Victory has placed a golden ticket into 2 cases of beer.

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by HokiesandBeer, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

So for the upcoming Philly Beer Scene Awards Victory Brewery has done a Willy Wonka style contest of placing a golden ticket into two cases of of Headwaters Pale Ale. Pretty cool idea.

Prize includes: Personal tour of Victory, VIP and backstage passes to the Best of Philly Beer Scene to mingle and meet tons of brewers, bar owners and other beer industry members, go onstage to present an award and have your tab picked up for the night.

http://www.phillybeerscene.com/2013/03/ive-got-a-golden-ticket-2/

Might have to grab a case of that today.

Willbfun likes this.
  2. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (579) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Brewery

Support the cleanup of the Brandywine River and try the most underrated beer that Victory brews. I know that most of you haven't had it, yet.

Nectar likes this.
  3. HokiesandBeer

I love the stuff.

4. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (338) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

How much do you want to bet that beer stores, while putting six packs on the shelf, find these tickets and keep them or auction them off.
    Unless they are 100% positive the 2 cases go to case stores only.

5. Stinkypuss

Stinkypuss Poo-Bah (4,069) Apr 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Good beer and idea. Victory delivers more than UPS

ColdOne and ChanChan like this.
  6. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

Wow, that is amazing. Go Victory! Go PA beer!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  7. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Very small probability since most places in PA sell it by the case without ever unsealing the case.

8. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Can you buy six packs in Philly? Last time I was in PA you had to buy a case and you had to buy it from a distributor.

9. dan027

dan027 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2011 Pennsylvania

Welcome to our nightmare.

RichardMNixon and Doc_Hops like this.
  10. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,990) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Huge misconception about distribution in PA. You just need to go to a store that sells six packs (there are a ton of them). Full cases are sold at distributors only, and that's all they can sell.
    Hardly a nightmare.

11. victory4me

victory4me Devotee (479) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

Highly unlikely since Victory cases sold at case stores are 1x24 (no 6 pack holders) and "cases" sold to bottle shops are 4x6.

12. dan027

compared to a lot of other states, the laws concerning the sale of alcohol in PA are ridiculous. If you live in the city, there may be a decent amount of bottle shops, but if you live in the suburbs, you're almost out of luck completely. Pizza shops and restaurants can sell take out beer but it's almost always WAY more expensive. Wegmans has been a major breakthrough but it is still nothing like many other states including all of our neighbors. AND you are limited to 172oz per purchase when not buying from a distributor. I have never heard a SINGLE person talk about this topic in a positive light.

13. ItsLaTrappe

ItsLaTrappe Initiate (0) May 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

PA BAs should read the link. It says it's on loose cases and even tells what counties the tickets will be distributed to. Looks like Philly area only. Makes me sad since I'm in Lancaster. :slight_frown:
    Headwaters is the real deal though for a pale ale.

rauchfest likes this.
  14. HokiesandBeer

While not positive it's still different from most people's perception of PA beer laws. Most people think that there is nowhere to buy six packs or individual bottles in PA. That's not the case. (Pun?)

dborginis likes this.
  15. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,989) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Beware of Slugworth..

MLeicht, Providence, mp19 and 3 others like this.
  16. ShanePB

Society Trader

Trust me, I'm not saying the laws are good or make sense; especially in 2013.

However, if I want a case of beer I drive to a distributor. OK, no big deal they're everywhere. I'll give you that 6-packs aren't as easy but there are plenty of places that sell 6-packs with ease. A few local grocery store chains (not including Wegmans) have begun selling bombers, 6-packs, 12-packs recently.

Also, the limit is 192 oz (not 172 oz) and all you need to do is walk to your car, and come back in. Not a big deal.

I don't know, I guess the limitations don't really bother me all that much. With the talk of the privatization it's only going to make things better for the consumer. We're not too far off. :wink:

RobertColianni likes this.
  17. dan027

haha, while it is not the case, it is incredibly frustrating, especially if you don't live in Philadelphia where there are apparently lots of bottle shops.

Good call, thankfully all my beer shopping takes place in Montgomery and Chester counties

18. HokiesandBeer

Family Guy did something similar to this years ago. Pretty funny.

19. dan027

Yeah that was a typo and my mistake, I'm normally as close to 192 as possible. And there has been a lot of talk, but hopefully you're right that it's not too far off. Unfortunately the only option out here in the sticks other than restaurants (super expensive) and pizza shops (poor selection) is Wegmans for the time being. At least they rock and get a variety of really good stuff, the harder to get items just don't seem to last long.

20. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Poo-Bah (1,966) Dec 13, 2008 Illinois
    Society

Very cool, enjoy their beers.
    Too bad, I have NEVER seen a case of Victory. :slight_frown:

21. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Disciple (398) Aug 28, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Giant Foods also sells beer. However, the only location I've found that does is the one in Harrisburg on Linglestown Road.

22. drtth

How will privatization of wine and liquor sales benefit beer consumers?

23. dan027

They are very slowly getting in on this game, there's also one in West Chester, but the laws are still too prohibitive to make it very easy.

24. dan027

I'd imagine competition mostly

25. ShanePB

Society Trader

Competition (driving down consumer prices) and accessibility (think: beer, wine and liquor all in one place! or more places - depending which licenses the establishments purchase).

26. drtth

Competition between wine and liquor stores for the sales of wine and liquor will get other stores that sell beer to lower their beer prices?

27. drtth

But privatization doesn't touch the beer system in place. It's already privatized. And there aren't many spare licenses for beer to go around so you won't see many with all three.

Edit: looks to me like a fair number of current beer distributors have got to go out of business for that to work.

28. Brew33

Brew33 Crusader (784) Oct 24, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

All I keep thinking about is how much different the reactions on here would be if Budweiser did this....

rauchfest likes this.
  29. dan027

I think the idea is that this would be a stepping stone to loosening up across the board.

ShanePB likes this.
  30. ShanePB

Society Trader

That is true; however, I believe they'll have first shot at purchasing additional licenses?
    Agreed. I don't think this is supposed to be a "quick fix" to anything.

31. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (194) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

PA case laws suck.

Victory Headwaters Pale Ale rocks. Probably by favorite pale ale.

Jaysus, JulianB and dan027 like this.
  32. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I like Headwaters. I pick it up when I see it. I don't need a prize to do so.

dan027 and rauchfest like this.
  33. rauchfest

rauchfest Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Pennsylvania

I would think that having security better than a Benghazi embassy they are only going in non six-pack cases.

34. drtth

35. ShanePB

Society Trader

36. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (4,489) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sucks it's Philly only if I found it here in a case in Pittsburgh I would totally make the trek for this Golden Opportunity. Best of luck to the locals!

37. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (579) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Brewery

I was about to make the same point.

38. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Any place that I cant buy a 6-pack of beer, a bottle of wine, and a liter of bourbon in the same store on Sunday afternoon has ridiculous laws.

dan027 and fuzzylogic like this.
  39. ShanePB

Society Trader

You can buy all of that on a Sunday afternoon here. Two separate stores, oh no! :grimacing:

40. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Yes, two stores is ridiculous.

fuzzylogic and dan027 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.