Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Victory White Monkey release 3/2/13

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by HokiesandBeer, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

DOWNINGTOWN, PA – Victory Brewing Company brewmasters, Ron Barchet and Bill Covaleski, are extending the family of Victory beers to include White Monkey, a white wine barrel aged version of the brewery’s popular Belgian-style tripel, Golden Monkey. This limited edition release, bottled in corked 750ml bottles, will be offered to the public starting March 2, 2013.
    “Our Golden Monkey is beloved by many, so we anticipate some heartfelt responses to our intriguing transformation of this beer,” expressed Victory brewmaster Bill Covaleski. “The wine barrel aging has had a substantial and delicious impact on the Golden Monkey.”
    Approximately 100 oak barrels that once held chardonnay varietal white wine from Wente Vineyards of Livermore, CA were filled with Golden Monkey and aged at ambient temperatures in the Downingtown brewery for 3 months. This process is an extension of an experiment dating back 6 years prior, when a single oak barrel once holding white wine from local vintner, Chaddsford Winery, was used in a similar manner to produce a test batch which never left the brewery. Deemed delicious by Victory brewmasters and brewing staff, the White Monkey project was made possible through a collaborative partnership with Wente Vineyards.

Extending a streak of barrel aged Victory beers, White Monkey follows the November 2012 release of red wine barrel aged Baltic Thunder, dubbed ‘Red Thunder,’ and the December 2012 release of bourbon barrel aged Old Horizontal Barleywine, then emerging as ‘Oak Horizontal.’ Prior to these critically acclaimed, limited release offerings, Victory had offered a delicious version of it’s Storm King Stout aged in bourbon barrels which was named ‘Dark Intrigue’ in 2010 and 2011.
    Bottling will yield approximately 2,800 cases, making this beer available in the Victory distribution territories of Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, northern Virginia, New York City, Massachusetts South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Colorado and Florida.
    To celebrate this historic evolution of Victory’s #2 selling brew, the Downingtown brewpub will be hosting “In Like A Monkey” festivities on Saturday, March 2, which will include a special beer breakfast featuring dishes paired to both Golden Monkey and White Monkey. Restaurant and retail operations will open at 8am for case and bottle purchases of White Monkey.
    corby112 and Resuin like this.
  2. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Finally some news. I just asked a server at the brewpub on Monday about the release and they said February. I guess, close enough. I'm excited for this one.
  3. HokiesandBeer

Beer Trader

I think this will be a really nice beer. Can't wait to pick some up at the brewpub.
  4. ShanePB

Beer Trader

I'd like to pick them up at the brewpub, but they're always overpriced there which baffles me. I'll wait for them to show up at Whole Foods or something.
  5. HokiesandBeer

Beer Trader

True, probably better off just getting on draft at the brewpub and then wait for a bottle or two to hit Wegmans or something.
  6. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Nov 5, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yes!!! So excited for this!
  7. SPRichard

SPRichard Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

The sample of the 5 year old test batch I had a few months back was nice. Look forward to this one
  8. EvilAsh

Beer Trader

Excited for this on Saturday! Anyone else going?
  9. chcfan

chcfan Oct 29, 2008 California

As mentioned above, unless there's a very limited run of this, which is not Victory's style (and I appreciate that about these last few releases), there really is no need to go to the release unless you just want to get your bottles and hang out at the pub that day. The last three BA beers they've put out have been very easy to find at stores and for less than the brewpub price. It's common practice for brewers to charge a little more onsite so as not to undercut their retailers.
  10. phillyman

phillyman Jul 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

I had at recent Victory beer dinner. It was a hit with the people I was hanging out with. Lot's of Chardonnay

11. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is the 1 barrel release out of these most recent 3 that I will be passing on. Not a huge golden monkey fan. Not a huge white wine fan (especially chardonnay).
    cjoc83 likes this.
  12. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

Echoing what chcfan said - the previous 2 BA Victory releases are still floating around stores in Philly (and NJ as of a couple weeks ago), so I'd expect these to be easy to find in the coming weeks.
  13. PhillyTapFinder

PhillyTapFinder May 21, 2012 Pennsylvania

White Monkey will be on tap at Barcade on 3/7 at 4pm. I'll probably go to that. Swing Session will be there also.
  14. PhillyTapFinder

PhillyTapFinder May 21, 2012 Pennsylvania

15. cjoc83

cjoc83 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I definitely echo this sentiment. I used to love Golden Monkey, and used to drink it quite frequently, especially when I was working as a server at Victory. But that was years ago, and palettes change. It's not just GM, tripels in general don't interest me anymore. But I am very glad to see Victory finally doing more BA beers (the Oak Horizontal was amazing), and at very reasonable prices. Can't wait to see what's up next!
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  16. baybum

baybum Feb 10, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

So you know this release should be more on par with Red Thunder. I was told that they do have a good supply and it will go out to distribution, but not as much as they had of Oak Horizontal. So you will find it but it won't br around as long on shelves.

If anyone else is going and has a reservation and have a open spot or two shoot me a BM. I called last night and they are not taking any more reservations, but you can come and get a glass of it.
  17. chcfan

They still had a few cases of Red Thunder at the distro I stopped by last Friday in another empty-handed search for Genny Bock. Granted, it did move from bottle shops quickly. I'm just saying I'm not about to wait up to two hours line in the cold for this beer like I did for Dark Intrigue. Golden Monkey is more popular than Storm King and they do a good job of advertising releases at the pub, which hundreds of people go to every night. I could see there being a monster line.
  18. colty42

colty42 Nov 14, 2011 District of Columbia

Did anybody attend the release party yesterday? If so, how was the beer itself? And does anybody know when this is supposed to start hitting shelves, specifically in the NOVA/DC/MD area?
  19. ShanePB

Beer Trader

I'm curious when it will hit distro in the SEPA area. I've asked Victory on Twitter a few times with zero response.
  20. rotsaruch

rotsaruch Jun 18, 2002 Pennsylvania

This might help you. It's a link from Victory's website.

21. ShanePB

Beer Trader

I'll keep an eye on it, thanks. Looks like there's no information yet on White Monkey there.
  22. baybum

Beer Trader

The release went well, a few issues but nothing that bad. Line was probably 100 but moved fast. Went in and got a table had breakfast and got to try white monkey before buying any. You could have shown up at 10 and walked right in a bought beer with a short wait. Table was probably a longer wait. A lot of cases were going out the door.
  23. baybum

Beer Trader

FYI - Victory retail store says they have lots of it for sale still.
    ShanePB likes this.
  24. ShanePB

Beer Trader

How much were they per bottle at the brewery?
  25. baybum

Beer Trader

I believe they were $8 but we didn't buy any...
  26. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

guess that means you didn't like it....? =/
  27. fbc24

fbc24 May 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

and not the good kind of :p
  28. chcfan

^I forgot to mention the other reason why it probably wasn't worth lining up for - dammit, Victory! I'll still buy a bottle becuase there's no way to know for sure, but just damn. In general, I don't think they're that great in the ale department, but there's no reason why BA Storm King and BA Golden Monkey (I know there's a lot of disagreement on GM) shouldn't be at least solid. They need to hire a full time -bal guy. I -bal juggler if you will.
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  29. EvilAsh

Beer Trader

I enjoyed it on draft at the breakfast, so I picked up some bottles to take home.
  30. chcfan

On second thought, I think '-bal handler' would be a better title.
    xnicknj likes this.
  31. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Feb 25, 2009 New York

Yet they could not distribute any to WNY. Screw them.
  32. Resuin

Resuin Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anyone know when this will hit stores (or specifically stores in MA)?
  33. corby112

corby112 Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Has already arrived at stores in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. Not sure about MA.
  34. Squatchito

Squatchito Dec 6, 2007 Virginia

Should have hit VA this week, I am getting a case at my store tomorrow.
  35. andthevolcano

andthevolcano Apr 22, 2008 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Picked it up in Delaware today
  36. ColdOne

ColdOne Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Should be good timing for me to be traveling through PA this weekend.
  37. milo_leon

milo_leon Aug 25, 2012 New York

any updates on this?
  38. colty42

colty42 Nov 14, 2011 District of Columbia

Picked up two bottles at Whole Foods in Arlington. Haven't looked elsewhere, but I suggest taking a look at Victory's beer finder. That's how I found out Whole Foods had it in stock:

beerme85 likes this.
  39. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

There's a good amount of bottles at the Shaler GE for those in the Pittsburgh area. Well, there was close to a dozen when I was there on Friday anyway. $8.99 per.
  40. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

Wegmans KOP had a bunch on Friday, but that's to be expected. 8.99 each.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!