Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Victory Storm King Stout Now in Six Packs

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Sep 11, 2017.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I was happy to see this, digging the new label art too.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,016) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

@ESHBG, have you actually drank these 'new' Victory Storm King beers? Do they taste the same? Or, has 'something' changed akin to the release of Dirt Wolf in 6-packs?

Cheers!

StartedwithSAM and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  3. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Disciple (363) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

please put Old Ho back in 12 oz bottles.

4. ESHBG

Not yet, they were warm when I bought them and I will probably try later this week, I will report back after I do. Even though SKS is a hoppier stout I am going to go out on a limb here and say there won't be a noticeable difference like I found with DW, as I don't find most other beer styles to be as finicky as IPAs/DIPAs.

5. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I would appreciate reading your thoughts.
    FWIW I drank a Firestone Union Jack IPA last evening and that beer had a consistent flavor profile to all of the previous Union Jack beers that I have consumed (and there have been many over the years). It seems to me that commercial breweries are capable of consistently brewing IPAs/DIPAs. Maybe I should have the placed the word of "some" before commercial breweries in that prior statement?

Cheers!

LuskusDelph and ESHBG like this.
  6. HopNationUSA

HopNationUSA Initiate (112) Aug 14, 2017 Pennsylvania

Exciting. One my favorite Victory beers, I'll have to keep an eye out. Are they making their way to Pittsburgh? I don't want to just assume.

7. ESHBG

Okay will do!

Oh yeah for sure, many breweries can do them well and they hold up too. But with IPAs/DIPAs I have found that the taste profile can really change at different points in the aging process and it can be more noticeable than with some other styles. I am not too extreme with the freshness of I(D)PAs but I can understand and have experienced why it is best to drink them fresh.

8. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

My bet is on change.

Since Victory sold themselves the quality is a bit off and there are way too many misses and too few hits with new beers. Still a fan but even the last Prima in bottles I bought was a bit different than the cans I bought earlier in the summer.

The only thing that changes with 4v6 pack is the retail on the pack. The case price should stay the same.

Enjoy

9. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I wish that was the case. The best that I can respond is that when I noticed that Dirt Wolf became available in 6-packs it was a very different beer than before. Packaging the 'same' beer in 6-packs vs. 4-packs should result in zero difference in the beer you are drinking.
    Unfortunately my personal drinking experiences have similarity to what you are stating there. I would prefer to think that their sell-out to ABV would mean no changes to their brewing operations but unfortunately my palate is telling me something different. I really hope that my 'off' experiences are one time things but part of me says: why should there be 'off' experiences regardless of the specific ownership aspect?

The 'good news' is that there are many other local breweries that are consistently producing high quality product. I suppose my beer money will go to those numerous breweries vs. Victory?

Cheers!

10. scream

scream Disciple (395) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

haven't had any of their beers in a bit. I hope they will continue to be as good as in the past !

11. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (258) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Will they every bring Dark Intrigue back?

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  12. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (190) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

So they were in six packs, got switched to four packs, and now back to six packs... Yep makes sense. lol

13. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (348) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

The most irritating thing is here is they call it a stout. It's way more black IPA than any stout I've ever had.

14. zid

zid Champion (837) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

If Victory calls this beer a stout, and there is nothing about it that would disqualify it from being a stout (including hop level), then why should it bother you? Surely "stout" is a more legitimate term for a type of beer than "black IPA." I do agree however that it's an unusual beer in today's group of craft imperial stouts.

TongoRad and jmdrpi like this.
  15. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (492) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I drink a lot of Victory beer and I notice no difference in my beloved Prima comparing today versus the past few years. Same fantastic Pils and still remains one of my tops.

And the Hop Ranch I had on tap in July at the brewery was madness... Beyond good. Java Cask (and Rye variant) amongst others, as good as any top shelf BBA Stout.

No shortage or change, in my experience, coming from them post partnership with Southern Tier.

Jacobob10 and Hoos78 like this.
  16. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (234) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Java Cask might be my favorite BBA coffee stout. It's incredible...

17. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (49) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Agreed! Not as good, but similar to Founders Dark Penance.

18. ESHBG

@JackHorzempa I had two bottles and no change at all, in fact even a little better than I remember. I may age a bottle to see how it changes over time too.

Victory says in their video about the beer that it is kind of like a dark IPA (below starting at 0:25). But for me while yes, a little more hoppy than many other Stouts it still drinks like a Stout to me.

I wish Yakima Glory was still around, my palate would probably appreciate that beer more now than it could back then.

19. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (987) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks for video, excited to get some if it lands in AZ.

ESHBG likes this.
  20. tzieser

tzieser Champion (841) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The days of Future Past.....funny how they went from six packs to four packs and now back to four packs. Hopefully they will do this with Moonglow Weizenbock too and I also hope this is a sign of things to come around the industry (not holding my breath)

21. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Last year I finished drinking a case of 2010 Storm King. I'd say it's best at 1-2 years old. I wouldn't keep past the brewery's 5 year best by date, it does decline past then.

I was a big fan of Yakima Glory/Twilight, of the best beers they ever brewed.

ESHBG and drtth like this.
  22. jmdrpi

Subscriber

This is a dumb comment. Victory introduced this beer in either the late 90's or early 00's (it was added to the BA database in 2001), long before the term Black IPA came into popularity.

It's just a hoppy stout when fresh.

YamBag and dennis3951 like this.
  23. jmdrpi

Subscriber

I would rather them focus on Java Cask instead. Much better beer in my opinion.

24. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (997) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm almost positive that Moonglow is still in 6 packs. Definitely 12oz bottles. I want Old Horizontal back in 12oz bottles, it's like $8 a bottle now and it just collects dust.. it used to be $45 a case.

jmdrpi and tobelerone like this.
  25. ESHBG

Nope still in 4 packs, I picked some up last week.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  26. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (762) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Storm King had been a Stout long before some one came up with the marketing term "Black IPA" In fact it was once the #1 rated beer on this site.

27. AZBeerDude72

Just located at local Total Wine, $12.99 a six pack.
    [​IMG]

28. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (997) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I buy a case every year, makes little difference to me if it is 4 or 6 packs.

VABA likes this.
  29. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Just saw a picture of the new art. Too me it looks too cartoony - like an Angry Birds rip-off or something

TongoRad, DonicBoom, zid and 2 others like this.
  30. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (457) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Yeah, it kinda does...
    [​IMG]

TongoRad, Stout_Sabre, drtth and 2 others like this.
  31. ESHBG

I did not like the old label at all and like this one way better.

32. AZBeerDude72

[​IMG]

Just got a sixer, Total Wine has about 3-4 more for AZ folks... Cheers.

StartedwithSAM and ESHBG like this.
  33. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (253) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Supporter Subscriber

One man's beak is another man's pecker. I found the brew evolves nicely over time. Buy 12, drink one a month, whether you need it or not.

34. NewmansOwn

Cannot unsee that logo now... and whoever said this beer is a black IPA needs to go back to drinking pbr

jmdrpi and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  35. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (762) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

More than kinda,

36. ESHBG

I guess the people who brewed it need to go back to drinking PBR?!? :stuck_out_tongue:

37. NewmansOwn

Are you saying the people that brewed it call it a black IPA? It says imperial stout on the label.

38. ESHBG

Did you watch the video? My comment was tongue in cheek but the point is even the people who brewed it said they wanted to make more of a dark IPA and it is one of the hoppier Stouts I have ever had so if people think it is more Black IPA than Stout that's not a huge leap.

#38 ESHBG, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    RDMII and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  39. NewmansOwn

As was my comment. I must have missed the video... I still don't think making heavily hopping an imperial stout makes it and IPA. Just my 2 cents.

40. ESHBG

It doesn't, it makes it a Black IPA :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah I can see both sides of the coin here for sure and it's still a Stout to me too, just a hoppier one.

TongoRad, RDMII and NewmansOwn like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.