Vintage KBS, Insanity and Mad Elf

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jegross2, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jegross2

jegross2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois

Just curious how the older vintage of some beers are holding up. I have 1 KBS from each year since 2006. Debating opening the entire vertical after I get the KBS 2012. Any reason not to? Are any of the KBS before 2010 "past their prime"?

Also curious about how the following are drinking right now: 2008 Mad Elf and 2009 Insanity.

Thanks in advance

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

IMO KBS holds up fine but does not improve with age. I would not hesitate to open the full vertical.

3. HawkinMI

HawkinMI Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2007 Michigan

Other thing to think about with the KBS is that prior to 2009 (or maybe 2008) Founder's used twist off cap. So you always have a chance of lowly carbonated beer. Let me know how it goes since I have 2007 and 2008 as well.

4. Alexander

Alexander Initiate (100) May 29, 2008 Iowa

Agree with all this, especially kzoo that it holds up fine but no real need to condition it. I think it's pretty great fresh - among the best, I'd say - and that's the experience that I have been most excited with this brew. Verticals are fun though, and this is a good one to be sure.

5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Another thing to consider as well is the recipe change that took place beginning with the 2009 batch. 2008 and prior KBS was brewed with vanilla beans, in 2009 Founders replaced the vanilla with (additional?) chocolate. Just based off of memory I preferred the vintages with the vanilla beans, it just works well with bourbon barrel stouts. I do not know how much of the vanilla flavor is lingering but there may be a subtle but discernible difference between the older vintages and the newer.

6. stevefinny

stevefinny Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey

2009 Insanity is REALLY GREAT, wish i had bought more.

7. StoutFest

StoutFest Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2009 Illinois

After doing multiple verticals and side by sides with KBS I have concluded that best is fresh. If you want all the flavors at peak then drink it fresh. The vanilla, coffee, and chocolate flavors go quick. After all, Founder's runs an excellent barrel aging program. When KBS is bottled it means its good to go. After a year some of the bourbon mellows out as well as some of the flavors but anything longer than that is a no for me. I usually go through my supply within the 1st 3 months of its release.

Some of the older ones are way past their prime. When comparing any year versus fresh, fresh is still king. If you have one a year or 2 old on its own its more tolerable then comparing it to the fresh one.

8. bpfrush

bpfrush Savant (961) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

I had last year's KBS at 3 month intervals and preferred it at 6 and 9 months compared to fresh and 3 months for whatever that's worth. Can't speak to longer aging, but doubt it would help much. Looking forward to trying this experiment again this year.

9. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

ive done a variety of experiments with side-by-sides at various stages of age from 1 month to 2 years and i ultimately feel like its best fresh. its still an incredible beer with some age, but i really enjoy the coffee and vanilla flavors, which seem to be at their peak in the beginning.

having said that, i had a small taste of last years batch last night and it was still fantastic.

10. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,949) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Society

I'm in the minority here, but I really loved year-old KBS. I did a side-by-side last year and the year-old one was slightly smoother with lots of dark chocolate flavors and still a pretty strong amount of coffee. Year-old FBS is not that great, but I've saved half a dozen bottles of KBS from last year. Fresh is also very, very good, though, so you can't lose by drinking it then, either.

11. jegross2

jegross2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be cracking the vertical either this weekend or the end of the month and I'll report back. I've already reviewed kbs so I'll just do a "vertical comparison" type review

12. mikecharley

mikecharley Devotee (410) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Ive had kbs at fresh to three years, and it always seems to be at its sweet spot at 1 year of age, or around there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.