Visiting Portland (2019)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by guajolote, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M (1,873) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Would also keep an eye out for apa's, IPA's and dipa's from pfreim. While they're located in Hood River, their stuff is pretty readily available all over town. Also, if you happen across any Bodhizafas (cans and draft), don't hesitate to order it.

On a related topic, most restaurants in pdx tend to have something decent on tap or in bottle/can. I'm not sure any place can top Higgins still (recommend sitting on the bistro side, unless you're in the mood for a full on fine dining experience), depending on what you like or are in the mood for. Otherwise, places my wife and I like include Little bird, Nostrana, Bluehour, Canards, Moules (very solid beer list here), Bistro Agnes, Tasty n Alder. If you want some place that is a good value with a good beer selection, it's hard to go wrong with the Lardo/Grassa/Beer o'clock combination.

Good luck.

weaverr and BBThunderbolt like this.
  2. jpbebeau

jpbebeau (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

First time visiting Portland with a puppy. First time visiting anywhere with puppy. Where could we grab lunch today (as a family) and sit outside with her en route to Bend? HotD obviously—Wayfinder allow dogs outside? Ecliptic? Other? Easy on/off I5 preferred.

kemoarps likes this.
  3. jason_nwx

jason_nwx (840) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

I believe yes to Ecliptic but no to Wayfinder. The outdoor tables at Wayfinder are a little tight (our pups like their space from strangers, so this makes sense to me). Breakside Dekum allows dogs and it's not too far off I-5.

kemoarps and jpbebeau like this.
  4. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Belmont Station allows dogs in the outside patio area. Menu is a bit limited (sandwiches and such from the attached food truck), but it's pretty good stuff. Beer selection obviously, is first rate.

5. weaverr

weaverr (0) Jun 10, 2008 California

In the Pearl District, I-405 adjacent - Von Ebert, Deschutes, Rogue, and Backwoods all have food and outdoor seating and are dog friendly (sidewalk tables).
    Also near I-5 - Ecliptic, Stormbreaker, HotD, Breakside (both Dekum and Slabtown are pretty close to interstate access). Even Great Notion on Alberta isn't a short distance off I-5.

Stormbreaker and Ecliptic both have huge patios and are near each other, so that's probably your safest bet. Deschutes is typically packed, be sure to have backup options if that's your number one.

kemoarps and jpbebeau like this.
  6. jpbebeau

Thanks, all!

kemoarps likes this.
  7. derftron

derftron (600) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Lucky Lab. Beer is solid, but they are very dog friendly

jpbebeau and NWer like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,880) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Pic of pupper?

9. hhughes2008

hhughes2008 (0) Oct 25, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

Hi--I'm looking to do a day trip to Hood River to hit Pfriem and maybe do waterfalls/hiking. Is renting a car the best option for doing this? It looks like there might be a bus that goes to Hood River. I'd rather not rent a car through the traditional method, if possible.

10. jpbebeau

11. derftron

i would definitely do a rental car. Would allow you to to stop anywhere on the way for a hike and then scoot up to HR. Also, you could drive to Solera brewing for one of the best brewery views in the state.

12. psychotia

psychotia (0) Jun 27, 2009 Wisconsin

Hey all. I just posted something similar in the “Visiting Seattle” thread, but I needed to share my thanks here as well. Wife and I just returned from our vacation and this thread was super helpful for planning. The many suggestions and related discussion was plenty for us to plan our taproom adventures. We LOVED Upright, and it was super satisfying to finally make it to Hair of the Dog since Adam has always been a special beer to me. We can’t wait to make it out again in the future.

Cheers and many thanks!!

13. Number1Framer

Number1Framer (402) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Got an apeshit roadtrip planned for August and it starts with a night in Portland before we raid De Garde then escape to Vancouver Island. Primarily looking for the best bottleshops I can use to fill a couple boxes to ship myself from Port Angeles, WA before we cross the border. We will have a car and I will have a preggo sober driver, so any worthwhile breweries near said bottleshops might be a plus. Looking for Russian River (Pliney, sours), TRVE (loved their Cursed sour APA), HOTD, Block 15, Great Notion (west coast IPAs - no haze please), and any other random/hyperlocal sours and WC IPAs you all might recommend. Have had pFreim stuff before so their IPA is already on my radar as an option. 2 other additional questions:

Is there any chance in hell of finding a bottle of Fremont B3K? Trying to liquidate all my large format stuff these days but damn I want this one. I'm guessing it's long gone but never know if it was sitting so thought I'd ask. Would also be cool with snagging any Fremont BA stuff. If not I can always try and set up an IP trade but we are on a tight timeline.

Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place, but does anyone here have any experience with crossing the US/CA border by ferry with bottles? We will be sending our pre-loaded car out to Portland prior to arrival and it will be pre-packed with some select bottles for another BA we plan to meet once in Canada. Are the agents at the Port Angeles ferry terminal heading into Canada super exact about ounces brought in? I haven't crossed an international border since I was a little kid so no idea what to expect in terms of duties fees, etc.

14. DefenCorps

DefenCorps (1,282) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

You will not find RR IPAs in bottles in OR. Sours are reasonably available, though tend to slowly disappear until the next drop. As for TRVE, you're closer to the source than we are. Non-hazy IPAs from Great Notion? Not sure such a thing exists. HotD Adam/Fred/cans of IPAs are easy to find around town, though the barrel aged beers are mostly brewery only. Seek out Barley Browns IPAs, though they're tap/growler/crowler only.Georgetown too, along with pFriem. Based on your interest, though, I'd almost just recommend hitting up HotD (for barrel aged stuff only) and then picking 2 of these 3 bottle shops: Beermongers, Belmont Station and John's Marketplace for widest selection and knowledgeable staff who can help. Belmont have their bottle and tap lists online and are quite up to date. You've left off Upright, who, in an unscientific poll of people with discerning palates, are the best brewery in the state, especially if you like saisons and barrel aged saisons (fruity, funky and delicately sour as opposed to enamel stripping sourness). Plenty of bottles can be found at Beermongers and Belmont.

Long gone, though there might be the place off the beaten path that has bottles. Unlikely, though. You could look for Rusty Nail, which might linger if you're lucky.

15. vurt

vurt (1,136) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

TRVE beers have been available around Portland for a while now. I've seen them at Belmont Station and John's Marketplace. They even showed up at my local pub of choice, Orenco Taphouse. I don't know if we get ongoing distribution or if that was just a one-time drop and the bottles aren't moving off the shelf that fast.

Anyway, it's worth keeping your eyes open for them.

For non-hazy IPAs, here are some favorites that are easy to find in cans in Portland:
    • Culmination Phaedrus
    • Ecliptic Starburst
    • Georgetown Bodhizafa
    • Georgetown Lucille
    • Block 15 Sticky Hands (double IPA)
    • Ex Novo Eliot IPA
    For sours, heed the advice of @DefenCorps and pick up some Upright bottles. They're easy to find and they are great. Don't miss out. I also like the wild ales from pFriem and Little Beast. If you haven't had anything from Ale Apothecary, or they aren't on your radar, you should check them out. Their bottles are pretty easy to find these days. They're pricy, but unique. Well worth looking into.

16. distantmantra

distantmantra (740) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I've brought beer from BC back into WA before, but I've never taken beer into BC. You're better off asking in the Canada forum.

kemoarps, Number1Framer and vurt like this.
  17. Number1Framer

Number1Framer (402) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Thanks for the tips, should be all the info I need. I'll pull up a map tonight and hammer out a plan. Hadn't heard of Upright and will definitely be sure to grab something from them in addition to the others discussed. That should be enough info to blow way past my beer budget like usual! Thanks guys!

kemoarps, weaverr, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  18. ajfa531

ajfa531 (0) Jun 2, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

First trip to the northwest starts on Friday. I am very excited to finally make it out.

Thank you to everyone for the info in this thread.

- Joe

kemoarps, weaverr and Reidrover like this.
  19. itracy63

itracy63 (0) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I’m sure a ferry is no different then driving across the border, that being said I drove across the border in 2015. I googled what I was allowed to cross the border with and I believe it was 180 oz. I had most of my beer collection with me, I think it was around 600 oz. I called the Canadian border agents where I was going to be crossing and asked if that was going to be an issue and he said no. Border crossings can vary greatly based on the individual agent you get, in my experiences. Also, Canadian agents have always been waaay more chill than American agents. It’s been easier for me to get into Canada than my own damn country.

Number1Framer likes this.
  20. kemoarps

kemoarps (1,173) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Similar experiences for me: going INTO Canada tends to be much more chill of a crossing than coming back into the states, and it will vary guard to guard. I've come back down from Vancouver with boxes of beer and had no issue, I figure so long as it doesn't look like you're trying to set up an import/export business they're not gonna have a huge problem.

distantmantra and Number1Framer like this.
  21. hopley

hopley (1,134) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Good morning PNW homes...I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but after a successful visit to the Portland area last February, yet unsuccessful in scoring a Broken Truck, I am finally sitting here in the great state of Maine looking at my first Broken Truck!! The box arrived a couple days ago with a few other fine deGardes that I can't wait to crack open!

That leads to my question - should I waste no time in drinking it? Or should I give it some time in the bottle, after of course the mandatory "sit and admire it for a while time..." I ask for the obvious reasons, but also because I was lucky enough recently to score a Duck Duck Gooze, and the kind soul who traded it to me suggested I sit on that one for a couple / few years as the mellowing time would only do it some favors as it was a little harsh for his tastes so soon after release date / bottling. Anyway, thanks for any advice! Cheers!

chinochino likes this.
  22. ryno0384

ryno0384 (0) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois

Hello Portlanders. Visiting your great city next Tuesday July 2nd and flying back home that Saturday sometime. Since my wife and I will be there over the 4th.....any good spots to witness a stellar fireworks display? I've done my research quite thoroughly regarding culinary spots and am going to hit Great Notion and also hit Tillamook for Degarde....in addition to Modern Times Belmont. Anyone know of any special beer events/tappings or 4th of July week releases that I should line up for? I will monitor social media for sure. Thanks for any input. Cheers all.

23. derftron

if in Portland. Dont miss Upright, Wayfinder, or Hair of the Dog (if you like high ABV beers).

For fireworks, there are probably a dozen rooftop bars near the center of the city that may have a good view of the fireworks.

if this place is open that day, i would give it a shot

https://www.yelp.com/biz/revolution-hall-rooftop-bar-portland

Scottie_A25 and ryno0384 like this.
  24. derftron

vurt and jakecattleco like this.
  25. vurt

vurt (1,136) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I'm in. That sounds terrific.

I'm going to be That Guy: While I understand the desire to get breweries of various sizes in the competition, I would be happy to swap in Occidental for Breakside. Or Heater Allen for Deschutes. Or Heater Allen for Wayfinder, for that matter.

Shrug. It just seems odd to me to have a conversation about the best pilsners in the NW without Heater Allen getting a seat at the table. But it ain't my competition, and there are some good names in there.

26. derftron

I kind of glossed over the article, but i wonder if they are all brewing a special pilsner for this competition or if they are just bringing their standard version? if its a special brew, i understand why HA may not come, as they are a pretty small shop and may not have the bandwidth. if its just the flagship pilsner from each brewery, then yes, HA should definitely be there.

27. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

From the article:

"The breweries – four from Oregon and four from Washington – were invited to create and brew an original German-style pilsner and submit it for judging by the public and a panel of experts."

jakecattleco likes this.
  28. derftron

Welp, there you have it. Reading is Fun-da-mental.

I would think this is why H.A isnt participating. but it would be a damn shame if they werent invited at all

jakecattleco and BBThunderbolt like this.
  29. derftron

This just dropped on Upright brewing twitter feed. I hadn’t heard a peep about this.

4-way collaboration with DeGarde, Ale Apoth, and Block 15. Bottles go on sale tomorrow with proceeds going to charity. I’m definitely interested!

30. ryno0384

ryno0384 (0) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois

Awesome. In Portland on honeymoon. Any other special beer releases over the next few days I should be aware of?

31. mjmcnns

mjmcnns (0) Jan 28, 2014 Canada (BC)

Are there any breweries that kids aren't permitted in at all? I appreciate that some are more kid friendly than others, but juat trying to get a sense of any strict 21+ spots. We are staying near Cascade for geographic reference.

JRuff likes this.
  32. derftron

apex isn't a brewery, but its a beer bar. 21+

wayfinder is all ages, but I almost never see kids there. same with Hair of the Dog and Upright.

33. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Assembly Brewing in SE is 21+. That's the only brewery in town that I know of that is strictly adults only.

34. ppilot

ppilot (0) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Stopped by and tried this out on Friday last week. This is 90% an Ale Apothecary beer as it's super acidic. I almost bought a bottle but at the last second switched to a taster which ended up being the right call as I don't think I could drink more than 4oz of it.

35. salemcheech

salemcheech (0) Apr 24, 2013 Oregon

Gigantic has always been 21+

36. Benish

Benish (923) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Trader

Hi all, do any breweries or bottle shops carry bottle shippers? I've contacted Belmont and DeGarde and both said no. I’m flying in for a family trip but would like to ship beer back. Thanks!

37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

When will you be here? I have a good number of left over wine shippers and would be happy to let you have a couple.

kemoarps likes this.
  38. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

If you can't get together with @John_M , in the links of the OP of this thread there are a couple places listed that sell them.

39. hhughes2008

hhughes2008 (0) Oct 25, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

My wife and I just got back from our visit to Portland (visiting from Minneapolis) and I thought I'd share my experience.

First and foremost, I managed to make it the entire trip without having a single New England IPA...and I can't tell you how refreshing that is. I spent the whole weekend drinking nothing but west coast IPAs, Pilsners, and Saisons. A few random thoughts:

-Little Beast was probably the biggest surprise for me. Such a cool vibe and neighborhood. I preferred their Saisons/Sours to that of Upright.
    -Grain and Gristle was perfect for brunch. Not crowded at all and I got to try a few Upright beers.
    -Day trip to Hood River and visiting pFriem was probably my top highlight
    -It seems like every major street has a nice bottle shop and/or beer bar. I also couldn't believe the bottle selection at the airport.
    -If any brewery was going to disappoint, I thought it might be HoTD--but it definitely didn't. That place is truly one of a kind.

We'll definitely be back soon. Cheers!

Bond111, kemoarps, NWer and 12 others like this.
  40. jakecattleco

jakecattleco (1,238) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Glad you enjoyed the trip, and I absolutely support the trip to pFreim, great beer and scenery!

Key-in and vurt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.