Visiting Delaware/Dogfish Head in a few weeks.

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by chicano4craft, Jun 25, 2013.

1. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Apr 18, 2009 Colorado

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions on where to eat. How's the food at the brewpub? And are any of the other breweries in Delaware worth visiting? I'm not familiar with any of them outside of Dogfish Head. Also, is there anywhere to do a nice morning hike around Milton or Rehoboth?

2. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Aug 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

My wife and I enjoyed this restaurant. http://www.yelp.com/biz/salt-air-rehoboth-beach If I remember correctly, they had some craft beer, but nothing special. Think I had something by Rogue.

The brewpub food is average. Nothing great. We liked to drink there but eat somewhere else.

As far as hiking goes, this isn't far from DFH.
    http://www.leweschamber.com/our-town/articles-interest/breakwater-biking-and-hiking-trail.htm

This isn't in Delaware, but they make good beer and it's just over the border in MD. I haven't been here though.
    http://evolutioncraftbrewing.com/TastingRoom/About.aspx

3. schteve

schteve Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

The food at the brewpub is average with a few better things, like the wood-fried grill stuff/pizzas.

I'd recommend the Henlopen Oyster House. Not far from the brewpub.
    http://www.hcoysterhouse.com/

For a Hike, you can go to Henlopen State Park.
    http://www.destateparks.com/park/cape-henlopen/

I visited 16 Mile in Georgetown. A couple of decent beers, the rest were average, but they were really nice people and it's only 15-20 minutes from Rehobeth.

seanchai likes this.
  4. csurowiec

csurowiec Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

Go to dogfish brewings and eats for beer. Go to big fish grill or bethany blues for food. Henelopen state park for a hike. As far as other breweries, I haven't toured them so I don't have an opinion on tours but evolution makes some damn fine beers

5. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The DFH brewery sells bottles, but only has 4 beers on tap and nothing you can't buy in bottles. The brewpub is where they sell exclusive draft-only stuff, including a series right now brewing a bunch of 100-year old recipes they found (mostly British I think). I'd agree the food is just average though (and there's a long wait) so consider stopping there for drinks and getting dinner elsewhere.

I agree Evolution makes some great beer but I haven't been there either. Burley Oak is a very new brewery also in that area.

gillagorilla likes this.
  6. dhartogs

dhartogs Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I cannot stress dining and drinking at Henlopen City Oyster House enough. Great place. The food at Dogfish brewpub is pretty good, it's gotten better over the last year. Make sure you ask the server what is in the secret stash, they always have 2-3 vintage bottles. Not far from the Dogfish Brewery is 16 - Mile. They don't make anything spectacular, but it's closer to the brewery and a fine place to have a few beers.

7. stmgl01

stmgl01 Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

Although I've never been, a friend who has a house in rehoboth highly recommends the Henlopeb City Oyster House for food and drink so I'd have to agree with others that have mentioned it. DFH is fun to eat and drink at as well...try the brewpub exclusives and vintage stuff!

8. chicano4craft

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to the trip.

9. jlenik

jlenik Jan 22, 2009 New Jersey

Do you need a DFH growler to get it filled or will they fill any growler?

10. cryme

cryme Jun 29, 2011 Delaware

Definitely go to Henlopen City Oyster House. They are by far the best craft-beer centric bar in the area and their food is terrific. Their draft list is constantly updated and they have been killing it lately now that Shelton Bros. is back in delaware.

Another good place to go is Pickled Pig Pub, it's on route one inbetween brewery in Milton and downtown Rehoboth. Pub food, but done really well, and they usually have a very solid draft list as well.

11. DeutschesBier

DeutschesBier Feb 8, 2009 Maryland
    Beer Trader

They'll fill any growler.

12. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I will chime in for Henlopen City Oyster House, too. Every time I'm there they have something on cask which is great. The beer selection is really good and so is the food. You won't be disappointed.

I thought Nage on Route 1 was a nice little place too. Had a nice dinner there. The cheese plate is good, along with a nice selection of wines and some good local beers.

13. beerfinder

beerfinder Jan 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

I enjoy the PIG and Fish and Fins they are not a far walk from the Brew Pub.

14. Steeeve

Steeeve Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

I will throw in another shout out for HCOC. They have amazing food and a small but well-selected draft list. I also recommend FINS a block or 2 from DFH.

15. TomFoley

TomFoley Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Stingray for sushi and a great sake list.

16. joetouchton

joetouchton Apr 23, 2012 Delaware
    Beer Trader

i second henlopen city oyster house and check out evo good ood good beer good atmosphere

17. northside

northside Apr 16, 2007 Pennsylvania

The only problem, and I mean the only problem about going to Evo or Burly Oak is going to be the traffic in the summer. If time is on your side, GO! A nice walking tour is Dogfish, Fins, Arenas, and HCOH. It's all the exercise a man or woman needs.. ;)

18. dhartogs

dhartogs Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Any growler with the government warning.

Zoggs is a fun place and has more craft beers lately, they always have at least one Evo on tap.

19. chicano4craft

Thanks for all the help. Looks like Henlopen City Oyster House is a must. We are on a little bit of a time crunch so I don't know if we'll make it to Evolution. I'm hoping to try some of their stuff on tap.

20. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I really enjoyed the food at the pub. It gets pretty damn busy in the evenings, so plan accordingly.

21. Steeeve

Steeeve Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

It's been a while since I actually ate a meal at the brewpub, but they have awesome appetizers. The wings are great and the fried pickles are even better, 2nd best only to Memphis Taproom.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe