Visiting Portland (2019)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by guajolote, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,247) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Made a quick trip to Portland/Vancouver to pick up competition entries and got to visit Fortside, Grains of Wrath, Trap Door, Wayfinder, Hair of the Dog, Modern Times, and pFriem before returning. Highlights were the Cerne Pivo at Wayfinder, HotD Don (and $2.50 small pours of Adam), and the Raspberry Brut IPA at pFriem, though I didn’t have a dud anywhere. We even had good luck with the uhaul, both in finding parking spots and the fact that it escaped being pillaged.

2. Structures

Structures Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2017 Washington

Sorry if I'm being "that guy" by asking this, but I'm going to be in Portland this weekend for the release of our collaboration beer with Ruse. My wife and daughter are coming along as well, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Wayfinder allows kids. I've been a few times, but honestly can't recall if they do or not. Thank you in advance!

Erik-P and jpbebeau like this.
  3. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Yes, I believe they even have a kids menu. Ruse somehow allows kids too despite not serving food.

Structures likes this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,194) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Last time I was at Wayfinder, I saw a group of high school aged kids in there for lunch.

Structures likes this.
  5. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Yes, and the kids’ steak frites is a steal, @Structures.

Structures likes this.
  6. hhughes2008

hhughes2008 Initiate (91) Oct 25, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

My wife and I are looking to visit Portland this summer. What's a good neighborhood to stay in that offers walk-ability to bars, restaurants, etc?

7. blackcloud

blackcloud Disciple (368) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

Inner Southeast is the generally accepted standard answer for this. Best bang for your buck. That said, it's a very easy city to get around via public transit, etc.

hhughes2008 likes this.
  8. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,201) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Not really much to add to this, but blackcloud's comment about good/easy public transportation is something to keep in mind. Hotel prices have sky rocketed in the summer, especially any place downtown/in the Pearl area. You can save a lot of money by staying out by the airport (for example), and just taking the Max into town from there.

That being said, if you want that quintessential Pdx neighborhood vibe and experience, then I'd try to stay in the inner se/ne areas, just as blackcloud suggested. Good luck and have fun.

hhughes2008, vurt and BBThunderbolt like this.
  9. Structures

Structures Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2017 Washington

I don't think I've ever spent more than like $12 on Uber rides around Portland, no matter where I've stayed.....it's a magical place.

10. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (132) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Portland Laws are different in that you can have people under 21 up to a certain time even if you don't serve food. I know it's different in Seattle but wasn't sure if Bellingham was the same boat.

11. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (350) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

Planning a PNW trip soon and I don't think I have to look for any resources further than this thread. Wanted to drop in and give you props @guajolote

TheBrewsky, kemoarps, vurt and 3 others like this.
  12. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (518) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Noticed Ruse wasn’t on the list ... just wondering why the omission? Simply not list-worthy? Thanks!

13. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,683) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

They were in the "Newcomers" section, which was removed from this edition of "Visiting Portland" because this thread is now yearly instead of quarterly, as mandated by BA.

Ruse is list-worthy, in my opinion, and probably would have been a candidate for the "Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brew Pubs" section if we were still updating quarterly.

Well spotted, @AlexM . I'd file this one under "Unintended Consequences."

kemoarps, sharpski and AlexM like this.
  14. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (518) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

All good ... yeah I tried a couple of Ruse hazies at Festival of Dankness in San Diego last summer and thought they were solid. Will be visiting PDX in June so planning to pay then a visit. CHEERS.

15. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Made it up to Portland last weekend. Some of my thoughts.

1) Upright was easily my favorite brewery I visited. I am a sucker for saisons and pilsners, they had some great examples of both.

2) Wayfinder threw me for a loop. It being co-owned by the owner of Relapse, all their metal themed beers, I was expecting a more metal vibe and aesthetic for the place, kinda like how Baerlic ran with the '90's Cali-punk thing. Cool to hear OM in the bathroom, would have been better if that music was played throughout, IMO. Really, the metal attributes of the places were secondary and if I didn't know the bands the beers were named after, if I wasn't aware that the Relapse guy was an owner of the place, I wouldn't have any idea of the metal connection involved. Seemed more like a more upscale brew-pub. I was definitely hoping for a more laid back, casual experience than it provided, personally. Probably on me for having inaccurate expectations and for what it is, it is a good choice. Really did enjoy the beer, really did enjoy the food, really hated the check (but worth it). Would definitely go back next time in town, but with more appropriate expectations and I'd try to grab a seat at the bar rather than a table.

3) Baerlic was a unplanned visit and a pleasant surprise. Not a 90's Cali Punk Fan so can't say that side of the brewery worked for me (though to be fair, listening to the guys like Propagandhi, Descendents, Pennywise, etc., is certainly better than other stuff), but their set up is generally the type of brewery/taproom I like to visit. Smaller, laid back, good beer, friendly staff. That or Cascade was probably my favorite taproom I visited. The amount of options available at Cascade was great. If I lived in Portland, Cascade would be a random, once in a while visit but as an out of towner it was definitely a must visit for me. I am not a sour fan, but they do a good job with them.

4) Hair of the Dog, maybe the first brewery I have been to in ages without any music going on which I can't say I liked. Even bad music can be better than no music I found. Their beers were good but tough to discover a new place and have all the beers of interest be so high in abv, limited what I was able to try. Despite all that, they hit the spot.I'd happily return but plan things out better and do it on a day when they were the only brewery I was visiting, not one amongst others.

5) Tried going to the Deschutes Pub downtown but that place was absolutely jam packed. At 2 PM. You Portlanders love to get your drinking on early it would appear. Didn't bother sticking around, as the bar had no seating.

All in all, a nice trip. Been wanting to return to Portland for a long time now, so glad I finally did.

MonkeyBread, nsheehan, NWer and 6 others like this.
  16. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Glad you enjoyed your visit. I sympathize with your Deschutes experience, as it mirrors similar experiences I've encountered there as well. From my experience, most of the visitors who stop in, aren't really there for the beer. The pub food there is pretty good, and for the pearl, prices are fairly reasonable. So a lot of out of town visitors will stop in for a meal and maybe a beer, as the Deschutes name is one they're familiar with. I don't think a lot of locals go there, as Deschutes beer is pretty easy to find all over town, good food is easy to find in pdx without an hour plus wait, and most folks don't want to put up with the hassle of dealing with traffic, trying to find parking, and then dealing with a long wait for a table. Next time you visit, it would be my recommendation that you substitute Deschutes for someplace else. Given your eclectic musical tastes, maybe give the Apex a try. I personally hate the music they pipe in, but it sounds like we have very different tastes in music, and that you'll likely love it there (they also have a very good, albeit somewhat pricey, beer selection there).

#56 John_M, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    BBThunderbolt likes this.
  17. derftron

derftron Devotee (442) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Thats random about hair of the dog. They pretty much always have blues playing when I visit. And yeah, sounds like Apex would be your jam

18. denver10

Society

Yeah, I had back up plans when Deschutes fell through. Ended up doing Cascade and Hair of the Dog, which was lined up for afterwards anyways, just opened the door for some extra drinking at Cascade.

And interesting about my timing with Hair of the Dog and music.

Typically when visiting other cities, I like to hit up the breweries over bars but I'll keep Apex in mind for my next trip. I just reviewed the tap list and it looked good. I was able to hit a couple concerts while up in Portland, and that was the reason for the this trip (especially the timing of it), so I was able to gett my music fix while I was.

sharpski, kemoarps and vurt like this.
  19. vurt

Society

Thanks for posting such a detailed review, @denver10 . I enjoy reading peoples' impressions when they visit Portland, good and bad. Glad to hear you had a good time.

And yeah, I'll toss in another recommendation for Apex. I think you'll like that atmosphere, if your Kyuss avatar is anything to go by.

Side note: I see you're from New Mexico. I grew up there, and I'm looking forward to visiting my folks in Albuquerque in a couple weeks. (Fresh La Cumbre at the Westside taproom, aw yeah.)

BBThunderbolt, kemoarps and denver10 like this.
  20. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (333) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Blues music? I don't recall hearing any music on my last visits. If there is any music it must be played pretty low that you don't even pay attention to it.

21. denver10

Society

@vurt, I made it over to that new La Cumbre taproom when it first opened. Definitely a bit different in vibe/feel/atmosphere than the original, but the beer is the same....fresh and great. I prefer and go to the original location but if I lived West Side and it was more convenient I might change that pattern up.

vurt likes this.
  22. derftron

Alan is close with Curtis Salgado. I would hear his stuff or other blues music fairly often when stopping by. Usually at a noticeable volume. But I’m sure they go without music fairly often as well

23. vurt

Society

Definitely a different vibe, and I do prefer the Girard location. But the new taproom is about a mile and a half from my folks' place, so I can't complain about that kind of convenience.

Looks like Marble has a new place in Rio Rancho out near Rust Hospital, so I'm looking forward to checking that out too.

I have another NM question, but I think I'll head over to the SW forum to see if I can dig up some intel...

24. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (151) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

Chicago area BA here. Not (unfortunately) visiting Portland, but a buddy is going to be driving back from there in the next week or so, so looking for recs on the best freshies available in cans/bottles. I'm old school, just looking for clean IPAs, in other words, what I think of when I think of Portland beer.

If there's another thread that covers, let me know. Thx.

25. denver10

Society

@vurt, any questions about NM feel free to hit me up with a message and I will answer as best I can.

26. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

6ers of pFriem IPA in cans should meet that need

Number1Framer, sharpski and vurt like this.
  27. derftron

pFriem IPA
    Gigantic the Time warp IPA
    Gigantic Sassy Pony
    Block 15 Fresh pow
    Breakaide Wanderlust
    Deschutes usually has a good classic IPA on the shelves

For non IPAs that are clean and refreshing

Heater Allen Pils
    Zoiglhaus Pils
    Wayfinder Hell
    Fort George Optimist pale ale

jakecattleco likes this.
  28. vurt

Society

Aside from the excellent recommendation from @jakecattleco , here are a few others which should scratch that old school proper IPA itch:
    • Culmination Phaedrus
    • Ecliptic Starburst
    • Block 15 Sticky Hands (double IPA)
    • Georgetown Bodhizafa
    • Georgetown Lucille
    All of these are easy to find. FWIW, Bodhizafa is pretty much my favorite IPA available in cans these days.

EDIT: If you find yourself in a place that has Barley Brown's Pallet Jack IPA on tap, and also fills crowlers, DO NOT HESITATE. Grab 2.

TankSlapper and jakecattleco like this.
  29. derftron

Also, Ex Novo Elliot IPA works

vurt likes this.
  30. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Great recs here, especially some personal favorites, Pallet Jack, Sticky Hands, Bodhi, and Wanderlust. And echo the rec on doubling up on Pallet Jack crowlers!

TankSlapper likes this.
  31. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I'd rather have no music than metal. But, I don't particularly like metal, either the music or the attached aesthetic. Clearly, our mileages vary. Glad you had a fun trip!

32. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,124) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Welcome back, and thanks for the detailed report! What shows did you catch while in town? As for your comments, I am starting to think Upright might be in the top 3 breweries in the country. No one does saisons quite as well as they do, definitely not the variety that they have. And the atmosphere in the taproom is special. They clearly take a lot of pride in what they do, but they aren't the least bit pretentious about it.

As for Wayfinder, I agree, the atmosphere isn't as metal as I'd like, but the quality more than makes up for it. I hope you got to try some of their pilsners, they've brewed a few different fantastic ones.

vurt likes this.
  33. denver10

Society

All I had at Wayfinder were their lagers. I had their Helles and their Italian Pilsner. Both were great and I was really tempted to return there the following day to try their other offerings, but too many others places in town I needed to check out. And glad I waited until Sunday to try Upright, because I would have been just as tempted to make a return visit to them as well.

Hit up OM @ Wonder Ballroom on Sunday, hit up Usnea/Abstracter/Hissing @ Twilight Bar and Cafe on Friday. Both shows were good, OM definitely my favorite of the two. I thought the Wonder Ballroom was a cool venue and Twilight Bar was the "dive-eist" musical joint I have been to in decades.

vurt and sharpski like this.
  34. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (151) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

Thanks for the recs! No idea which of these brews I'll end up with, but am definitely looking forward to some great Portland beers.

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  35. weaverr

weaverr Aspirant (203) Jun 10, 2008 California

Deschutes is always like that, and it's almost all tourists in there. Don't get me wrong, the food and beer are great, but all of us that live here have pretty much the same experience you did. I imagine it's that everyone has heard of Deschutes and so it's on everyone's list as a place to stop in Portland.

The Relapse guy also owns the Sizzle Pie locations in Portland, which feel a little more "metal" than Wayfinder does. When Wayfinder first opened there really wasn't the slightest hint of a metal influence. It has slowly been creeping in through their branding, so we'll see what happens over the next 5 years with that space. Personally, I'd love if they fully embraced the metal side of things.

denver10 likes this.
  36. rrock44

rrock44 Devotee (443) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

The same could said for Bend. Every time I have visited Bend, getting into Deschutes was a no go. Simply went a block over to Bend Brewing. Problem solved.

37. imposterzilla

imposterzilla Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2019 Washington

Teote House Cafe had pretty good South American style cuisine with really good selections of craft beer.The food itself is a great draw.

afrokaze likes this.
  38. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

couple auxilary questions that i couldn’t dig up with quick search:

- should I hit the Oakshire taproom vs. actual brewery? Looking for some Watershed cans to go, if that matters.

- cheapest/most available shop for some de Garde bottles?

- best place for a beer and vista over the Big River?

39. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Champion (879) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Watershed cans can be found just about anywhere - any grocery store, even. Just be sure to check the dates! As far as de Garde bottles...the only places that MIGHT have them are Tin Bucket or Arch Bridge. de Garde doesn't distribute much at all.

brother_rebus likes this.
  40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm not positive of this, but I don't think the Oakshire brewery location is open for tastings or bottle/can purchases any more. So definitely go to the taproom (which as I assume you know, is in downtown Eugene, not Portland).

For de Garde bottles in the Portland area, I would recommend Arch Bridge. I was there on Sunday and they had Crab, Kriek premier and regular Kriek I believe. They usually have some bottles for onsite consumption only as well. Closer to downtown PDX, I guess I would recommend Tin Bucket. I think they had bottles of Broken Truck 2 and 3 for sale as of a week ago.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. If you're talking about the Columbia river, then I guess I would recommend Full Sail in Hood River. pFriem and Walking man make better beer and are close to the river, but there's no view to speak of from the tasting room. Thunder Island Brewing is also right on the river, but I've never been there and don't know if there's much of a view (beers I've had from them have been so-so).

brother_rebus and m100 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.