Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Victory Brewing Company, Veterans In A Field Of Craft Novices, Preps For Expansion

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by tolar111, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

from the article:

That's surprising - I'd have thought HopDevil was Victory's best selling beer, or at least, among their top 3.

I think the author is mis-reading the Brewers Association's stats page on the number of craft and non-craft breweries here. There haven't been 51 non-craft "brewers" - i.e., separate brewing companies - in the US since the 1970's.

Currently, the BA lists 22 "Large Non-Craft Breweries" (which are obviously mostly the individual breweries with production over 6m bbl. that are operated by the Big Two- AB and M-C) and 29 "Other Non-Craft Breweries" which would include breweries like the partially AB-owned CBA breweries (Redhook, Widmer, Kona), outright macro-owned breweries like Leinenkugel and Goose Island, the 3 City breweries (La Crosse, Latrobe, Memphis) the 3 Yuengling breweries (2 in PA + Tampa, FL), the two Mendocino-owned breweries (owned by UB, which is now partially owned by Heineken), etc.
  2. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Hop Wallop??? I thnk the author has it wrong there. I don't think the situation has changed since this was written:

And while I don't have statistics at hand I'd bet that Headwater's Pale Ale outsells Hop Wallop based on what I see in stock at local distributors here in SEPA.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Yeah, I think he might just have confused HopDevil with Hop Wallop (which he calls an "IPA", which the brewery itself does not IIRC).
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Oddly enough, I distinctly remember that snowstorm in '96- and to think of what they were going through while I was having a blast...

I agree on the Hop Devil, it's gotta be that over a seasonal like Hop Wallop.

No mention of when other beloved seasonals will make a repeat appearance, but I hope it's not too long for the Saints or Moonglow. Let's get brewing, guys!
  5. JimsArcade

JimsArcade Jan 20, 2004 Pennsylvania

Good article from such a mainstream site, though the error on Hop Wallop could've been easily avoided.

I'm looking forward their experiments and the return of old favorites like Old Horizontal, Moonglow, the Saints and especially WildDevil from the forthcoming Downingtown "test kitchen".
  6. HeyJim

HeyJim Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Cool article. They fixed the HopDevil/Hop Wallop error.
    Storm King was the first craft beer I ever had. It knocked me on my ass and opened my eyes at the same time.

Lately I've been seeking out a bunch of west coast and international beers, but I've made a mental note that my next endeavor is to try as much Pennsylvania beer as possible and support our local breweries. With Victory, Troegs, Penn, East End, SlyFox, Weyerbacher, Yards and Church Works, I have plenty of good options to keep me tasting for a good while.
    TongoRad likes this.
  7. JoeSatran

JoeSatran Oct 25, 2012 New York

Hey guys -- This is Joe Satran from HuffPost Food; I'm the one who wrote the piece. Thanks so much for the kind words; it means a lot that you guys like it! And yes, you were totally right about Hop Wallop. It was a mistake! But I fixed it this morning, as HeyJim noticed. Sorry for not getting it right on the first pass. I have to say, I didn't know the distinction between brewer and brewery pointed out in jesskidden's note -- I'll make that change too! Thanks a bunch for reading it so closely and for your eagle-eyed corrections. Cheers, Joe
    Tucquan likes this.
  8. chuckstout

chuckstout May 22, 2006 Ohio

Great news! Prima Pils is always in stock at my house.
  9. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Hop Wallop is no longer a seasonal. Its now year round.

Moonglow is available now. Going to pick up my case tomorrow. Have heard, however, that it is being shipped in bottles only to the immediate 5 county SEPA area.
  10. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Good news about Hop Wallop- I like that one (got some in my house right now, actually).

Lucky you! I did hear that about Moonglow- I thought it was draught only, actually- but that it was a temporary thing for this year only, until the expansion is on line. I hope it's back in NJ next time around. Also- the 5 counties doesn't include Lehigh, right? My sister shops at Abe's in Bethlehem, but it won't be available there, or so I heard.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!