Visiting Bend/Sunriver 2019

Discussion in 'US - West' started by sharpski, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Initiate (191) Nov 17, 2015 Washington

I forgot about Diablo Rojo. This may be sufficient and I'll likely make a stop at Boneyard to cure my Bone-A-Fide addiction.

There is someone who will be on my trip who prefers ambers. I don't drink them much, so it's honestly hard for me to think of any.

2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,358) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Haven't been in a while (unfortunately), but in the past, I seem to recall that BBC usually had an amber on tap.

WA_Brian likes this.
  3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Boneyard's Diablo Rojo is the only red I can even think of at the moment. It's not a style that I would ever consider drinking, they often just taste like nothing but raisins.

4. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,277) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Wild Ride has a Red too, but I think both of these are more hoppy than Alaskan Amber or Mac N Jack’s (what I think of when someone says “amber”). Cans of MT Booming Rollers may be available, and you can pretend they came from Portland if local is super important.

5. distantmantra

Trader

Booming Rollers is super hoppy, as a heads up for your amber loving brethren.

66jzmstr, WA_Brian and sharpski like this.
  6. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Perhaps you're thinking of Blazing World? Booming Rollers is Citra hop IPA IIRC.

sharpski and 66jzmstr like this.
  7. sharpski

Society Trader

Thank you, Blazing World is the Amber I was trying to recall.

distantmantra and jakecattleco like this.
  8. jakecattleco

Society Trader

If they ever bring it back, Aurora is an excellent Red Rye IPA, if you're into that sort of thing.

9. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (334) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

There's always Full Sail Amber. Might be as local as you can get.

Reidrover and sharpski like this.
  10. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,837) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Need to bring back Cinder Cone

kemoarps, jason_nwx, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  11. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Yes, this x2

12. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (334) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

From Deschutes? They still make it. But it's a Red Ale.

13. WA_Brian

Back from my trip to Sunriver but didn't do too much drinking (relatively speaking).

The cask of Spruce Sahalie at The Ale Apothecary is heavenly and the new Cherry El Cuatro (port barrels, not the cognac from 2017) was a big hit. I was also very surprised with the beer cooler at Jackson's Corner. Bottle of Ralph with my meal? Yes, please! Why can't I have this where I live?

Crux has re-modeled since I was last there. I love the space, but not the parking. Next time I think I'll visit during the quiet hours.

Boneyard's new pub is really nice and the current batch of Notorious is delicious. I am looking forward to going back. Didn't get to try the food, but got the Diablo Rojo and a Bone-A-Fide for myself.

Sunriver Brewing (in Sunriver) used to be self-seating in the small outdoor patio which let you skip the huge lines if you were in the know... but no longer :slight_frown: Oh well, the Dirty Fries are still delicious and I'm always impressed with Rippin. Surprised that doesn't see more distribution.

philhyde, jpbebeau and sharpski like this.
  14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I think that change must have occurred sometime back. When we stopped in last August, you needed to wait in line for the patio area as well (we asked, as there seemed to be several open tables on the patio, and our wait time was almost an hour for lunch).

I'm not a huge fan of Rippin, but I'm clearly in the minority. My understanding is that it's their biggest seller (at least that's what I was told), and it's the favorite of all our friends up there. I see it on tap every once in a while down here in PDX, but it's pretty rare. We seem to get pretty good distribution of SR beer in PDX, so I share your puzzlement.

sharpski likes this.
  15. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Last visit, I parked on the street up from Market of Choice and took a short walk to Crux via sidewalk and asphalt path. Worked out well; I think I'll be doing that often...

16. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

Heading up on Monday for work. If I have I pick one spot for dinner and beer what would that be? Been several times to Bend but it’s been two years since I have been.

kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  17. sharpski

Society Trader

I like Jackson's Corner for both, but Brother Jon's and Brown Owl are worth mentioning too. For actual brewpubs, I'm partial to Sunriver's pub on Galveston Ave., but GoodLife, Boneyard, and Deschutes aren't far behind. PM me if you have other questions.

18. shnsajax

I forgot about Jackson’s Corner as I’ve only been there for breakfast which alone is great. Boneyard Pub is a 6 minute walk from the hotel as well.

19. distantmantra

Trader

I really like the food at Jackson's Corner.

shnsajax likes this.
  20. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (184) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Boneyard's food is good and more interesting than most brewpubs (chef is Filipino iirc and they often have Filipino-inflected specials).

kemoarps, shnsajax, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  21. deadwolfbones

Broken Top has decent food, too, and a great beer selection obviously.

jakecattleco, shnsajax and sharpski like this.
  22. sharpski

Society Trader

Duh, so obvious that I forgot to include them. Best choice IMO, especially if you have any vegetarian/vegan/dietary issues in the group.

23. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Took the wife, sister and her husband there the last time we were up that way. Everyone was pleasantly surprised by how good the food was. Very creative/innovative as well.

24. shnsajax

My issue is mostly trying to avoid vegetarian food especially when work is paying for it :slight_smile:

25. jakecattleco

Society Trader

I was getting worried, was wondering if the spots mentioned were things head-n-shoulders above BT. Surprisingly in all my trips I've never hit the spots you mentioned... they're all on the list now!

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  26. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (275) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

I know you said for dinner, but if you are looking for places to buy beer to take with you afterwards, I actually think the place to go is Market of Choice. Best bottle selection and taplist in town IMO.

27. shnsajax

I've been there, it is a good place.

deadwolfbones likes this.
  28. I_h8_clowns

I_h8_clowns Initiate (0) May 31, 2018 Oregon

you might try your luck at the new "brasserie" for Monkless. It only just opened this weekend. I have not heard about the food yet, but it looks promising. I think they are open 7-days-week.

otherwise, in no particular order:
    900 Wall (CIA trained chef, decent but not vast tap selection. a well-stocked bar is not a bad thing, regularly voted one of the best happy hour menus in town)

The bar at Currents at the Riverhouse (convenient if you are at the north end of town. also has a good happy hour menu. good selection of beers usually.)

Broken Top Bottle Shop has already been mentioned...they get my vote as well.

29. deadwolfbones

The food is good, though expensive (welcome to Bend!). We got a $20 pot of mussels (which, granted, was a good size) and the taste was excellent.

The space is gorgeous, too. Bar will be a great winter hang, deck in the summer.

Unfortunately the post you're replying to @I_h8_clowns is over a month old. :grinning:

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  30. I_h8_clowns

I_h8_clowns Initiate (0) May 31, 2018 Oregon

Next thing you'll be telling me is I should've saved for retirement and bought a condo in 1998 and I'd have some home equity by now.

I'm late. I get it.

31. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (319) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

32. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

philhyde likes this.
  33. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (319) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Yeah. I just reread the listing. Sounds like 10 Barrel isn't going anywhere, just the building is for sale.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  34. WA_Brian

Made a quick trip into Bend this weekend and tried out a few new places.

Market of Choice is ridiculous. It is just not fair that you have 3 Fonteinen being sold at a grocery store and Hommage at that :heart_eyes: In my entire life that marks only the second time I've ever seen 3F bottles on a store shelf.

Monkless was pretty nice with nice patio views of the water and old mill. Beer was pretty good too so I'm not sure why I've never tried them before. They offer bottles flights with two actual Belgian beers and one of theirs which I thought was a pretty cool idea. I think I'll do that next time I'm in town.

Unfortunately I have nothing nice to say about Cascade Lakes.

35. deadwolfbones

That 3F has been sitting, too. :slight_frown:

distantmantra likes this.
  36. shnsajax

Here in Boise too. I mean its moving, but still sitting.

37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Beermongers still has magnums of the Armand & Gaston.

38. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (423) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

In town for a few days visiting family. Been to MOC a few times in the past and while the selection was always good I was blown away by the selection this time around. Alvarado St, Jackie O’s, Fonta Flora, Highland Park, Hoof Hearted, Narrow Gauge, and some other random stuff.

Was really only looking for some Heater Allen cans and sadly the Kolsch was rather old (or the date coder made a 9 really look like a 5).

Pretty impressive nonetheless.

39. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (275) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

If you are still around tomorrow (Friday), Sunriver is releasing 2 barrel aged beers in cans, one being a mexican imperial stout, and the other being an imperial stout with coconut, macadamia nuts, and hawaiian cocoa nibs. Cans should be at all 3 pubs (sunriver, bend, and eugene)

kemoarps, sharpski and deadwolfbones like this.
  40. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

@sharpski , any word if Deschutes will be doing a Jubel2020? I've still got a couple bottles of the 2010, so I'm hoping to do a side-by-side.

NWer, kemoarps, OakvilleKGB and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.