Video allegedly shows stadium vendor 'recycling' leftover beer, serving it to fans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,642) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/stadium-vendor-recycling-leftover-beer-serving-fans

Amendm, Ranbot, brutalfarce and 3 others like this.
  2. stevepat

stevepat Defender (688) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

wow in case you needed another reason not to drink corona

3. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,671) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

4. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,004) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

isn’t that the proper pour for corona?

5. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,439) Dec 25, 2003 California

No you pour it on the ground and then wash your glass.

Amendm, ErrFord, Roguer and 9 others like this.
  6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,736) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Now you know why they add a lime!
    LOL bottoms up!

(On a good note that same bucket was used to mop the bathrooms earlier, they wanted that Dank smell).

7. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (436) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Lol some of that pine-sol would be an improvement!

Amendm and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (588) Mar 28, 2009 California

As a consumer wouldn’t you see this? Like why is the concession pouring my beer from a cup and not the tap?

laketang likes this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,232) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Geez, you try to do something nice for the environment and everyone jumps down your throat. #zerowaste

10. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (873) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Reprehensible, hepatitis spreading filthy bastards.

Rot in hell...

colby600 and Milktoast75 like this.
  11. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (453) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Soccer stadium in Mexico? Consider the source. But do the math for shit’s sake. How much are they really saving / making? Their cost has got to be dirt fucking cheap.
    Just when you thought Coors Light was the low bar.

12. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (323) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Tariffs... maaaaaaaan.

13. AWA

AWA Aspirant (238) Jul 22, 2014 California

I hope who's ever responsible dies. Slowly. Someway involving pliers.

Scrapss likes this.
  14. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (266) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

USA Stadium beer is already upcharged a good 5x for regular product. Imagine MEXICO. And then imagine their upcharge and extra filling rate. Easily 10-15x. Scary.

15. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (958) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Part of their no beer left behind policy.
    What? Just good conservation of beer really.

:stuck_out_tongue:

16. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,083) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

One more reason not to go to kickball games.

17. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,083) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Maybe they sell it at a discount and pocket the money? "Hey bro, I can sell you this one for half-price!"

jakecattleco and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  18. stevepat

Trader

given the thread about the battle for water to brew beer in mexico this might just be necessary

Scrapss likes this.
  19. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (588) Mar 28, 2009 California

I actually had a vendor tell me if I pay him cash he’ll sell it to me half off. He was pocketing the money. Got me and my buddies a few pours for half price.

20. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (133) Dec 25, 2015 New York

At the end of the video she pours out the cigarette butts and re-fills the cup.

21. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,278) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I was mesmerized by the fluidity of movement by the one on the left. It's like the beer version of the shell game.

Amendm, Scrapss and stevepat like this.
  22. stevepat

Trader

It's also worth remembering that, in my experience at major sports events, there is a massive line and for the most part beers aren't poured when you order but rather there are just a few of each available beer already poured and in a situation like this where there is only one or two available there might be dozens of pints pre-poured

Amendm and eppCOS like this.
  23. JerzDevl2000

JerzDevl2000 Poo-Bah (2,786) Oct 7, 2005 New Jersey

I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference...

mngermanshepherd likes this.
  24. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (781) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

This is an odd article to see on Beer Advocate, and from Fox News? Why do you think they publish articles like this? If you need a hint, here is the top voted comment on the article:

25. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (958) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

@hoppytobehere gets it. Consider the source. And also - this is probably more common than we'd like to admit elsewhere. Moving on.

stevepat likes this.
  26. Todd

I know, right? Discussing beer on BeerAdvocate is odd.

eppCOS, lucius10, TrojanRB and 2 others like this.
  27. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (781) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

It's hardly beer news. It's hardly journalism. If I want to read Fox News articles I will unblock my uncle Trevor on facebook.

28. Todd

I get that many justifiably hate Fox News, but comments like this aren't helpful here. They only serve to derail the thread by focusing on the source and not the content, which is beer-related.

Prince_Casual, ErrFord, JA_26 and 2 others like this.
  29. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,423) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

You could, you know, just not read the article if you have an issue. I know you’re from the District of Columbia, but we really didn’t need to inject a political angle.

I think it’s an interesting discussion for the site.

Amendm, JA_26, Hoppedelic and 2 others like this.
  30. stevepat

Trader

Two questions I have, where were they getting the left over beer from? I mean are these soccer fans so polite that they bring their plastic cups back to the bar so they can be easily disposed of instead of just leaving them all over the stadium, usually spilled, like every single stadium I've ever been in? Also, shouldn't management recognize that they are clearly selling larger portions than needed and could probably sell beers that were 20% smaller for the same price?

meefmoff likes this.
  31. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (277) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Looks like Grupo Modelo are trying to get into the chicha business. Let's hope Sam Calagione doesn't get any ideas.

32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,822) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Ah, a Corona retailer revives and updates the "Ullage" process which Guinness once used - cutting out the "middleman" by not bothering to send it back to the brewery.

See Ron Pattinson's blog post Cask beer in the 1950’s – hard spiles, soft spiles and ullage (quoting "Brewing Theory and Practice" by E. J. Jeffery) and a Guinness brewmaster's book, A Bottle of Guinness, Please, explanation of what "Ullage" was.

tolar111 likes this.
  33. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (168) Oct 6, 2004 California

I’m wondering where the “alleged” part was. That was in plain view.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  34. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (505) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Many restaurants used to recycle the bread not eaten by the customers and used it to make bread crumbs. How do you know if somebody touched the bread or sneezed on it while it was on their table, you don't.

This practise is just plain stupid, these beer recyclers saved a few pennies(pesos) yet lost their spot at the stadium. That's the only good new here.

tolar111 likes this.
  35. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,822) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

But it could have been done in a film studio - you know, like the moon landing.:astonished:

jasonmason and Amendm like this.
  36. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (631) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It's obvious those vendors are die hard beer advocates and just wanted to find a public place to solicit feedback for their latest home brew.

Amendm likes this.
  37. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (323) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Bread crumbs are usually cooked again, no? Not saying that that necessarily makes it sterile but it is something.

I save all my chicken and pork bones (including wings that have been basically in my mouth) and freeze them. About monthly I dump the bag into a big pot, of boiling water, and rolling boil all day to get a dark broth, that I then freeze and use for ramen or other dishes. I'm not sure if a restaurant would be allowed to save bones that have been eaten off of like that (probably not) but I figure after boiling in water for 7hrs, they are probably more 'clean' than they were when I bought the chicken at the store. Definitely more sterile. I used to only do it with legs and thighs that I had ripped the mat off of, but I tried it with the wing bones and also pork chop bones and it really adds a ton.

Just to circle back to the OP though, the beer is NOT cooked and not okay to reuse. If they were to boil hotdogs/ sausage in it, I might be defending them!

Amendm likes this.
  38. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (505) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Saving and repurposing your leftovers the way you do is a wise idea and in no way violates safe food practices. Reusing anything that has been on customers table, unless it's sealed such as pats of butter, is illegal and can draw the ire of the local B.O.H.

"Upon further review" it appears that the beer servers in the video are having trouble with their system and are dumping cups of beer with too much head into the bucket and scooping some out when it settles. I am not seeing identifiably "used beer" being served, although the last cup poured into the bucket looked kind of grey. This is still unsafe.

This concession stand was not banned from the stadium as I stated, this was a possibility.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  39. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (631) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I did some digging and it turns out it is just a new beer from
    AB-Inbev- Corona Re-Serve :wink:

40. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,296) Jun 4, 2012 Korea (North)

Gonna be some mouth sores with that one. Don't go downtown for awhile.

HouseofWortship likes this.