Video of the flooding at Left Hand Brewing in Longmont, CO

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by 2013beer101, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2013beer101

2013beer101 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Colorado

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,407) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Holy wow! That's the flood water splashing up over the windshield. They should not be trying to drive through that . I have been following that flood on the weather channel online and my heart goes out to all those people. I like left hand beer too.

3. cg123

cg123 Initiate (139) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

I love how the windshield wipers were still going! Talk about putting a bandaid on a severed arm!

quirkzoo likes this.
  4. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That is scary as shit! Hopefully the brewery will be alright and didn't sustain too much damage. I wonder how much this will set them back production wise? Either way, that video was freaky as hell, I'm surprised the Firetruck was able to keep going without flooding the engine.

5. 2013beer101

I would be willing to bet that there is substantial damage to the brewery since they are no more than probably 50-75 feet from the water way that is flooding in that particular area. I think some of their equipment is elevated up in a loading dock area so hopefully that helps.

6. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Awe, man...
    Wonder how it looks down the street at Oskar Blues? Seems like that area may be even lower from what I remember.

7. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

ever hear of a boat?

mfnmbvp likes this.
  8. chugalug06

chugalug06 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2008 Colorado

Just spoke to my buddy who brews at Oskar Blues... He reported:

"All is fine with OB, but Lefthand got the full brunt and took an amazing beating"

The massive damage from the flood waters is a absolutely amazing. If you pray, pray.

9. 2013beer101

Oscar Blues is on the top of a little knoll so it is high and dry.
    I wish I were a bigger fan of OB, I have tried Dales and Little Momma's but just can't get into them by those offerings, thinking about trying Ten Fidy though.
    We do not believe in boats around here, only ATV's, large 4x4's and snow mobiles in the winter:wink: .

DelMontiac likes this.
  10. DelMontiac

Well, that's some good news at least. Ane once you've had TenFidy...you're a lifer.

denver10, funhog and Kerrie like this.
  11. 2013beer101

Just saw a flier at a local bottle shop that it is coming soon.
    Side Note: From Edmond,OK originally myself.

12. kudos

kudos Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2013 Florida

Buying up all the milk stout I can find now.

13. DelMontiac

Cool. I grew up in CO Springs. I stayed at a hotel about a quarter mile away from Left Hand and OB in late July. TenFidy was not out yet so my quest was a bust.:slight_frown: All the fires and concrete over the years have made it tough when heavy rains fall up there. Kinda sad. Not like it was when I lived there many years ago.

14. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

I hope everyone (including those not involved with the breweries) is okay. I didn't even hear about this until just now but apparently my bf has been following it and there have been a few deaths. My heart goes out to their families and I hope this gets cleaned up soon.

15. 2013beer101

The death toll has been minimal (as it can be anyway) up until now, at 3. The hardest part for me was listening to the scanner on the first night and hearing the dispatcher breakdown when she heard that the second and last entrance into a mountain town was also blocked by a rock/mud slide. That town had/has roughly 2,000 residence and at that time had multiple building collapses with people trapped and one fatality. Hearing ambulances being told to turn around and wait is hard, especially when it sounded like only one volunteer fire fighter was there.

16. 2013beer101

Jump to 1:20 for the view of the brewery. It appears as though the water is lower in the area than what it was yesterday.

17. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,250) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

It is sad to see this happen to any brewery, but I hope the damage remains minimal and no staff gets hurt. On another note, it would be interesting if this results in a beer like, Hitachino Nest's 3 Days, which came about due to the Tohoku Earthquake back in 2011. Not saying that I would like that to happen, but I am pointing out the possibility for it, in which case could be used to raise money like the other beer.

18. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Wow:grimacing:fuuuuuuuuuck...here's hoping for a speedy recovery for all. I can't imagine how this will affect Left Hand. SMH

19. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Poo-Bah (2,397) Nov 28, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I like how you can hear one firefighter telling the other to slow down.

20. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Seeing all that damage makes me very sad. Mother Nature can be a real bitch sometimes. All my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Colorado, one of the finest states I have ever had the pleasure of visiting before.

21. nolimitnsb

nolimitnsb Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have a friend of a friend that works at Left Hand and the word I got this morning was things are "not good". Hope they're able to bounce back quickly. Sad to hear this news.

Edit: "They lost a lot of beer but minimal water damage" was the last I heard.

22. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (282) May 31, 2011 Colorado

That is completely nuts! It looks like the Mississippi river decided to take a vacation. I have a friend who works there, and actually went to work thursday. I have no idea how he got back home.

23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,104) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Ever heard of compassion?

24. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

I meant it seems like a boat would be a better way to help (compassion)
    than a car/truck

25. Kenzie

Kenzie Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Utah

They posted on Facebook today that they will be closed another day but still plan on having the longmount oktoberfest next weekend w/ a charity drive for the damage done to other residents in the area. The water level barely missed seeping into the warehouse with all the beer in it, and not as much damage was done to them as it was done to others in the town.

26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,104) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

It's Colorado man, we're a desert.

27. guyforget

guyforget Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

a land-locked desert at that. not many reasons to have a boat in colorado. as huge as colorado is, if you look at the largest lake in each state by surface area, colorado is 43rd on the list. granted maryland is 46th, but y'all have got that whole chesapeake bay, atlantic ocean thing going on... lots of boats, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.