Visiting Narragansett RI

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by groverbeer123, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groverbeer123

groverbeer123 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Jersey

My wife and I are visiting Narragansett this weekend was hoping to hit up nice bottle shop and craftbeer spot any suggestions please.

2. brblanch

brblanch Initiate (104) Jun 19, 2013 Rhode Island

South Kingstown, next town over, has Proclamation which is probably the best brewery in the state and worth the visit. I can't speak to Narragansett but Newport has a few good craft bars on Broadway.

mpmcguire11 and BergBeer like this.
  3. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

If in Pier area, Pier Liquors is solid. Wakefield Liquors about 2 miles away also has good selection.

Jwale73 likes this.
  4. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (637) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Mews Tavern in Wakefield has the largest immediate area selection. 69 taps, only 20 or so non-generic crafts but still enough to find something you'll like. Also note that with RI state law the breweries can only offer tastings and not full pours, but Mews typically has 1 or 2 Proclamation taps.

If you have the time and want to check out Newport 20 minutes away, the Broadway strip has several craft bars including Pour Judgement, Malt and Norey's (most highly rated). Oops just saw brblanch's post above...

BergBeer likes this.
  5. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,138) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Crazy Burger and Markos on Boon Street are BYOB. Hit Pier Liquors and then head over to either for lunch or dinner.

jhavs, Tom_in_RI and MKozaka like this.
  6. TheElectricOne

TheElectricOne Defender (653) Jan 31, 2015 Rhode Island

Not listed above, but Whaler's brewing co. is a great place to hang out. The beers not nearly as good as Proclamation, but they've got a cool taproom. Probably five minutes from Gansett. If you're going to Proclamation, go to Tilted Barn also, it's right down the street and has hours Friday and Saturday this weekend I believe.

Newport_beerguy likes this.
  7. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Agreed on Crazy Burger, just try to hit it at an off hour or be prepared to wait. Place can be packed, but food is delicious.

8. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,138) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Couldn't even get a like for it you stingy bastard :wink:

EnronCFO likes this.
  9. infiniti30

infiniti30 Initiate (0) May 12, 2016 Rhode Island

If you want to drive about 40 minutes west to Westerly, Rhode Island you can visit the Grey Sail Brewery and newly opened tap room. They make the best beer in Rhode Island, Captain's Daughter.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pinyin and mpmcguire11 like this.
  10. Tom_in_RI

Tom_in_RI Initiate (57) May 5, 2015 Rhode Island

If you drive 40 minutes to Westerly and hit Grey Sail, then you should also drive another 10 minutes or so and hit Beer'd in Stonington, CT. They just started canning, this week its Hobbit Juice. I have a couple left from a 4pack of Dogs and Boats from 2 weeks ago which is outstanding.

Another big vote for Crazy Burger, I drive 25 minutes to eat there (and I sprung for a like, not a cheap bastard).

11. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

Fixed that for you.

12. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I'm highly selective regarding my likes, unlike the rest of the floozies on this site.

Jwale73 likes this.
  13. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Another vote for Proclamation. Pretty low key and the Derivative Series is great. Big release of two different sours on Friday if you are there prior to 5p. If you're not interested, the tap room should be a little more chill on Sat.

14. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (365) Sep 19, 2013 New York

I stop here everytime I am coming back from Providence for growlers (they only charge $2 for the growler too). Dick's Liquors not far from the brewery sells cases of pretty much everything from Grey Sail. Haven't had anything from Proclamation yet, But Captain's Daughter and Pour Judgement are the best I've had from RI.

Newport isn't too great for craft beer at the moment. Went to Malt the last time I was there and it was kind of disappointing. The wife and I wanted to stop at Brick Alley Pub on the way back to the hotel at 10pm on Saturday and they were closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.