I came at Victory through Golden Monkey first. I still enjoy it, but eventually found my love for hops.

I think people could call it their "worst" because it's so different from everything else that they're known for. I think it's a pretty good American take a on a tripel, but since it seems like so many people like their big beers in IPA or stout form, it gets overlooked...I think most people that enjoy that style probably aren't seeking it out from a brewery like Victory.

25. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (511) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Can't wait to get this one. Victory is on a roll at the moment.

HokiesandBeer and WhiteJordan like this.
  26. kneary13

kneary13 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

Stone and SN brew ales, not lagers. Same with Victory.

27. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Zealot (536) Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

I can remember when Hop Devil and Storm King were the top rated IPA and Impy Stout on this site.... Victory always solid.

Jimmys and HokiesandBeer like this.
  28. YamBag

IMO, Victory really s
    Victory brews both ales and lagers and is probably Better known for their lagers.

29. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (4,654) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Victory is rather well know for making a large amount of lagers, where most brewers don't touch the various lager styles. Hell, Victory has the Braumeister Pils series where they made small batches of pilsners each using different hops, to highlight how each individual hops affected the pils.

BPGEFL likes this.
  30. WhiteJordan

WhiteJordan Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Washington
    Beer Trader

We've been getting draft of a beer called "Ranch R IIPA." Wonder if it's the same beer/recipe. I think the person behind their latest few beers has an amazing understanding of hop profiles. Prima Pils is probably the best non traditional American pilsner.

Off topic: Great Username OP HAHA

HokiesandBeer likes this.
  31. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I really wish they'd try harder with their labels. We're adults here, stop with these overly cheesy labels.

32. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

loved the ranch IPAs in bars, love dirtwolf.

in particular, love the malt profile. it's as hoppy as the big VT / CA beers, but the malt backbone actually has some character, at least in dirtwolf (the ranch beers i remember were pedal to the medal hops).

anyway, i bet this will be great. /ramble

what would you prefer? unsimulated sex pic? graphic violence? old guy in fez smoking cigar?

fmccormi and spartanfan like this.
  33. MisSigsFan

Beer Trader

I don't know, just something simpler maybe? All of their labels are really cartoonish and all over the place font wise.

34. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

on that note, funniest beer label in recent memory:

[​IMG]

seems to have been culled directly from scrapbooking template software from 1995.

brandoneast likes this.
  35. mythaeus

mythaeus Champion (832) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The Ranch is DELICIOUS! Had in from a fresh growler. It's better than the Dirtwolf (I only had Dirtwolf from bottle though). It's great news that they are finally bottling it.

36. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,291) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

SN brews some nice lagers. Summerfest, the retired Glisade, Octoberfest for their Octoberfest party, and others that show up in the taproom. They even won a Gold at the 2010 WBC for their German Pils.

Most beers are ales with the Chico yeast, but they know how to make a nice lager.

kneary13 and fmccormi like this.
  37. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I agree with you on Winter's Cheer, their Saison Swing and to a small degree Hop Ranch but I disagree with the rest. IMO Dirtwolf and Storm King both look bad ass and even Prima Pils still looks good.

spartanfan likes this.
  38. MisSigsFan

Beer Trader

Hop Wallop looked ridiculous.

39. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I agree but it's no longer with us so I didn't mention it.

40. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

I wouldn't say that. I see those ridiculously labeled Hop Wallops still sitting on shelves in most stores I frequent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.