1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Visiting Gulf Shores AL/Pensacola FL

Discussion in 'South' started by archiebunkerjr, Feb 1, 2019.

1. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (201) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan

Hi folks. I'm visiting the Gulf Shores/Pensacola area for spring break. Any new breweries pop up in this area in the past few years? I did a search on here and I didn't get much info. The hits I did get were from 3 to 5 years ago. Bottle shop help is welcome as well. Thanks!

2. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (159) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Hey, we vacation there every year and there is not alot of beer options as far as breweries in this area. Most of the restaurants and shops are big on Abita beer company. I'm a big NEDIPA fan and i did not really see these in restaurants here. I did not check any pubs we may have passed cause we usually have kids with us so we did not venture off into these places. There is a Taco joint which makes great fish taco's and has a nice draft/bottle/can beer choice also called Chronic tacos. I highly suggest this place.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  3. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (159) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Also in Pensacola at the navy base they have a huge aviation museum that is free. We have went 3 years in a row and still have not seen everything. Last year we caught a blue angles practice show for free. If your into that stuff its fun.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  4. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,662) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

If you are in Pensacola, go to Perfect Plain Brewery. They have a good mix of beers leaning towards Farmhouse (read Saisons). They usually have a good mix, pils or kolsh, stout, brown, pale, ipa and a NEIPA. I would visit them religiously if they were around me. I can recommend not wasting your time with Gulf Coast and Pensacola Bay.

Juno106 and archiebunkerjr like this.
  5. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (214) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Brewery scene in that area is pretty dull but Perfect Plain Brewing is cool. If you hang out in the downtown Pensacola area Hopjacks Pizza, Tin Cow Burgers, and World of Beer have good selections. Richey's East package stores have several locations around Pensacola and have reasonable bottle selections of Cigar City, Westbrook, and Trim Tab.

As for food, I recommend Polonza Bistro and Native Cafe, both have really good breakfast!

Juno106 and archiebunkerjr like this.
  6. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (201) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan

Hi folks. Thanks for the help. My friends and I found Big Batch Brewing in Gulf Shores yesterday. I'm spoiled working in Grand Rapids but BBB was not too bad. I really liked their hazy IPA and their schwarzbier was pretty good as well. I would go back again if I can.

donspublic likes this.
  7. Juno106

Juno106 Initiate (69) Apr 3, 2019 Florida

Downtown Pensacola is nice. Perfect Plain Brewery is a nice spot. Solid beers. World of Beers and Hopjacks have a lot of beers on tap and bottles. All 3 are within walking distance.