1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Visiting Lincoln, NE - Are These The "Must Visits"?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by AlexM, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (518) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

So I'm visiting my son who is a new freshman at the Univ of Nebraska and wanted to make sure I have my ducks in a row for beer activities. Checking the past threads, it seems the following would be the "must visits" within Lincoln ... anything I missed? anything I should skip? I definitely have a preference of visiting breweries over beer bars. Thank you in advance!

BREWERIES
    1) Zipline
    2100 Magnum Circle #1, Lincoln, NE 68522

2) Lazlo’s
    210 N 7th St., Lincoln, NE 68508

3) Ploughshare
    1630 P St., Lincoln, NE 68508

4) Blue Blood
    500 W South St., Lincoln NE 68522

5) Nebraska Brewing in Papillion (not in Lincoln but sounds like worth the drive)

BEER BARS
    1) Yia Yia’s
    1423 O St., Lincoln, NE 68505

STORES
    1) N Street Drive-In
    1801 O St., Lincoln, NE

2. isuee94

isuee94 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Iowa

Just got back from Lincoln last week on a business trip.

I can comment on the following:

N Street - definitely hit this place up if you're looking for some bottles to drink or take home. They have a great selection and good prices.

Lazlo's - The food is decent and it's associated with Empyrian brewing so you can try their beers. I did a flight of them all. None really wowed me, but some were decent.

Zipline - didn't make it here due to their hours. Only open Wed-Sat so plan accordingly. Have had their Copper Alt thought and it's quite good.

I'll add another option:

Longwell's - They have 76 different beers on tap, so they're bound to have something you've never had.

AlexM likes this.
  3. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I would absolutely not go to Blue Blood. If you make the drive to the Omaha area for NBC I would probably hit the brewery taproom instead of the brewpub and I would stop at Crescent Moon/Beertopia as well.

Also, Ploughshare currently only has guest taps and none of their own beers until Mid-October.

Other options include Infusion Brewing and Benson Brewery in Omaha.

#3 BrettHead, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    AlexM likes this.
  4. bditty187

bditty187 Poo-Bah (2,419) Jul 10, 2002 Nebraska

I'd skip Yia Yias and Blue Blood and just make the drive to NBC, and as mentioned, skip the brewpub and go to the tap house. I like Jakes in Lincoln for beer bars.

TomClem and AlexM like this.
  5. AlexM

Trader

Longwell's looks STRONG and walking distance from my hotel ... I'M IN!!! ... thank you!

6. AlexM

Trader

Thanks for the heads-up on Ploughshare ... so it sounds like the only two "worthy" breweries in Lincoln itself are Lazlo's/Empyrian and Zipline ... will try to get to those Omaha area breweries as you suggested. Thank you!

BrettHead likes this.
  7. AlexM

Trader

Oh yeah, Jake's is cigar friendly so they will be added to the list for sure ... thank you!

BrettHead likes this.
  8. BrettHead

AlexM likes this.
  9. Dirt101

Dirt101 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2009 Nebraska

I live in Lincoln, Zipline is a must as is Jakes.

AlexM likes this.
  10. AlexM

Trader

Thanks ... I will definitely hit these ... Ever been to Longwell's?

11. bditty187

Longwell's has a lot of taps... lot of crap but, on my visit, maybe 5-10 that are worth a damn. If it is close to you then go. Mellow Mushroom across the street is pricy and sucks for beer, food, and service.

BrettHead likes this.
  12. archi348

archi348 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Minnesota

For stores I would also suggest you check out Moran's at 3400 'A' Street. When you do just make sure you go into the "cave" behind the cooler. I've found a number of tasty treats in there.

cran852 and AlexM like this.
  13. BrettHead

Oh by the way, Go Big Red! :grinning:

AlexM likes this.
  14. AlexM

Trader

Oh absolutely Go Big Red! My son has been telling me stories how awesome the fan-base and enthusiasm is in Lincoln - very cool!!! #GBR

bditty187, BrettHead and TomClem like this.
  15. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (104) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

how long are you going to be in town? lincoln beer week starts this sunday, you can see some events here:
    http://lnkbeerweek.com/

will def second the reccs for jakes & yia yia's for beer bars, zipline for a taproom & moran's for the best beer store.

will also add that dempseys burger pub, while a bit hit & miss, sometimes has very nice tap offerings (altho only about 10 options) and awesome burgers.

AlexM and BrettHead like this.
  16. AlexM

Trader

Bummer - will be missing it ... will be there Sep 18 and leaving noon on the 20th before it gets too crazy for the NE vs MIA game

17. cran852

cran852 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2009 Nebraska

If you can only hit one store, go to Moran's instead of N Street. While the physical store is small, Moran's has a similar if not better selection and you can buy lots of beers as singles including all the local beers.

18. ig88b

ig88b Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 Missouri

I'm not sure why anyone would want to skip Yia Yia's. It's the best beer bar in the city and has great pizza. I haven't been to Lincoln for a couple of years, but I still crave the Francois slice.

19. cran852

cran852 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2009 Nebraska

Also, if your kid continues to go here, put Ploughshare on the list in a few weeks. The food is killer, and I have had many of the beers made by both the owner and brewer. They will make some seriously good beer.

Ploughshare just got the final parts to their brewing system and are putting the plumbing in order as we speak.

poopinmybutt likes this.
  20. AlexM

Trader

Sounds good about Ploughshare and will do ... I dig their logo and need a t-shirt - LOL - it's SO Nebraska! :slight_smile:

21. BrettHead

As someone born and raised in Omaha that logo does nothing for me personally. But hey at least it isn't a guy detasseling corn. :slight_smile:

Enjoy your trip!

AlexM likes this.
  22. bditty187

The beer selection looks impressive but most of those bottles are so over-priced how much of them do they sell? Draft prices are pricy too. The pizza is great but the beer selection/prices does nothing for me.

23. rarapacz

rarapacz Aspirant (207) Mar 2, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I haven't been to Yia Yia's for two years, but I was able to buy a bomber of Bourbon County Coffee '12 for $17.00. It seemed like a fair price to pay at a bar 6 months after the release. However, I do remember seeing a few bottles that seemed way over priced. Some of the Funkwerks bottles come to mind. The pizza is great and worth the trip.

24. poopinmybutt

re: yia yia's

i go there all the time as a local. bottles are definitely a bit overpriced but you can find things after they've been long gone from other places sometimes. they have also doubled their taps in the last year so now they have like 24 i believe, which is a huge improvement. draft prices are hit or miss but early in the year i was drinking 32oz mason jars of la folie for $13 on the reg.

it definitely rules

cran852 and dbossman like this.
  25. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (352) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

GBR

Graduated in 2012. The craft beer scene has really grown since then. It's great to see.

AlexM, poopinmybutt and BrettHead like this.
  26. AlexM

Trader

Thanks again everyone for the recommendations in Lincoln. I managed to hit Zipline - Lazlo’s / Empyrian - Yia Yia’s - N Street Drive-In

Lazlo's was a bit MEH ... I sampled all their beers (something like 12) and nothing really kicked a$$

Yia Yia's was solid but the hipster vibe is pretty hysterical ... LMAO @ them

N Street was excellent - very nice selection - just wished you could assemble a mixed 6-pack

Zipline ROCKED ... my favorite stop in Lincoln ... very chill vibe - not that BS "I'm too cool even though I'm a freaking dork" hipster vibe ... friendly staff ... friendly patrons ... excellent brews which I would argue are better than the Nebraska Brewing offerings I have sampled ... they had a barrel aged saison -> Barrel Aged Harumeku - which was awesome - lost all its saison / farmhouse ale characteristics but it was very unique and tasty

#GoBigRed

JCadwell, cran852 and BrettHead like this.
  27. AlexM

Trader

Has anyone checked out Ploughshare recently? Looks like they've been open for a few months, have 7-ish "core" beers on tap, serve food, won the "Best New Restaurant 2014" award (whatever that means, lol) and have a convenient downtown Lincoln location ... just wondering people's thoughts. #GBR

28. ElJosharino

ElJosharino Initiate (198) May 3, 2013 Nebraska

I've been there once, had a charcuterie board and a couple beers. They have a smallish food menu, the board I had was pretty good, and I've heard consistently good things about their food from trusted sources. The IPA was solid, not super memorable but good. There was a Grand Cru that was sort of between a Belgian Golden and Pale that was pretty impressive, started out sweet, got a little earthy/tannic, and a slightly bitter and dry finish. I also had a Munich Helles on firkin with Hallertau hops at a beer week event that was phenomenal. I'm looking forward to trying more from them.

BrettHead and AlexM like this.
  29. poopinmybutt

late on this but ploughshare is one of my fav places to go in lincoln and deserving of the best new restaurant title. i think their beers are mostly very well made too, but mostly styles i'm not as big on unfortunately. i do really like their pilsner a lot.

it's also just a really chill, cool place to hang out

BrettHead and AlexM like this.
  30. AlexM

Trader

:grinning::grinning:
    just here to LMAO ... Poop In My Butt ... LOVE IT!

poopinmybutt and BrettHead like this.
  31. AlexM

Trader

Visited Ploughshare last week while in Lincoln. Highlights were the convenient location to downtown / UNL and the amazing bratwursts. Beer was pretty standard ... nothing that blew me away, yet nothing offensive. Big bummer was no tasting flights available. Blue Blood, also in Lincoln, recently opened a tap room ... on my to-do list for next Lincoln visit. Yia Yia's still kicks ass despite the blaring music, LOL. #GBR

poopinmybutt likes this.
  32. poopinmybutt

blue bloods tap room is pretty nice and laid back. i understand why quite a few people rag on their beers as most of their lineup is not good quite frankly, but if you like funky stuff their barrel aged saison is really good, maybe my favorite beer made in nebraska.

AlexM likes this.
  33. BrettHead

I haven't had BB beers in sometime (and I wouldn't know where to try them fresh besides driving my ass to the taproom at this point). But yeah they were like bad homebrew when I had them.

poopinmybutt likes this.
  34. AlexM

Trader

Funky, BA, Saison ... yes to all those! If this beer(s) in their regular lineup? Will be out there for a visit in two weeks and would love to give it a whirl.

35. poopinmybutt

as far as i know the barrel aged bretted saison is always on tap at the taproom, they have always had it any time i have been there (which admittedly is not real often). jakes cigars also had it for awhile, but as of last weekend it was no longer on tap there. i think bottles might be available at a couple places in town as well (most likely the still or meiers). blue blood also had a different barrel aged bretted saison a few months earlier too which was also good, but completely different (sweeter, almost resembling an oud bruin + a heavier wine taste). kinda feels like they just stumbled onto something good with these and while it's probably not much compared to some of the goodies you can get out in CA, but it's a nice beer at a nice price.

AlexM likes this.
  36. AlexM

Trader

Has anyone checked out the new brewery in Lincoln - Boiler Brewing Company??? Guess they opened up last month in the basement of the Grand Manse Building (10th & P). Head brewer won the 2015 Samuel Adams LongShot Award. Seems intriguing.

37. BrettHead

I haven't been yet, but I have heard good things

AlexM likes this.
  38. jwwhitney

jwwhitney Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2015 Nebraska

Went there a few weeks ago, only tried two beers there and got two Crowlers to take home, as I was in a bit of a rush. The beers were good, albeit with some of the potential issues of only being opened a month of so. The space inside is insanely nice however, would def reccomend bringing friends and chilling there.

AlexM likes this.
  39. AlexM

Trader

Had a chance to visit Boiler Brewing (new brewery - opened last month in downtown Lincoln) … and put it this way … if you Nebraska peeps are not going there, you are doing it WRONG! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tried 10 brews from Boiler and I was HIGHLY IMPRESSED! 3 of the ten were absolutely outstanding … AlcoHall & Oates (RIS that will be barrel aged for their 1 year anniversary in April 2017) … Hop Heaver Double IPA …. Raspberry Tart (which resembles New Glarus’ offering – that's a good thing).

For a brewery that’s only been open a month, Boiler’s beers are super impressive – rich flavors, nothing thin … easily the best overall lineup I’ve had from any brewery in the state of Nebraska (now I haven't tried them all, but have had my fair share).

Plus the space is super cool … in a basement of a historic building – has this sort of speakeasy steampunk vibe. They also have both crowlers and PINTS TO-GO (to-go pints come in this super cool glass jar thing). Really dug it – I predict much more goodness in the future from these guys. Go there now! :grinning:

40. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Zealot (539) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

I just went to Boiler Brewing for the first time on 5/17/15 for Lincoln Beer Week. Their first release of the fruit beers they are doing was Strawberry Tartcake. I dug it, as well as the taproom itself and the service from the employees. I also tried the Summer's Eve Hibiscus Saison. I will definitely return and and even after having only 2 beers it's early to say but Zipline has some serious competition for bragging rights when it comes to "Best Brewery in Lincoln, NE". It's just exciting to have a new good quality brewery in town to knock those couple other breweries farther down the list. So... YES, Nebraska peeps, I agree with AlexM. Hit up Boiler Brewing!

AlexM and poopinmybutt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.